Federal Premuim 308 w/168gr Sierra matchking bullets-who shoots these? - Page 3
Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    hi, i am taking a long shot( pun intended) to ask if you have had a barrel specifically chambered for Federal Premium 168 SMK BTHP , I would like to know what the best Jump length is for the ammo??

I am currently chambering a Remington 700 with a zero free bore match reamer, and would like to cut the best jump in for the specific ammo from federal, as this is the only ammo it will be using.

hanz.
    South africa

hi, i am taking a long shot( pun intended) to ask if you have had a barrel specifically chambered for Federal Premium 168 SMK BTHP , I would like to know what the best Jump length is for the ammo??

I am currently chambering a Remington 700 with a zero free bore match reamer, and would like to cut the best jump in for the specific ammo from federal, as this is the only ammo it will be using.

hanz.
    South africa

Quote Originally Posted by Hanz View Post

hanz.
    South africa
    The SMK bullet design is very "friendly" with a wide range of jump's. From "in the lands" to jumps as long as .150 (factory Remington chamber), I have had excellent performance. Since you are using factory ammo I'd recommend you cut the throat so you have .010" -.020".

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Even though Sierra bullets are high quality they do very in overall bullet length and base to ogive. When loaded to SAAMI (I'm 99% sure Fed loads to 2.800") specified Cartridge Overall Length (COL) the Cartridge base to Ogive dimension will very lot to lot. I just measured the bullet base to ogive of three different lots of 168SMK's and found that dimension varied by 0.010".

By using FGMM you will have different jumps with different lots of ammo. You also need to consider that factory ammo is pressure tested on on a SAAMI specified test chamber. If your chamber is tighter and has a shorter leade your pressures will be higher. You will shooting a custom chamber not a 308 Win chamber. You would be better served by hand loading where you have control of the bullet base to ogive dimension and powder load.

You may be able to get away with pursuing this approach but you are venturing into potentially dangerous territory.
    Last edited by Doom; 05-16-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123