Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just as the title reads.

Looking for the most accurate 700 model out of the box (no modifications).

Next question would be; what is the real difference between some of the more accurate models in terms of accuracy? Is there one that stands way above the rest? Or are a lot of the more accurate ones really about the same from the factory?

im gonna say any 700 with factory ammo should shoot 1 in 3 shot groups, with alot of the 700p or tactical /varmit heavy barrels shooting 1/2 in or less with fed goldmedal match ammo or any match ammo. as for caliber? I guess thats personal preference. 308 is probobly the most liked here. but all 700 's will shoot better than most anyway.
    ...kill em all !!!!

Super Moderator
    I am completely biased. With that said, I will say 1st 700 AAC-SD, 2nd 700 5r, 3rd 700P and down the list lol.

From what my gunsmith tells me is that most Rem 700's are cut with the same dies and they all are set up to shoot a variety of bullet types. Also he said that the legal eagles get their say as to how the chambers/throats are cut and that if you want more accuracy you have to have the barrels set back into the actions.
    BATTLE BORN SHOOTERS http://battlebornshooters.boards.net/- Nevada\'s Newest Shooting Forums!

\"In a man to man fight the winner is the one who puts an extra round in his magazine\"
    -Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

I know alot of the people use the heavy barrel models on precision shooting competitions. From what i understand the heavier barrels restrict vibrations produced by the bullet travelling down the barrel and they obviously have alot less flex.
    \"The only real power comes out of a long rifle.\" -joseph stalin

Super Moderator
    Djackson is on the money, not only is it less flex and better harmonics, it also takes longer for the barrel to heat up to the point of it hurting accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne
    I am completely biased. With that said, I will say 1st 700 AAC-SD, 2nd 700 5r, 3rd 700P and down the list lol.
    I like the price of the AAC-SD model. I don't know that I would get a silencer for it and would need to get something to cover the threaded end.

The 5R seems to be a sought after rifle. But I can't find anything on Remingtons website about it. Gun broker has some, but they all seem to be in a stainless finish.

I know a little on the 700P model, but could you give me more detail on the other two?

Super Moderator
    The AAC comes with a thread protector from the factory. I don't have a can for my AAC I use the threads for my muzzle brake. The rifle has a 1-10 where the other rifles had a slightly slower twist. Average muzzle velocity out of the acc seems to run from 2500-2620 (this is the avg from a few users tests). It's very smooth and very accurate. If you look at some of my range reports you'll see what an aac can do in the hands of an average joe who is still learning to shoot.

The 5r only comes in stainless, the twist is 1-11.25 (claims to be optimized twist for 175gr bullets). Very accurate, the stock is nice. I plan to purchase one when funds become available.
    A buddy on here has one and I know first hand it's a tack driver I've seen him shoot at the range. Look up some posts by FASTEACH. You'll get alot more info on the 5r from them.

The cheapest is the aac, but the stock would need to be changed.
    The 5r would be out the box ready to go.
    The 700p is great, but it's a little high on the price range for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne
    The AAC comes with a thread protector from the factory. I don't have a can for my AAC I use the threads for my muzzle brake. The rifle has a 1-10 where the other rifles had a slightly slower twist. Average muzzle velocity out of the acc seems to run from 2500-2620 (this is the avg from a few users tests). It's very smooth and very accurate. If you look at some of my range reports you'll see what an aac can do in the hands of an average joe who is still learning to shoot.

The 5r only comes in stainless, the twist is 1-11.25 (claims to be optimized twist for 175gr bullets). Very accurate, the stock is nice. I plan to purchase one when funds become available.
    A buddy on here has one and I know first hand it's a tack driver I've seen him shoot at the range. Look up some posts by FASTEACH. You'll get alot more info on the 5r from them.

The cheapest is the aac, but the stock would need to be changed.
    The 5r would be out the box ready to go.
    The 700p is great, but it's a little high on the price range for what you get.
    Here I don't mind the AAC stock (but I like Hogue stocks), but I think the stock on the 5R is repulsive. Really, I prefer matte black altogether, including the barrel. I guess I could always duracoat the stainless barrel of the 5R. All this is cosmetic stuff though, and that is secondary to me compared to precision.

I'll have to look more at the AAC performance. The 5R seems to deal better with higher grains. Does this mean it fires at a higher velocity than the AAC? I guess I am really wondering the performance difference between the AAC and the 5R to find what is better for me. Later I can figure out how to make it look and feel better to me when I shoot it.

Super Moderator
    The difference is velocity is at best about 100fps. We tested factory smk 175 in my AAC and Fasteach's 5r. The AAC was around 2580 the 5r was around 2650 if I recall correctly. I'd need to look back on my notes.

Both are designed to shoot heavier loads, the faster the twist the heavier you can stabilize.

From what your describing it seams like the AAC is a perfect fit for you.
    I've done very little work to my rifle, and here's a few of the averge groups

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast