Remington 700 .257 Roberts - What do I have.
Join Today

Remington 700 .257 Roberts - What do I have.

Greetings from Oregon, I purchased this nice Remington 700 in .257 Roberts recently. Can any of you knowledgeable folks perhaps enlighten me as to your opinions this specific configuration. It is a long action with a 24” barrel. The rifle and optic is in excellent condition. The stock reminds me of a 700 Mountain Rifle. The barrel profile is light. I thought all mountain rifles were 22” and .257 would have been shorter actioned. I’m wondering if I have an anomaly or something non standard. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Welcome to the Forum from New York. Based on the checkering and the forend cap, it looks like an older 700 ADL. 24" with that taper could have just been a regular 700 ADL. Look up the serial number on the Remington site to see the age. Way back there weren't that many sub-categories / models of the 700 ADL and BDL except for the heavy contour barrel varminters.

Could it have been rebarreled at some point? I agree in .257 Roberts, a caliber that I love, it could have had a short action, but knowing Remington, they may have just had a lot of long actions and made it that way. Post WWII with so many Mausers etc. around I am not sure people cared that much what action length they had. Does give you a lot more options if and when you want to rebarrel it.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Thanks for the welcome and reply. After more research, I’ve got a suspicion. The serial number has a “B” suffix, so it could be possible the barreled action is that of a Remington 700 Classic from 1981. Then someone restocked it into a mountain rifle stock. This stock matches my Remington 700 .280 Mountain Rifle exactly, right down to the slim black pad. So perhaps some used a factory mountain rifle stock from a .270, .30-06 or a .280. , based on action length. Probably will never know 100%. I appreciate your input. Thanks very much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Regardless, a very nice example of a Remington 700 in a nice caliber.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

The 257 Roberts was a caliber developed by Gun writer Ned Roberts 10/21/1866 - 7/20/1948. It is very good cartridge and was used for many years. Although the cartridge was short people like Townsend Whelen found that it was more accurate with the .25 cal bullet further out of the case in a long action Winchester model 70. Whelen wrote that he carried his model 70 in 257 Roberts more than any other rifle in his life. Thus I would believe that your rifle was purposely made with the long action but the long 257 Roberts cartridges are a hand loading situation.

That rifle is a Rem 700 Classic in a 700 Mountain Rifle stock.

Nice!
    Last edited by GeoW; 10-13-2020 at 07:43 PM.