Meet Steve
Join Today
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet Steve

New to the forums here. i bought my .308 700p back in college. had it about 3.5 years now. it's a great gun. i hunt with it and target shooting of course.

i cant really do a build with it, it's already pretty much done, or done as done as it will be for now.....here's the stats

**UPDATED**
    -26" barrel - soon to be 20" and thread to 5/8"x24
    -choate stock, soon to be glass bedded
    -20 MOA nightforce one piece base
    -SWFA Super Sniper 30mm Low Rings
    -SWFA Super Sniper 10x42mm
    -BO bolt knob
    -custom cheek piece
    -harris 6"-9" bipod
    -timeny 510
    -mag xtender (7+1)

i'm gonna go through the pics i have, i didnt really start documenting until about 2 years ago, by then, i'd done a lot to it.

anyways, here he is now

i had a cheek rest left over from an ultimate sniper stock i used on my first 700 build, with a little dremel work, i was able to get it to fit real nice.

anyone else ever have a problem with the grip being too small? i'm 6'5" and i have big hands. if i held the grip properly, my pinky always hung down. i didnt like it, so i got to searching and ended up with this

it's ghetto, but it works, i'm almost ashamed to admit what it is lol. but here it is....

i used one of those pieces that holds a dowel in a closet.

cut down the edges and sanded it up.

test fit

end result

here's a few range pics, i usually go by myself, so i dont have that many. plus, what i usually do for targets is fill up milk jugs or water bottles with water and freeze it. cut the bottle off with a box cutter and shoot the block of ice. makes for a nice explosive target.

i'm a self taught shooter, i learn by practicing and reading books on the subject. here's my best group

screwing around

i have some plans for it, currently saving for a new scope. just ordered a shorter harris bipod as well. gonna try and get some range time in this weekend. i just bought a new mossberg 500 as well, so i'm busy getting it how i want it. add to that i'm building truck at the moment as well. too many hobbies!!! lol

Love the 700P!

I like the paint job, kinda where I was intending to go with mine but it's a little lighter but that's the beauty of Krylon....easy enough to do it over.
    Remington 700P .308
    Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 Tactical

NRA Life Member
    Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Quote Originally Posted by gdvan01
    Love the 700P!

I like the paint job, kinda where I was intending to go with mine but it's a little lighter but that's the beauty of Krylon....easy enough to do it over.
    thanks man....and yes, i love the krylon stuff, i've got cans and cans of it down in the garage. eventually i wanna sand down the barrel/action and duracoat it, but for now, the spray on works. i used duracoat on the bolt of my sks several years ago and it still hasnt chipped or scratched anywhere.

i forgot to include in my above post what i did to the stock. the first thing i noticed about the stock on my 700p was the smooth stock. i didnt like it at all, way too slippery for my liking. i knew i was gonna be taking it hunting and the last thing i wanted to do was drop it while climbing up a tree stand.

i removed the stock and sanded it down with some 120 grit to scuff it up a bit. then taped off the stuff i didnt want painted and spray it down with some truck bed liner. i did about 4 very light coats to give it some grip. it was a little too coarse when i shot, the liner would scratch my face after shooting 10-15 rounds. after my camo paintjob, it covered up the liner enough to smooth up the cheek rest, but still have some grip. worked out perfectly

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

went ahead and ordered BO bolt knob today. it's my birthday today and i figured it could be another bday present to myself (although i already bought a mossberg 500 for my real present). the bolt on my 700P can be a little hard to manipulate with some ammo, not sure what's going there. but i think it will help

got it cheap too, $30 for the knob and only $2.99 in shipping

here's the link to the site i got it from
    http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/...%2BJDyOLrQE%3D

Thanks so much for that link 762 ! I just ordered one :D This is going to go on my Sendero SF II.

The BO bolt will help 100% and will make reloading a lot easier.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

no problem, glad i could help. i'm gonna snag a tap from napa tomorrow so i can put it on when i get it. have you ever installed one winxp?

Ya I installed the one on my .308 and came out great. There is a thread with the installation procedure from a few other members and mine as well. The thread is in the mod section.

Aron-

Firearm Pimp

yeah, someone posted that link in another thread, i have it book marked now lol

got my new harris bipod today. it's a 6-9 instead of a 9-13. the 9-13 is just too high for both prone shooting and bench shooting. half the time, i just end up using my ghillie suit bag as a rest. (which works great btw, especially on the hood of my explorer.) i'm gonna put the old one on my savage .22

gonna paint it up tomorrow to match the rest of the rifle

for some reason, my BO knob didnt ship out until yesterday, so who knows when it's gonna get here :mad:
    i'm gonna miss the old bolt handle, i dont know what it is, but i've always really liked the factory 700 bolt knob. it's really weird, i know, but it's always been a favorite characteristic of mine.

Mine shipped out yesterday also. I guess Memorial Day shipping was delayed. I cant wait to install it on my Sendero :D

I also got me a Timney trigger. I cant stand the stock Remington triggers the shoe especially is no good for me.

Firearm Pimp

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast