1st Post, trying to get Rem 700 LR 300WM sighted in
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st Post, trying to get Rem 700 LR 300WM sighted in

Took advantage of the recent $150 rebate for non SPS models and picked up a 700LR in 300 win mag P/N 84164. I have enjoyed my 308 SPS Varmint and since I swapped to a full aluminum bedded stock it shoots sub-MOA using 168gr SMK ammo - LOVE THAT RIFLE! It took me a bit to find ammo that the 308 liked but I am very happy with the results now.

This new one, not so much. Came with a Bell & Carson M40 stock which appears to be high quality, no barrel contact that I can see. I did 15 rounds on the initial barrel break-in, cleaned the rifle after each shot. Results were pretty spotty using Remington 150gr CORE LOKT ammo but I was able to finally sight in the scope at 100yds before my shoulder cried UNCLE!

After some reading I decided to try some Hornady 178gr ELD Match ammo to see if I could begin to tighten up the grouping. It is a little more expensive ($35.99 per box at my local gun shop) versus the 150gr Remington ($27.99) but some other guns seem to like it. I was all over the place. Here are some pics of my cheapo paper plate targets at 100yds:

Best grouping using the 178gr Hornady ELD Match
    Hornady 178gr June 17.jpg

Just to be sure, I switched back to the 150gr Remington CORE LOKT
    Remington 150gr June 17.jpg

I'm at a bit of a loss, all were good pulls. Neither is a great grouping but the 150gr was much tighter. Any ideas/input?

Thanks!

Without reloading i would just say try to find a grain bullet it likes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My .300 am likes 180gr bullets the best.When I first started shooting it I didn't group to well either,there's a big difference between a .308 and .300 wm. After a 100 rounds or so my groups started to shrink because I knew what to expect for recoil,the bigger groups were all my fault because of flinching, etc. Keep shooting it and it will come to you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

My 700 5r in 300WM likes Berger 210 VLDs with 70 RL22 and I push them at 2800 fps, not a real hot load but sub MOA. I bought a bunch of the heavier bullets for good ballistic coefficient to use for long range shooting past 1000 yards, if I can get that good haha. I have mine set at a 300 yard zero. I can't remember what the twist rate is on the milspec barrel but mine is bone stock.
    Last edited by Wy700SPS; 07-11-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wy700SPS View Post
    My 700 5r in 300WM likes Berger 210 VLDs with 70 RL22 and I push them at 2800 fps, not a real hot load but sub MOA. I bought a bunch of the heavier bullets for good ballistic coefficient to use for long range shooting past 1000 yards, if I can get that good haha. I have mine set at a 300 yard zero. I can't remember what the twist rate is on the milspec barrel but mine is bone stock.
    As an update, I shot some 180gr Rem Accubond and still 2MOA as seen here:

IMG_0656 (1).JPG

Took the gun apart, no real issues but i did see this odd mark just forward of the rearmost front sling mount:
    IMG_0658 (1).JPG

I would try some heavier quality loads 200+ grain. If you don't reload, try to find a friend that does to help out. Also have someone check to see what pound your trigger is set at.
    Last edited by pikeman; 10-15-2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Add more
    Remington 700 7mm rem mag
    Bell & Carlson stock/ bedded
    Benchmark 26" heavy barell/ black cerakote
    Timney Calvin Elite
    Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56

I've acquired some Berger 230gr rounds from ABM, hoping to see some improvement using the heavier round. Also, I noticed in your signature that you have bedded your B&C stock - did you have the M40 version? I bought the kit from MidwayUSA so I was considering a quick bedding job for the recoil lug to see if it helped. Thanks for the ideas/suggestions so far!

Here is a page from the Berger Manual on the twists recommended for THEIR various bullet weights. Look up on the Remington Sight the twist rate for your rifle or if it is one of the special runs that Dick gets, take a cleaning rod with a free swivel handle and find the twist of your barrel. I find the best starting point is with the recommended weights and BCs for the twist my barrels have.

Target Bullets | Berger Bullets

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Definitely check out that sling swivel post, ensure it does not bear on the barrel in any way. Next, you might try inspecting/ recutting the muzzle crown. It has happened that a new rifle has a dinged up crown. I took a Winchester 94 from patterns at 25 yards to tight little groups at 100 yds with a new muzzle crown.

I bought a 700 Long Range in 7mm Remington Mag. 2 years ago. I shot 5 different factory loads in this rifle, and the best group it would shoot was 3.5". I replaced the X mark pro trigger with a timney trigger set at 2.5 lbs. with the same results. I took the rifle to a gunsmith, he said the action needed to be blue printed. I asked him to skim bed the aluminum block and bed the recoil lug area to start. It still won't shoot better than 3.5" groups with the same loads. I own 4 other model 700's other than this one and they will all shoot sub MOA with several factory loads. I don't want to have to spend the money on blue printing the action and it still not shoot. Maybe this one has a bad barrel and I should just cut my losses and get rid of it. If I have to spend all of this money just to get a new model 700 Long Range to even shoot a decent group at 100 yards, I could have bought a nice semi custom rifle in the first place. I have been a Remington model 700 man for 36 years now, but this rifle is certainly a huge disappointment.
    Last edited by Sensing; 02-26-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast