Join Today

I have a .308 SPS and a Bell and Carlson stock. I bought a Stocky's M5 DBM and had a smith install it. He called today and said he was afraid to go any deeper because he didn't think it would feed properly. I took it home and installed the bottom metal on the action and it seemed fine so I'm not sure what he;s talking about. The front screw seems to be almost flush while the rear is clearly not deep enough. Since the outline of the DBM is perfect can I just deepen the two inlets? Everything is lined up perfectly. just not deep enough. Any idea why he thinks it won't work?

did you put a mag in and see how it fed?
    700P | .308 | 20 MOA Nightforce Base | Super Sniper Rings | 10x42 Super Sniper | BO Bolt Knob | Harris Bipod | Timney 510
    Check it out here
    That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

I did the whole process on my own by hand....don't be afraid to go deep. The ledge on your bottom metal should be on plane with the bottom of the stock. I actually went a bit too deep but corrected it by bedding my stock (and putting in new pillars)

\"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.\" ~Ayn Rand

If you cut a little too deep you can always shim your way back out of it. However, I think the gunsmith was right in this case as there is a lot of material over flush on the rear screw in the pic. BE careful.

Just to clarify that when i installed the mag well on the bottom metal it was not with the stock in between the two. I clearly need to dremel more material out of the inlet pockets. I wasn't too clear in my initial post. Let me rephrase, the action screws, stock holes and DBM holes line up just fine. It seems obvious to me that I just need to deepen things a tad to get the DBM flush with the stock. I'm more confused as to why the smith didn't go deeper. He claimed the mag wouldn't feed properly if he did. I can't see that. He gave it take to me so I could contact the manufacturer just to be certain that everything was the correct part and what not. I know it is fine but figured I could just dremel the remaining material out since he did most already. I really wasn't happy with how he dumped this on me.

Super Moderator
    Some "smiths" are not comfortable installing and fitting DBM kits. If they take off a little too much, they now owe you a brand new stock. A lot of smiths that don't specialize in this type of job won't take the chance.

OK got the DBM installed and ran into a little problem. When I run the DBM flush with the stock it won't allow the mag to lock into place. I shim it with a couple of nylon washers in the front of the DBM and the mag locks great but the gun won't feed a round.

Should I just play around with various shims until it works? It seems that with the DBM flush with the stock the mag would be fine but it is blocked by a small rectangular metal piece that is just below the bolt when the action is open. Any thoughts on this?

And should the mag be touching the bottom of the action?