Where to buy trued and barreled action?
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Where to buy trued and barreled action?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    9

    Where to buy trued and barreled action?

    Hello all, I am looking to buy a trued and barreled action. I do not have access to a good gunsmith so I was hoping to find out a good place to buy a trued action with a good quality barrel already fitted. I will build the rest of the rifle myself. I called McGowan but he did not seem to need any business. Anyone have any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Deadshot2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    2,304
    I provide my own action and then have Benchmark install one of their barrels. Am about to send them an action from PTG that is a 700 action that's been trued and with a PTG One Piece bolt that's also had the extractor upgraded to the m-16 style. Action is ~$700 in Stainless Steel, a little less in "carbon steel".

    Check out Benchmark Barrels on the web.
    Scorpion8 likes this.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    9
    Thanks deadshot. That was my exact plan after reading all the threads in this forum. Some good advice from you and others lead me to that decision. I guess I was just hoping I could buy the trued action already barreled instead of buying them separately and sending them out.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Deadshot2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    2,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy32323 View Post
    Thanks deadshot. That was my exact plan after reading all the threads in this forum. Some good advice from you and others lead me to that decision. I guess I was just hoping I could buy the trued action already barreled instead of buying them separately and sending them out.
    One option is to have your barrel finished with a Savage style barrel nut. In short a Remage Barrel. This way you could install the barrel using a set of headspace gauges, tighten the nut, and be done.

    The nice feature of the "Remage" setup is that you can change calibers easily as long as they all use the parent (or close) case. One action could give you several rifles by just swapping barrels using the proper tools. (vise, barrel nut wrench, headspace gauges, recoil lug alignment tool (if not pinned).

  6. #5
    Senior Member rkittine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sag Harbor, New York
    Posts
    382
    I used Doyle Anglin in Winder Georgia to handle my 700 Action Needs. I pick up an action, send it to him and he trues it to blueprint specs, installs the trigger I want and modifies it and installs a barrel of my choice (I only use Krieger Barrels and he is a dealer for them) and chambers it with one of his reamers or one of mine depending on caliber.He is a distributor for some very nice stocks if you want a gun stocked and a Night Force Dealer etc. I have had a number of Benchrest and Long Range rifles built by him and am about to have him build my new Rim Fire for 200 Yard Bench Rest. Doyle supplies some of the big name long range shooters.

    Dixie Guns 706-654-8400 dolyebbang@windstream.net

    Not sure what caliber you want and for what, but you might also want to check out www.TheShootersCorner.com Bob White usually has a very large range of used custom built guns available for sale and as a gunsmith and 50 year rifle competitor, he knows each of the guns and can provide the straight scoop on them. Check out what is available on his web site as there are pictures as well as a set of lists.

    Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 10-21-2016 at 06:42 AM.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    One option is to have your barrel finished with a Savage style barrel nut. In short a Remage Barrel. This way you could install the barrel using a set of headspace gauges, tighten the nut, and be done.

    The nice feature of the "Remage" setup is that you can change calibers easily as long as they all use the parent (or close) case. One action could give you several rifles by just swapping barrels using the proper tools. (vise, barrel nut wrench, headspace gauges, recoil lug alignment tool (if not pinned).
    That's an interesting idea as I debated 308 vs 223. I would love to be able to shoot both. Do you feel you give up any accuracy with a remage set up over the traditional fixed barrel?

  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    I used Doyle Anglin in Winder Georgia to handle my 700 Action Needs. I pick up an action, send it to him and he trues it to blueprint specs, installs the trigger I want and modifies it and installs a barrel of my choice (I only use Krieger Barrels and he is a dealer for them) and chambers it with one of his reamers or one of mine depending on caliber.He is a distributor for some very nice stocks if you want a gun stocked and a Night Force Dealer etc. I have had a number of Benchrest and Long Range rifles built by him and am about to have him build my new Rim Fire for 200 Yard Bench Rest. Doyle supplies some of the big name long range shooters.

    Dixie Guns 706-654-8400 dolyebbang@windstream.net

    Not sure what caliber you want and for what, but you might also want to check out The Shooters Corner | Lake Hopatcong,, NJ Bob White usually has a very large range of used custom built guns available for sale and as a gunsmith and 50 year rifle competitor, he knows each of the guns and can provide the straight scoop on them. Check out what is available on his web site as there are pictures as well as a set of lists.

    Bob
    I have a lot of tactical rifles (AR, AK, Mini etc) and pistols. I have never had a gun with a scope. I have always wanted to get something for long range accuracy. I did a lot of research and love the idea of a Remington 700. I do not need a top of the line gun but want one that is accurate. As I learn to shoot it I like to know the gun is accurate so if my groups are not tight I know it's me and remove the variable of it being the gun. I am open to a used custom built gun. Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to checking out the guns on theshooterscorner

  9. #8
    Senior Member rkittine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sag Harbor, New York
    Posts
    382
    Troy,

    Are you planning on Punching Paper, Varmints or Bigger Game. Most of what Bob White will have will be For Benchrest or Varmint hunting, but there might be some bigger calibers in his current stock.

    Good Luck, Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Troy,

    Are you planning on Punching Paper, Varmints or Bigger Game. Most of what Bob White will have will be For Benchrest or Varmint hunting, but there might be some bigger calibers in his current stock.

    Good Luck, Bob
    I only punch paper. I am on long island and only have access to a 200 Yard range. We have a house upstate ny and I would assume I could find some ranges with more distance.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Deadshot2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    2,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy32323 View Post
    . Do you feel you give up any accuracy with a remage set up over the traditional fixed barrel?
    Not if the barrel is from a quality source. All the premium barrel makers should put the extra threads on the barrel that are needed and fit the nut to it. Quality work won't degrade the accuracy. If properly installed using headspace gauge for the new caliber and nothing has really changed. Just remember, once the barrel nut is torqued properly it's not moving. Only possible downside is that since the scope is mounted on the action any slight change in alignment from one barrel to the next will change POI somewhat but a quick re-zero after a swap will fix that. Then again, that could happen with a shouldered barrel too.


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2016, 12:19 PM
  2. Silver Shadow Gilboa Snake Double Barreled AR-15
    By jono in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 09:49 AM
  3. Duracoating a barreled action
    By jbaker47 in forum General Model 700's
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 02:21 PM
  4. 700 bull barreled rifle for sale
    By gunny1972 in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 03:49 PM
  5. after market action vs truing stock action
    By .308remy in forum SPS Tactical
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 01:03 PM

Search tags for this page

remington 700 barreled actions

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •