Benchrest forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchrest forum

Benchrest forum

We should have a forum for everyone who bench shoots with their 700.

6BR informal bench rifle

DSCN2157.jpg

This is a new toy for me. Got this little number as a .22BR with a badly shot out barrel. It now sports an unknown six groove barrel in 6BR for informal benchrest pleasure. All the good things are in place for this rifle to shoot well, but still sorting out bullets. Always a group shooting problem. The trigger is a 2 oz. Shilen and it has been quite a while since I was familiar with a good 2 oz. Initially you have to sneak up on them. Later you think they will never break!

This is my first post, so hope it works.

nice!!
    If you live in the Oklahoma area and like to hunt check out our sister site oklahomahunter.net

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Pretty rifle. I liken the styles and colors of BR guns to customized hot rods. Would love to own one someday. Keep us posted on how it performs.

I like to shoot my "Tactical" rifle alongside the BR shooters. It's fun to put up 5 shot groups at 300 yards that are almost as small as their 3 round groups and I do it from bipod and "bean-bag" while they are all playing with their "Farley Joystick rests".

I love the challenge even though I gave up competing years ago (in order to not have to pay for another divorce attorney )

Grandson bench testing

My nine year old Grandson and I built a junkbox 700 in 6BR several years ago. The 700 action had been butchered by someone unknown and given me as a gift. The barrel was from an old 40X International and was chambered in 6MM International. The stock a used McMillan.

The Grandson had no benchrest experience, but he surprised me! I zeroed the rifle with Sierra 60 grain hollow points and shifted to a group with decades old 62 grain Metzger benchrest bullets. The lad took over with 60 Sierras and shot about .8 for his first group and about .4 for his second. I didn't tell him how old I was before experiencing a group under half minute.

C3's first groups with the 6BR 005.jpgC3's first groups with the 6BR 006.jpg

PD benchrest

This is a PD benchrest, and a photo of an unlucky South Dakota PD. The rest is an ever useful Black & Decker workmate. This Workmate has been used for cleaning, loading, removing barrels and other uses I can't recall.

You may also notice a gold colored barrel on that old 700. The barrel was a 10" twist polygonal rifled H&K barrel, chambered in .223, and then Cadmium plated. Once plated the gold color was added for giggles. Those barrels are great shooters, but with a .216 bore they were what we would think a shade on the tight side. When surplused to Numrich, I bought and fitted one. Then bought all they had!

Various photos - 3 May 2011_0002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by corben1 View Post
    The rest is an ever useful Black & Decker workmate. This Workmate has been used for cleaning, loading, removing barrels and other uses I can't recall.
    Ah yes, the B&D Workmate. Have one that's well over 30 years old and has done all your's has and more. To make more room for shooting and holding ammo boxes, take a piece of 1-1/4" flooring plywood, cut it into a conventional shooting bench shape. Add a 2/4 in the center, fastened lengthwise. Clamp it in the workmate and you have a much larger bench top to let your elbows spread out, etc.

I've even had progressive presses mounted on mine.

They were a lot more affordable when I bought mine

This is an old one, Deadshot. Took it to the Canadian Nationals in the early 80's to clean rifles and dismantle a few. The next year it seemed like every Canadian Fullbore shooter owned one.

Sorry for driving everyone nuts with photos, but I'm just beating in time right now. This Remington rig is planted on an unlimited benchrest rifle and is being used in this photo to test prototype Federal .223 Match at 500 yards. The 6PPC rifle, when attached, is an XP-100. The 7.62 rifle action is a South African Musgrave. Lotsa fun, and it tells the truth with ten shot groups. The upper portion is also set up to machine rest test an AR-15/M-16, but the AR's are shot on their side.

Various photos - 3 May 2011_0001.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast