My 40X at 1,000 Yards
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rkittine

Thread: My 40X at 1,000 Yards

My 40X at 1,000 Yards

Made it up to Williamsport on Thursday, checked into my motel, got unpacked and headed to the range. One of the guys there had the new Caldwell Target Camera System. Got to have one. (Will explain in a few). Camera mounted 1,000 yards away sighted at the target. Receiver next to the bench on a high light stand and Bluetooth connection to an iPad or laptop. Pull the trigger and check your shot. All for $300.00 and though I am not a huge fan of Caldwell's it seemed to work perfectly.

Friday I set up my bench and finally mounted a 20 MOA Rail on my 40X in 6mmBR Norma with a set of Burris Signature Zee rings so I could get another 10 MOA out of the inserts. With the help of Joe Salt, we got the rifle on paper by sighting in on the berm above the targets and then clicking to the target. Easy to see puff in the dirt but not 6mm holes in paper 1,000 yards away.

A little while later I was making some adjustments to the scope (WRONG THING TO DO) and threw 10 rounds down range toward the paper target. I drove down to the pits to find the target void of any hits. I than was asked by my unintentional spotter, Hogpatrol, who I did not know had been in the pits, if I was the one shooting and he let me know that he watched as all 10 went way left. So much for screwing with the scope.

Once the scope was back to the correct adjustments, I threw 10 more down range in two groups. So drive to the pits, climb down, check the target and climb back up and drive back to the bench. See now why I want the camera system. During more formal shooting there would be radio communication between the pits, with spotters for each shooter.

In any case, my 9" group was nothing to be happy about except that it was using factory Lapua 6mmBR Norma ammo with a cartridge that is really optimized for 300 to 600 yards.

I do feel pretty good about my 40X though and will now see about developing loads for it.

The rest of the day was used to set up all the parameters and see if my new LabRadar Chronograph worked. Shot two more 10 shot strings and after a little relocation adjustments, ended up very happy with the way it works.

Tomorrow back to the books.

Bob

06-02-17 WILLIAMSPORT.jpg
    DRAGON64 likes this.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

RGK
    How do you like your LabRadar Chrono? The one I played with really worked out well. Might have to buy one.
    Bob

I love it Bob. I now use it to develop loads rather than ladder testing. No deviation in speed, eliminate most of the vertical spread. I also bought the Long Range Bullseye Camera System and that made I much easier at any range to work solo.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York