Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am another noob here although I have been shooting for 35 years. I just bought a SPS-T in .308 that I will use to learn reloading for accuracy and also hunt with. I picked the SPS because of its out of the box accuracy and also the huge amount of aftermarket parts for me to upgrade, I love tinkering with my rifles! I will eventually replace the factory stock and trigger and possibly go to a Wyatts DM down the road. Most of my shooting will be at 300 yds or under.

Once my tax refund gets here I will be mounting a Millett TRS on this rifle, but in order to get out to the range asap I am going to toss on my old Nikon 3-9X40 that was on my previous deer rifle. I am looking at scope mounting options and noted that many people here are using the EGW setup which is pretty reasonably priced. I also found the Badger Ordnance 1 piece base which is $150! Is the Badger setup that much better then the EGW??

Thoughts and opinions please.

Ignatius
    Remember to doubt your doubts and believe your beliefs.

I am also looking at the EGW 1 piece mount for my new SPS. I will be following your post closely!!
    Mark
    MO??N ?ABE
    \"An armed society is a polite society.\" Robert A. Heinlein

there are many people using the EGW based on price I'd think. I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong, but i believe the EGW bases are contructed out off aluminum
    http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?...roducts_id=248

opposed to the more expensive BO rail made from hardened steel which has an intergral recoil lug machined in it as well.(big plus)
    http://badgerordnance.com/base/

I personally went with a somewhat "local" company for me here in Canada which offers their rails cnc milled from stainless steel. I went for strength of the rail vs price, paying $200 CDN for it was some $ yes, but piece of mind in a sound product is worth the $ you spend. you'll learn on this site and amoung others the frendly saying "buy once, cry once!" Something to think about.

either you can
    1. spend a little on an EGW and love it(good deal, not a lot of money spent, so more for other goodies)
    2. spend the $ on an EGW, not like it and turn around and buy another brand base(minimal loses as EGW was inexpensive)
    3. get the BO or similar base first of all and dont look back.

Mine base is made by ATRS up north here in canada, so I am not bias or nor have any experience about the EGW or BO bases, just general observations.

Good luck

OK, I am being impatient and want to get this out to the range and see what she can do. So I went ahead and ordered the EGW mount from their website. Since I have a scope and rings already in hand, this was the fastest/cheapest way for me to start putting rounds downrange. I will probably upgrade to the badger mount down the road, and I am a fan of using steel over aluminum anywhere that accuracy is concerned. Once I get the scope I really want it makes more sense to upgrade the base. I just want to really see what kind of accuracy I can get with the factory setup before I start making mods or changes. I will put up a range report as soon as I can get out to shoot. Its 15* and windy today so I am dreaming of warmer weather.

Please keep this thread running and share your thoughts or results using either of these two products.

Ignatius

Stay with the EGW base. very well made base and a bargain at twice the price! For your needs the BO base is overkill unless your planning precision long range shooting 500 yards out. Use the money you save towards a trigger or stock upgrade.
    \"Embrace the suck!\"

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 & 870 Express Noveske N4 AR-15 Ruger 10/22T
    Ruger .357 Blackhawk Ruger .22 single six 3 screw Glock 21 .45

Thanks 308isgreat! My local range only goes out to 300 so I agree with and appreciate your thoughts and input!

Quote Originally Posted by 308isgreat
    Stay with the EGW base. very well made base and a bargain at twice the price! For your needs the BO base is overkill unless your planning precision long range shooting 500 yards out. Use the money you save towards a trigger or stock upgrade.

"Embrace the suck!"

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 & 870 Express Noveske N4 AR-15 Ruger 10/22T
    Ruger .357 Blackhawk Ruger .22 single six 3 screw Glock 21 .45

Then again I think I did good with mine out to 534 so far :D so I will say this EGW will give you the run for the buck cant beat it and works like its intended to.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Reminton 700 SPS Tactical .308
    Remington 700 Sendero SF II 300 Win Mag

I also went with the EGW mount on my SPS .300 Win Mag. Mounted a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 scope and am loving every minute of it! About 40 rounds down range and everything is working as it should. The EGW mounts are a great value. No regrets here!!
    Mark
    MO??N ?ABE
    \"An armed society is a polite society.\" Robert A. Heinlein

I'm not into all the tactical stuff but I've been shooting long range rifles since back in the 60s. I use Leupold mounts and rings and before that I used Redfield which are the same thing. You can get a 20 MOA Leupold base for about 25 bucks. I have them on three rifles and have never had a problem with them.

I understand that you were not wondering about Leupold, but you hear so many good things about the Leupold brand how do they stack up against EGW and BO?
    I have a SPS tactical 223 and don't plan on shooting any more than 500 yards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast