Join Today
    To go with the new Rem 700 SPS Tactical SA recently purchased... I'm about to order my Millett TRS-1, 4-16x50 (30mm tube), to be mounted to an EGW Rem 700 Picatinny Rail Tactical Scope Mount. Now as far as rings are concerned... leaning toward Buris Xtreme tactical 30mm LOW. Depending on the blog/web reference, some say medium rings and one site was trying to convince the reader to go with high rings! I thought that was crazy. For all you Rem 700 fans... is Low the way to go... or will that just not work?
    It was a dark and stormy night...

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308, S&W M&P15 5.56 NATO, S&W M&P40, S&W M&P9C, RugerSR9

I think low rings would just barely give clearance... but I'm not totally sure. I put high rings on my 50mm cope... and yes they are way high.

If you can find a measurement diagram of the scope rings ( which I think I've seen one on the Burris website) you can make a calculations based on the measurements they provide with the ring diagram.

I have a pair of the Burris Xtreme tacticals on my AR-15 and they are very nice rings. Good choice there!

See if this chart helps at all. http://www.burrisoptics.com/mountchart1.html

You need to be careful if you intend installing lens cover. If the rings are too low the rear cover can inhibit bolt operation.:)
    700Ti

Excellent advise... Sounds like it's medium for me... mega thanks Semperfi & Quaid...!
    It was a dark and stormy night...

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308, S&W M&P15 5.56 NATO, S&W M&P40, S&W M&P9C, RugerSR9

I have a 4x14x50 Wotac on a 20 MOA EGW base on my SPS Tactical and I use the low XTR rings.
    I have Butler Creek flip up caps and they clear the barrel just fine and bolt handle just fine.
    I've always believed it better to keep the scope as low to the bore as possible.
    Just my 2 cents.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm. George Orwell
    “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing...”- Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
    NRA LE Firearms Instructor, Handgun, Shotgun, Patrol rifle, Precision rifle.

Hello there! I have a 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I cannot express to you my fondness for this rifle. I own (and have owned) many guns. I am a huge AR platform fan. I also own and am very fond of AK variants. My 700 SPS Tactical, however, is my favorite. It's the first rifle I've built to mimic the characteristics of a Marine Sniper rifle (M40 A1). Upon building my rifle I did quite a bit of research. I found it was in my best interest to buy ALL STEEL mounts. The best value I found for a picarinny rail was (steel) for $100. I decided to splurge a bit for my rings and went with GG&G Steel Sniper Grade rings. I'm a working man so where I could have spent upwards of $1500 for a Nightforce scope, I decided to give the Millet TRS-1 a try. Right out of the box the rifle/scope setup I chose was an overwhelming success. I've held sub 1" groups at 200yds consistently since the day I sighted my beloved rifle in. I think you've chosen a great rifle/scope combo. My advice would be to not skimp on your mount/rings combo and I would advise you to buy steel rather than aluminum. I'd love to hear how your rifle turns out and even see pics of it. I would also love to show you my baby if you're interested. Good luck and keep them in the 10 Ring!!!

Jim Jordan

Post pics in the SPS Tactical Pic thread when you got pics of it :) need that eye candy buddy !
    shoot to kill not wound !

Reminton 700 SPS Tactical .308
    Remington 700 Sendero SF II 300 Win Mag

So what rings did you go with? Medium or high?