Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

Anyone Got a Good Recipe for 55 grainers in .223 w/24in Barrel?

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  unclesarge58 
#1 ·
Just Aquired a Mossberg SSi-1 Single Shot Switch Barrel Rifle in .223Rem.
Traded my Ole .410 Cartridge Slug Gun 4 It.
Need some Recommendations for Hand Loads w/ 55gr Bullets.
Gun will B used as a Varmint Getter @ 100yds Plus.
Right Now I Have it Zeroed at 100yds.
I'm Lookin for Loads w/ This Bullet wt. w/ a 200yd Zero.
Currently the Appropriate Powders I have On Hand are H-4198 (Lots) & BL-C2 (Little).
Seems to Like 20gr H-4198 in Hornady Brass (Have 100rds) w/ 55gr Speer TNT's.
Also Have 500+rds of Mixed Range Brass I Need to Sort.
Any Suggestions as to Best Brass, Bullets & Other Powders?
Also Have a Lee Bator 55gr RNFP Mold to Cast for 22LR Loads.
Tried a Few Trail Boss Loads (4gr behind a 55gr DogTown JHPFB) & They Shot Great.
Dead On @ 25yds Using the 100yd Zero from the 55gr TNT's.
Will be Using the Same Load 4 the Cast. (To Replace my 22LR)
Any Input Will B Greatly Appreciated as I'm a Newb when it comes to .223.
Uncl

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't tried the Speer bullets, but load the 55 grain Sierra Blitzkings for 2 rifles. Both are 1:9 twist and each one likes it's own powder and seating depth. H335 and IMR 8208XBR have given the best accuracy. With your powder choices, I would start with the BL-C(2) for that bullet weight. I use IMR 4198 with 40 grain bullets in a 1:12 twist .223 Rem, and it shoots fantastic.

#3 ·
I believe that My Rifle has the Standard 1-12 Twist.
I Agree that the BL-C(2) May be the Best Match for this Bullet wt.
Instinct tells me that this Powder & the 55gr Speer TNTs or Sierra Blitz Kings Should be Deadly Accurate.
This Gun Definitely Likes the Speers Over Factory FMJ & the DogTown Bullets (Tighter Groups).
Was Also Thinkin about Gettin some H-4895. Was Told by Original Owner that This Gun Really Liked it.
Think I'm gonna Stick w/ 55gr Bullets as they Are Readily Available Here.
Really Like the Possibility of Finding a Good Load w/ the 4198 as I Use it in 2 other guns.
Thanx for the Reply,
US58

#4 ·
If you can lay your hands on some, the CFE223 is a great powder for this caliber over all bullet weights. As always, it takes that good old "Load Workup" to find the proper charge weight for accuracy and safety.

I have tried H-4895 and wasn't all that impressed with the results in .223. AA2230, H-335 BL-C(2), and CFE223 have done best for me. Of those, I love the "reduced copper fouling" of the CFE. Cleanup is no more than a couple of patches or a couple of "pulls" of a bore-snake.

#5 ·
I've been Lookin' at the CFE-223.
Great Velocities & the Side Benefit is Wonderful.
What Concerns me is the High Pressures Associated with this Powder.
In my Experience (Mostly w/ Straight Walled Cartridges) is that the Higher Press. Powders tend to be Very Picky as to Bullet wt. and Less Accurate than those w/ Moderate Pressures.
Also Like what I've been Reading about AA-2230. Seems to be a Very Consistent Powder.
Will have to See What is Available at the Local Co-Op (My Powder Source).
Hopefully the Will Have BL-C(2) as I Need More Anyway.
Any Recommendations as to Which Brass seems to Work Best.
If the Same Holds True as with my .308 -Hornady, Fed, Lake City & Rem will All be Good Choices.
Personally Don't Like Win Brass-Too Thin.
Thanx 4 your Reply,
US58

#8 · (Edited)
What Concerns me is the High Pressures Associated with this Powder.
In my Experience (Mostly w/ Straight Walled Cartridges) is that the Higher Press. Powders tend to be Very Picky as to Bullet wt. and Less Accurate than those w/ ----------------------------------
Any Recommendations as to Which Brass seems to Work Best.
If the Same Holds True as with my .308 -Hornady, Fed, Lake City & Rem will All be Good Choices.
Personally Don't Like Win Brass-Too Thin.
Thanx 4 your Reply,
US58

Personally I think all the talk of pressure issues using CFE223 are overblown. If all you look at is the primer then you might see some pressure issues long before you reach the upper limits of the manufacturer's data. What a lot of people don't take into consideration is what other factors cause false pressure signs on primers.

If you full length size or just shoulder bump your brass, and move the shoulder back closer to the minimum SAAMI spec (as is often the case when following the die manufacturer's instructions) then the case has extra space in the chamber. When the cartridge is fired the primer is first pushed out of the primer pocket and then slammed back in as the case expands to the full length of the chamber. This not only gives one a flattened primer but in Remington's with factory bolts, you also get the false cratering caused by the chamfer at the end of the firing pin hole.

To minimize this buy a cartridge gauge or a headspace measuring tool for your caliper. Adjust the sizing die so the shoulder is only bumped back about .002". Just enough to insure a relatively easy bolt closing on a reliable basis.

Oversizing also gives causes the infamous "Ejector horseshoe" but that tends to show up as the pressures increase. Pay closer attention to that pressure sign.

When I evaluate a load that fits within the load range published, I "note" things like primer flattening, "Pay attention" to the ejector marks, and then "Stop" when I've reached the point where the bolt gets sticky. It's important to pay attention to what a "regular bolt lift" feels like so you know when to call it "stiff, sticky, or hard".

With all my CFE223 loads, both in .223 and .308, I have yet to see excessive pressure signs if I properly size my cases (which also prevents premature head separations). I have loaded to the published max and perhaps could have exceeded that if it weren't for the fact that I had already found my "upper accuracy node".
+1 on the CFE 223. I bought a jug of it when all of the other good .223 powders vanished from the local gun store shelves. I haven't burned enough of it yet to see it's copper eliminating benefits, but It is really showing good accuracy with some load testing using 69 grain Sierras. I'm going to try it with some lighter bullets eventually.
I've loaded it for my AR's and bolt action .223's using bullet weights from 52 gr to 73 gr and the only limit to accuracy has been ME.

In both of the rifles I've used it in it's resistance to copper fouling has been well noted. In a factory Rem SPS-Tactical .223 it's so easy to clean it's amazing. A wet patch and soak (using Butches) followed by a couple of dry patches and no more fouling. I periodically use either Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner or a patch soaked with Sweet's to see if I can coax any "blue" out of the bore. So far-------Nada, None, Zilch, etc.

With my .308, both with a Remington 5-R barrel and now the replacement Benchmark 5-C, still no copper fouling. Even the soot that seems to be a little more than other powders comes out with a wet then a couple dry patches. No "Hard" carbon fouling, even in the neck area that can be a PITA.

Is it "Magic" and actually "Erase" copper like it's name implies? Probably not. As I understand, the formula of the powder merely prevents copper from actually plating itself to the metal of the bore.

I love it for it's metering qualities. I now have a powder that I can use for .223 and .308 loading on my Dillon 650. When checking charge weights periodically I rarely find a load that's off by even .1 gr. I think the only thing that might meter better would be water :)

Now if we could just buy more.

On Winchester Brass, yes, it is thinner than some others. I still like it a lot. With regular annealing I can get a minimum of 10 loads out of it with some of my "collection" over 5 years old. I like Lapua too but it holds about 2.5% less powder than the Win so it can be speed limiting. Right now Winchester brass seems to be in storage with all the Varget. Haven't seen any on the local shelves for over 2 years now.

#6 ·
+1 on the CFE 223. I bought a jug of it when all of the other good .223 powders vanished from the local gun store shelves. I haven't burned enough of it yet to see it's copper eliminating benefits, but It is really showing good accuracy with some load testing using 69 grain Sierras. I'm going to try it with some lighter bullets eventually.

#7 ·
Last Time I was at the Local Co-Op (My Powder Supplier) they had Plenty of CFE-223 & Just a Few BL-C(2). Goin' into Town Tomorrow & I'll See What they Still Have.
If I Can't get BL-C(2) then I'll get the CFE-223 & If they Don't Have that then I'll Get the AA-2230.
If None of the Above then I'll Look for H/IMR-4895. Anyway, We'll See.
Still gonna Work on the H-4198 Loads. (I Have Lots of It)
Wish me Luck,
US58

#9 ·
Went to the Co-Op today & They Had NONE of the Powders I was Lookin 4.
Here's What they Have to Choose from:
H-322
H-4198
IMR -4064
IMR 8208XBR
IMR-3031
SR4759
AA-2520
AA-2460
Tightgroup
RL-15
Superperformance
LVR
& A Few Others
Any Suggestions?
Think I'll just Use Up my BL-C(2) in the 100rds of Brass & Speer 165gr SPBT for my .308.
Whatever is Left Over (If Any) I'll use to Load Up Some More 55gr TNTs in the Hornady Brass for the .223.
Then I guess it's Load Development w/ the H-4198 & the 55gr Dogtowns for the.223.
Oh Well. It Could Be Worse(No Powder at all), But Not Much (Forgot to Get Primers).
US58

#11 ·
Same here. Now if we could only figure out how to use it in .223 or .308. Maybe cut the granules in two or three pieces to "speed them up" :) :)

Either that or just buy a 50 BMG :) That'd go over real well at my local range. I'm already getting dirty looks and some snarls over the muzzle brake on my .308 :(

#14 ·
Next Load I'll be Trying is 25gr IMR-4895 w/ Speer 55gr TNT & Hornady 55gr PSP.
Met Original Owner of Rifle & That's what He said It Likes.
Have 40 of Each Loaded. Just Gotta Find Range Time Now>
US58

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.