This is my 700
Join Today

Thread: This is my 700

This is my 700

Bought this thing in 1975. 30-06. I think I paid something like $180 for it at the department store. The only rifle I have ever used for deer hunting. Why?? Because I never needed any other. It's never seen a gunsmith. It's never had any part replaced or repaired. It's never failed in any way. This thing and me have spent a lot of good times in the woods. It's been like a good buddy. I'm 73 now and don't get to hunt much anymore but I'll never let it go. When it's my time to go I'm going to take it with me. Keep it clean. Treat it with respect and it will last forever.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the Forum. Where are you from? My 1970s 700s were the same as you have experienced. Decent deer game accuracy (under 1 MOA with reloads and sometimes even with select factor ammo) decent trigger and reliable. Bed the action, float the barrel and it even gets better.

The .30-06 is a very versatile cartridge. 110 Grainers for varmints up to 220+ for bigger game. Just need to match the projectile to the twist rate for the best accuracy.

Hope you get a lot more years out of her.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Welcome to the Forum. Where are you from? My 1970s 700s were the same as you have experienced. Decent deer game accuracy (under 1 MOA with reloads and sometimes even with select factor ammo) decent trigger and reliable. Bed the action, float the barrel and it even gets better.

The .30-06 is a very versatile cartridge. 110 Grainers for varmints up to 220+ for bigger game. Just need to match the projectile to the twist rate for the best accuracy.

Hope you get a lot more years out of her.

Bob
    I'm in Asheboro NC. I've always used factory ammo. 150 grain usually, sometime 180. My 700 has always done it's job so we'll I've never seen any need for any change.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Nice old rifle there ,yes I started deer hunting at 13 with my dads 721 30-06 at 15 got my 1st 700 in 30-06 and used it 24 yrs straight.
    I didn’t need anything different either but had to try the magnums and other wizz bang cartridges,still have that 30-06 and use it every other year now because it’s never failed me either.

Great old Remington 700. 30-06 is one of my favorite calibers.

Similar story for me: two 1960s 700 Bdls; 30.06 and 6mm Remington, and an ADL in .270 Winchester. Can't remember when/where I bought the .270, but that was later. My two BDls "have" seen a gunsmith. If memory serves, neither came with a recoil pad, I'm a wuss and wanted a recoil pad on each. While that was being done I had scope mounts, rings, and scopes installed. Like you, though, I'm taking mine with me.