Join Today
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    119
    Has any one here had any problems with there extractor not wanting to engage the extractor groove on the case? Bolt is hard to close and sometimes won't close. Sometimes cleaning the bolt face works and sometimes not. I took the extractor out of the bolt face and cleaned it and cleaned the groove around the bolt face that the extractor fits in. Worked for a while then started acting up again. Maybe this extractor is worn out and needs replacing. Midway has Remington extractors for $12.95 each. I ordered 2. I will replace the one I am having trouble with and let ya'll know how it turns out.

    Have any of ya'll had any problems with your extractors in your 700s?

    Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    92
    Bubba
    Sounds like the OAL of the casing is to long if the bolt won't close. Does it happen with factory ammo or handloads? I have never had a problem with an extractor. As a matter of fact I kind of laugh when I read about people who spend the money to put "Sako style" extractors on their Remingtons. I have a 700 Classic in 30-06 that is pretty particular when it comes to ammo. It doesn't like anything close to max OAL. It becomes hard to close the bolt.

    Ron

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by a300fe1
    Bubba
    Sounds like the OAL of the casing is to long if the bolt won't close. Does it happen with factory ammo or handloads? I have never had a problem with an extractor. As a matter of fact I kind of laugh when I read about people who spend the money to put "Sako style" extractors on their Remingtons. I have a 700 Classic in 30-06 that is pretty particular when it comes to ammo. It doesn't like anything close to max OAL. It becomes hard to close the bolt.

    Ron
    It happens with new factory ammo and reloads. I always trim my cases to the reccommended trim length. It isn't the ammo, it is the extractor. I have had several 700's and this is the first one I have ever had a problem with. I have a couple of new extractors coming from Midway, so when they get here, I'll take the old one out, clean the bolt and bolt face really good and install a new extractor and then we will see what happens. Believe me, this has been such an agravating problem that I have considered the Sako extractor system.

    Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

  4. #4
    jerrschmitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Superior, WI
    Posts
    526
    Of all the 700's I've owned and worked on I have only had one with a bad extractor. It was a 7MM Rem Mag. I replaced that extractor and never had any more problems. A bad one gets out every once in awhile.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    119
    Is there an easy way to get that extractor out of the 700 bolt face? Or a special tool? I have been using a small tweaser, just trying to slip one end of the tweaser under one end of the extractor spring and then work it out, but it is really hard to do with that little tweaser.

    Anybody got any better ideas?

    Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

  6. #6
    jerrschmitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Superior, WI
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by thornblom
    Is there an easy way to get that extractor out of the 700 bolt face? Or a special tool? I have been using a small tweaser, just trying to slip one end of the tweaser under one end of the extractor spring and then work it out, but it is really hard to do with that little tweaser.

    Anybody got any better ideas?

    Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
    I have a little hooked dental pick that works pretty well. They're still tricky little buggers to get out.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrschmitt
    Quote Originally Posted by thornblom
    Is there an easy way to get that extractor out of the 700 bolt face? Or a special tool? I have been using a small tweaser, just trying to slip one end of the tweaser under one end of the extractor spring and then work it out, but it is really hard to do with that little tweaser.

    Anybody got any better ideas?

    Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
    I have a little hooked dental pick that works pretty well. They're still tricky little buggers to get out.

    Problem solved. The extractors I ordered from Midwayusa on the 29th got here yesterday. I popped the old one out and snapped the new one in. Works good. And I ordered a spare.

    Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

  8. #8
    Administrator El Chorizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    792
    Was it a pain in the rear to swap those out? I've never done that, but I suppose it's one of those small parts that one has to handle with tweezers.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    119
    Yes, it is tricky. Small tweaser or small scissors can do the trick. Get it out is the hard part. Snapping the new one in is a lot easier.

    Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rockford
    Posts
    15
    I just bought a brand new SPS SS 7mm Rem Mag I got it home mounted a one piece scope rail and decided to make absolutely sure it wouldn't interfere with ejection. I loaded up the magazine for the first time, chambered a round, went to open the bolt and... I'm having some issues with the extractor and/or ejector. Some times the extractor won't grab the case, other times it will grab, extract, and drop the case on top of the magazine. And other times yet it will work fine (not often and mostly if I pull the bolt back very fast)
    Any ideas or experience with this issue? I have a friend that knows way more than myself about fire arms he's kinda been showing me the reloading and benchrest ropes. I'm gonna have him take a look but thought I'd post my problem all the same to see if anyone else has seen this
    The 2nd amendment was writen so the people would always be able to over throw the Powers that be... Well in that case why can\'t I have a F^<ing tank?


 

Similar Threads

  1. 700 SPS EXTRACTOR
    By Alan in forum General Model 700's
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 07:02 PM
  2. XCR Extractor
    By Bubba61462 in forum Law Enforcement/Military
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Search tags for this page

how to install remington 700 extractor
,
installing extractor ring on remington 700 bolt
,
problems with rem700
,
remington 700 bolt extractor
,
remington 700 extraction problems
,

remington 700 extractor

,

remington 700 extractor issues

,

remington 700 extractor problems

,
remington 700 extractor upgrade
,

remington extractor problems

,
remington model 700 ejector problems
,
trouble shooting remington 700
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •