Federal Premuim 308 w/168gr Sierra matchking bullets-who shoots these?
Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Federal Premuim 308 w/168gr Sierra matchking bullets-who shoots these?

I plan on shooting these 168 gr, and maybe some Blackhills Target ammo-at least until I get some brass to reload. I know every gun is different, but how do these shoot for you guys? groups? velocity? drop@ yds?. My SPS has the 1:12 twist. Thanks for your replies.

Just to get a couple things straight you plan on shooting 168gr SMK bullets in reloads or in factory ammo or for reloading. Talking about factory ammo the best you will shoot in this rifle will be the Federal Gold Metal Match 168gr. This ammo will give you bug holes at 100 yards with ease.

For me the FGMM 168gr ammo goes out at about 2650 +- (26" barrel) groups are .5 moa or smaller all the time and at 100 yards. This is in my SPS Tac 1-12 (20" barrel) or the SPS Varmint 1-12 (26" barrel).
    shoot to kill not wound !

Reminton 700 SPS Tactical .308
    Remington 700 Sendero SF II 300 Win Mag

Rather than shooting up new ammo just to get brass, why not buy some once fired brass from one of the numerous sources online.

Another option is to buy box of Lapua brass (100 pcs) and have brass you can reload a lot more times than that you will get from Black Hills or Federal. I have Lapua .308 brass I bought 8 years ago and it's had well over 40 reloads on it with no sign of neck splitting or loose primer pockets. Good luck on getting more than 10 reloads on Federal, if it does last that long. I believe that BH uses "winchester-like" brass. I've picked up several pieces at the range and it seems to last about as long as the Winchester (around 20 reloadings).

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I plan on shooting the Federal Gold match because it supposed to be one of the best-not just to get some brass to reload. I am going to have to shoot factory ammo for a while until I can get my .308 dies (have not decided on brand yet), plus primer pocket tools/bits ,primers, maybe Benchmark or Varget powder, etc. Unless I order online the only place for me to get brass is Cabellas (Windchester or lake city). All the reloading stuff I have is for .223.(I use H-335 powder) I never reloaded for my .270-it liked the factory Rem 130 SP- I seen no point. However I plan to shoot this .308 more, so I will need to reload for it. I will try some of my H-335 powder, but we all have to experiment to find right combination of bullet, primer, brass, load length, etc. I am aware of that. Reloading is fun to me. The challenge is in finding the right combination(s). I understand lapua brass is thicker/hardier. This also means it will have less case capacity-if that may-or-may not be an issue, depends.

Norma brass is excellent too, as is Gevelot (French) but I haven't seen that for over 25 years.

As for powder, don't rule out RL15 - I haven't tried RL17, can't get it.
    Proud member of WTFDTSG Club.
    Nice Try = You Suck spelled different.
    Stercus Accidit = Sh*t Happens in Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    Norma brass is excellent too,

Couldn't tell by the last box of it I bought. Buck per case and some of the cases looked like the case mouths were finished with a rat tailed file. The "bevel's" were cut back so far from the end of the case the cases still haven't grown enough that I can trim the edge square.

Of all the "Super Duper Whiz-bang, fantastic" brass I've bought, Lapua has been the best. That said, if I could buy Winchester brass in bulk and take the time to sort it into uniform groups by weight that's the way I'd go. Winchester brass has pretty much disappeared from shelves everywhere but Lapua is everywhere.

I may be wrong but I think I seen some at Cabellas. I wasn't looking too hard for brass awhile back when I was buying .223 bullets. So I did not pay that much attention. There were bags of some caliber Windchester brass there.

Federal gold metal brass is a bit on the soft side but you should get a few loadings out of it until the primer pockets begin to loosen up. Winchester is probably the best bang for the buck. Lapua is verrrry nice but expensive. Hornady match cases are also pretty good.

Going to check at Cabellas again for Winchester brass. I have my dies now. Still need all the periferial stuff to go along with them. BTW what brand, # primers should I be looking for ?. I see CCI 210 listed a lot.

I have my best luck with 210M from Federal or the benchrest CCI primers. I am sure there are others which work just as well, but those are the only 2 I have experience with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast