Join Today

Went to sight in my new out of the factory sealed box Remington 700 SPS today, didn't get one round off. The extractor piece is chipped so instead of the round sliding into position against the bolt the extractor piece pushes the round forward. That little extra bit of space does not allow the bolt to move all the way forward and no way can it lock down to fire position. If you run your finger over the extractor it will cut you it is so sharp and it takes a little chunk out of the shell.

The guy at Remington told me I mounted the scope wrong and that was it! If I didn't believe him I could send it in but it would not even get looked at for 5-6 weeks. No sorry, no let me help you with your new gun - just you mounted the scope wrong. I informed him that the bolt slides perfectly into place without a round in it and that a licensed gunsmith at the range agreed with my assessment. I also told him that 5-6 weeks would put me past my Antelope hunt and elk hunt. Remington will not refund my money so I can get another gun, they will not replace the gun, and will not speed up the lead time for repair - they will not even provide the shipping cost to send it in for evaluation. So I will not have a rifle to hunt with this year. I am heartbroken, stressed and don't know what to do. :(

Start with your local gun dealer. If that guy values as a customer and wants to make you happy then he'll make it right.

There are tons of things he can do to make this go away. He can swap out the bolt or the extractor or swap out the entire gun itself. Also, if he has a smith then the smith can fix the problem. This is an easy fix and if your local dealer isn't willing to make it right then your beef is with him.

Every manufacturer (EVERY manufacturer) will have a slight number of defects in their products. You can't mass produce anything without having some flaws. They will and can make it right, just not on your schedule - and that's unfortunate. But if your dealer can swap the gun out then he can deal with Remington's schedule and you can go off and make the hunt.

Remember this = you are the consumer, you are right. Your dealer needs to be reminded of that fact.
    \"It takes a big person to defend those not capable. It takes an even bigger person to defend those not willing.\" BC

Rem700 SPS .300WM | 24\" Fluted #9 | Tubb Bolt and Recoil Lug | Holland Radial Brake | B&C Medalist M40 | USO T-Pal

Thanks BOBK4T!

I got it from Buds Guns online who sent it to me here in Colorado. As it was in a factory sealed box and all I did was order it my beef was with Remington. All I asked of Remington was to replace it or refund me so I can hunt. Remington didn't even appologize once. Anyway maybe I should hit up Buds, it's just difficult because they are in a different state and I know it's not their fault. Or do I pay a gunsmith to fix something which is brand new? Either way I feel ripped off and disappointed with my purchase - after all of this Im not going to be happy when I see or shoot this gun knowing the kind of business I bought it from (Remington not Buds).

Super Moderator
    All unfired rifles/guns have a grace period for being returned. Sounds like you need to call buds not Remington.

Pay a local gunsmith and get it fixed yourself. Will save lots of time and grief that way

I took this off of another forum. Remington isn't the only one with problems.

ok so here is the story,

I went in to my local gun shop today to start the paperwork on a New Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter Brush. It came in yesterday so I wanted to take a look at it and get the paperwork done to start my waiting period. But after looking at the gun I noticed a few things....

First - the scope was mounted and bore sighted, but it was on cockeyed. The vertical line on the duplex was off center. (ok not that big of a deal. Loosen some screw, straighten the scope, and so on)

Second - the trigger was set to 1.25lbs. Now this is an Accutrigger and I know its adjustable. But come on, on a Hunting rifle you (Savage) as a company are going to send out a hunting rifle with a 1.25lb trigger. Are you crazy? I usually like a 2.5-3lb trigger on my hunting rifles. A little light for a hunter for some peoples tastes but I am used to it and feel safe with it. But as a major rifle manufacturer is it really a good idea to send out your hunting (specific) rifles with that light of a trigger?

Third - The Accutrigger would get hung up. I cycled the bolt to test the trigger the first time and that was how I found out that the trigger pull was so lite. That was when I had the shop owner grab a scale to test it. So we tested it three times and took an average. 1.25lbs, WOW But back to the accutrigger problem. I cylced the bolt a second time, no problem, then a third time and it locked up. It felt like the accutrigger was hitting the metal portion of the trgger itself and locking itself out from being able to travel between the opening in the center of the trigger. So I checked closely to see if that was what was happening. Nope. No such luck. the accutrigger just wouldn't budge. I removed the bolt and tried it again. Worked fine. So I cycled the bolt and checked again. Out of ten attepts it happened another 4 times. No idea what was going on there. Nor did the gunsmith/store owner.

ok, at this point I'm thinking three strikes and you are out. but it gets worse. Now if this was the Axis line then maybe I can over look a couple of these faults. But this is nowhere near the bottom of the Savage line in quality or price!

Fouth - the camo dip on it was bad. There were white spots where the camo did not get down into the checkering on the stock. And other parts where it just looked like the camo job was done very hastily without taking the time to make sure that it was done properly. There were about 8 or so spots where the camo did not adhere to the stock. Ok so maybe I'm being picky. But when I'm paying that much for a rifle I do not want one that looks like it was made by a inexperienced or careless factory worker.

Fifth - the recoil pad was installed incorrectly. Now I have seen a number of botched recoil pad installs. Hell I have even received a horrible recoil pad install myself. So maybe I'm a little sensitive about the issue because of my past experiences in this department. But this one was installed about 1/4 inch too low. It has a 1/4 inch gap at the top and it stuck out by 1/4 inch at the bottom. How does shite like this leave the factory and not get picked up by quality control? I just don't understand it!

6th - The Savage Arms website lists this rifle as coming with a detachable box magazine. The one I received today had a blind magazine. Meaning no detachable magazine. No BDL style opening bottom metal either. It was a fixed ADL style set up. This is NOT what I ordered. I used the exact SKU from the Savage website and gave that to my gun shop to use for the order. The SKU on the box of the rifle that showed today matched the SKU from the website. The one that showed up today was the correct SKU. But did not have the detachable magazine! WTF?

I fell in love with this rifle after much deliberation and after a couple long threads on this site discussing the choice of this rifle over a Remington 700 and a Howa. Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong discussion.

I have heard of people getting Savages that were extremely accurate, and some that were not so accurate. But I have not heard stories of people getting a very poorly rifle. But I also never researched the subject. I never thought Savage would allow such a poorly made rifle to pass quality control at the factory. Maybe they just don't have a quality control department. If they do you couldn't prove it by what I saw today.

I had the owner send the rifle back and have a new one sent out. But I have lost a good deal of confidence in Savage as a company. What do you all think I should do? What would you do? Should I be worried? Should I even consider staying with Savage for this new rifle? Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:15 AM by 00Scot

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne
    All unfired rifles/guns have a grace period for being returned. Sounds like you need to call buds not Remington.
    +1

My point exactly. The bottom line is this: Buds gave you a faulty product and they have to make it right. Think of this analogy - You buy a new porsche and the wheels fall off. Who do you call? Not Porsche. You go back to the guy you got it from.

You have rights as a consumer brother, exercise those rights. I know it's not the fast answer, but it's the right one. Do NOT eat this mistake, it's not your burden to bear. Put the heat on the guy who gave you the faulty product.
    \"It takes a big person to defend those not capable. It takes an even bigger person to defend those not willing.\" BC

Rem700 SPS .300WM | 24\" Fluted #9 | Tubb Bolt and Recoil Lug | Holland Radial Brake | B&C Medalist M40 | USO T-Pal

It might be cheaper and quicker to just take it to a local gunsmith and have it fixed.
    Once you factor in shipping costs, driving time etc..

I wouldn't lay this entirely on Remington. I'm sure that if you called his supervisor that
    something would get done. The guy you talked to on the phone is just an idiot.

This is why I only buy vintage guns. Back in the day companies like Remington and Winchester had experienced people who hand adjusted and inspected every firearm before it left the factory. If an error did slip by them they were quick to fix it properly or replace it at no cost to the consumer so they had a vested interest in making sure their products worked as advertised before they went out the door. Sadly, things are not this way anymore. In order to meet their profit requirements firearms companies today rely on computer driven machines to manufacture their parts with tolerances that are supposedly "close enough" to not need final fitting and adjustment. The parts pop out of a machine and some half brained nitwit is paid minimum wage to slap them together just the way they are. No final adjustment, no testing, no inspection. They just get shoved into a box and pushed out the door. If they are going to use shoddy a manufacturing process like this, the least they could do is replace one of their mistakes with one that works, no questions asked. People just don't have any business ethics these days. I guess they equate ethical business practices with going broke.

Sad, Sad state of affairs. Buy yourself a well made American made rifle in good condition from the mid 1970's or earlier. You won't have these kind of problems.

Kix

Search tags for this page

best 700 out box

best out of the box remington 700

Click on a term to search for related topics.