(Help) Verifying a 100 Meter (Z) at 25 meters with a 150 gr .308 - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: (Help) Verifying a 100 Meter (Z) at 25 meters with a 150 gr .308

Quote Originally Posted by Model 52 View Post

Personally, I've found that with a bolt action rifle you can place the rifle on a rest or on a bipod and rear bag and then visually bore sight the rifle at a target at 100 yards or meters and be on the paper with the first shot.
    That's an excellent point! And for those who are less visually adept, there are some very wonderful green dot lasers that do a darn perfect job of it too. My green dot sighting system comes from Wheeler Electronics. I have had red dots in the past and even though they are way less money, my experience has been that those are crap and best left to teasing cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    That's an excellent point! And for those who are less visually adept, there are some very wonderful green dot lasers that do a darn perfect job of it too. My green dot sighting system comes from Wheeler Electronics. I have had red dots in the past and even though they are way less money, my experience has been that those are crap and best left to teasing cats.
    The expression "Your Mileage May Vary" is appropriate for laser bore sighters too. I've been using a "red" laser bore sighter I bought from Cabela's for the last couple of years. The unit itself fits the chamber of a .223 as is, and with a series of sleeves will fit just about every popular rifle caliber.

I can put it in the chamber of either my .308 or .223 and actually see the red dot at 100 yards using the high magnification on my scope. The "dot" is more like a "dim splotch" but it allows me to not only get on paper, but within 3" or so every time.

One note however, I do my bore sighting early in the day before bright sun hits the range .

As for my cat? A 20# Maine Coon that doesn't get excited over anything other than the sound of food being poured in it's dish or the rattling of a bag of treats

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    The expression "Your Mileage May Vary" is appropriate for laser bore sighters too. I've been using a "red" laser bore sighter I bought from Cabela's for the last couple of years. The unit itself fits the chamber of a .223 as is, and with a series of sleeves will fit just about every popular rifle caliber.

I can put it in the chamber of either my .308 or .223 and actually see the red dot at 100 yards using the high magnification on my scope. The "dot" is more like a "dim splotch" but it allows me to not only get on paper, but within 3" or so every time.

One note however, I do my bore sighting early in the day before bright sun hits the range .

As for my cat? A 20# Maine Coon that doesn't get excited over anything other than the sound of food being poured in it's dish or the rattling of a bag of treats
    You'd be shocked how profound the difference is between a green laser and a red laser in sunlight. I have both. The other thing I like is this reflective page that Wheeler sends with the green laser. It helps if you have one of those weaker red units. Someone should sell those individually - I think they would make a ton of money.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    You'd be shocked how profound the difference is between a green laser and a red laser in sunlight. I have both. The other thing I like is this reflective page that Wheeler sends with the green laser. It helps if you have one of those weaker red units. Someone should sell those individually - I think they would make a ton of money.
    Considering the number of times I use my "red" bore-sighter for actually bore-sighting, I doubt I'd buy one. I use mine primarily for quick setup of my chronograph. Cuts down on the number of trips back and forth to the rifle or having to have an assistant. Set the rifle up so it's held on target, insert the Bore-sighter, set the chronograph so the dot is in the "sweet spot", and get down to business.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    Considering the number of times I use my "red" bore-sighter for actually bore-sighting, I doubt I'd buy one. I use mine primarily for quick setup of my chronograph. Cuts down on the number of trips back and forth to the rifle or having to have an assistant. Set the rifle up so it's held on target, insert the Bore-sighter, set the chronograph so the dot is in the "sweet spot", and get down to business.
    I'm dialed in on all my sticks now except one. A 770 in 300 Winmag. Once I get that done all my stuff is done and I probably won't need a laser again. I have so much stuff I think I am done with buying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12