Federal Premuim 308 w/168gr Sierra matchking bullets-who shoots these? - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbie View Post
    I have my best luck with 210M from Federal or the benchrest CCI primers. I am sure there are others which work just as well, but those are the only 2 I have experience with.
    Surprisingly enough I find the "cheap" Wolf/Tula primers are every bit as good as the Fed GMM 210M's. I use the same charge weights with both Fed's and the Russians.

Thanks Dobbie, I will see if Cabellas has either. Interesting enough, Academy sports stores has loads of small rifle primers , large and small pistol primers-but no large rifle primers at all??? Not a lot of sources for reloading supplies anywhere close by. Living out away from any big city has advantages and disadvantages (mostly advantages). I managed to get the .308 dies I wanted in a week early ( good supprise!).

Quote Originally Posted by dobbie View Post
    Federal gold metal brass is a bit on the soft side but you should get a few loadings out of it until the primer pockets begin to loosen up. Winchester is probably the best bang for the buck. Lapua is verrrry nice but expensive. Hornady match cases are also pretty good.
    I have several hundred FGMM brass casings and have reloaded them more than a "few" times. Primer pockets, according to my calipers are to spec. It sounds like your "experience " is different. ? Perhaps you have a data source on the short comings of commercial rifle brass that we can all learn from?

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
    I have several hundred FGMM brass casings and have reloaded them more than a "few" times. Primer pockets, according to my calipers are to spec. It sounds like your "experience " is different. ? Perhaps you have a data source on the short comings of commercial rifle brass that we can all learn from?
    The "soft brass" issue usually has two participants. Those who have experienced enlarged primer pockets and those who have not. In most cases those who have experienced the loose primer pockets in Fed. Brass are also running loads up near the max. Those who haven't had problems with Fed brass are running at the lower end of he load map.

My .308 brass has representatives from Winchester, BHA Match, Lapua, Federal (civilian), Nosler, and Hornady Match. Of all these "brands", I find that the Lapua is the most durable and Federal the least. Even with heavy loads I can get half a dozen reloads out of the Federal but with the same loads in Lapua, there seems to be no end to it's life.

I sort my brass by inspecting with a Ballistic Tools Primer Pocket Go/No-Go gauge. Almost always the Fed is the first to fail the test.

That has also been my experience with Federal brass, mainly because for whatever reason, my Varmint Synthetic likes loads near max for best accuracy. Its certainly not "bad" brass, just a bit softer than some of the other makes. I get about 6 loadings before the pocket stretches. I don't measure my primer pockets but I do hand seat the primers in all of my rifle cases and I can feel a distinct difference in the pressure needed to seat new primers. Winchester has the most case capacity on average that I have tried but is hard to find lately. Lapua is a thicker brass than some but as Deadshot states, lasts a long time. Here's a link to some interesting reading on the 308

.308 Win Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

I bought some Hornady brass for now (all I find on the shelves). I did see Nosler brass-looks like plenty of it. It's also twice the price of the Hornady. All Winchester brass is always sold out when ever I go to Cabellas.I did not see any Lapua brass either. I did manage to get some Varget powder and some CCI primers from a shooting range about 30miles away. No Federal primers or Win brass there either-ugh!. Getting closer to make some reloads. So far I have some Sierra match, Nosler competition, and Berger VL Match BTHP's 168 gr. Going to try some 150gr flat base just for S&Gs. Hope I am fortunate enough to stumble on a good grouping combination early on.

Hornady brass is pretty good stuff. I have used it over the years and its very reloadable. With Varget and your Nosler 168 grain bullets, start at about 42 grains and see what it does. You can start the Sierra 168 at the same grain charge. I have no personal experience with the Berger line of bullets, but somebody here will likely come along and let you in on their loads. My best loads with Varget and the Sierra or Nosler match bullets was 44 grains, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by kawzak View Post
    I did see Nosler brass-looks like plenty of it. It's also twice the price of the Hornady.
    Not only twice the price but it doesn't live up to it's hype of being "perfect". I bought a box of it just to see if it was all that great.

Every piece of brass was shorter than the "trim to" length by a full .005". Several of he pieces had case mouths that looked like they were de-burred with a rat-tailed file. Yes, they all weighed within a couple tenths of a grain of each other but other than that there is nothing special about Nosler other than the price.

Thanks for the heads up on the Nosler brass, Deadshot. I thought of buying some Nosler on my next trip, but now I think I will stay with the Hornady brass. I usually see it there when I shop. Thanks Dobbie for the load onfo with Varget powder.

Just an FYI. I am impressed with these factory Federal loads w/168 SMKs. They shoot great in my gun. After shooting these for a while my best group (100 yds) has been .391" C-C. The first 10-12 rnds were all it needed to all of a sudden tighten up, and has been shooting .550" or less ever since. I have my own range and have the advantage of shooting when Ideal weather and no/very little wind. Going to a range in Corpus Christi Tx soon to see what happens out to 500 yds-which is about the effective yardage for the 168 SMKs, or so I have heard. When I get enough time I hope to find the magic reload that will tighten this up (still working on) with 175 SMKs or Berger VLDs and push them farther out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast