Neck Sizing Dies
Join Today
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rkittine
  • 1 Post By kanondonkie

Thread: Neck Sizing Dies

Neck Sizing Dies

Do neck sizing dies only size the case neck or, are they also used to bump the shoulder? I've read that some do, some don't. I have both Redding and RCBS non-bushing dies.
    Bitter Gun Owner
    Bitter Clinger
    Armed Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by rlandry6 View Post
    Do neck sizing dies only size the case neck or, are they also used to bump the shoulder? I've read that some do, some don't. I have both Redding and RCBS non-bushing dies.
    Dies such as the the Lee Collet Neck Sizing die only size the neck. If you wish to bump the shoulder back a thousandth or two you can do that with a standard FL sizing die simply by setting the die up to do that. There are numerous instrution on the internet to do that. OR you can have a custom die made from you sized brass.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

I know I can do it with the FL die. I was asking if it was a function of the neck sizing dies also or if they just sized the neck.
    Bitter Gun Owner
    Bitter Clinger
    Armed Infidel

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

You can buy a FL sizing die, a neck sizing die, a bushing neck sizing die or a combination sizing die, which full length sizes the case, bumps back the shoulder and has a bushing for the neck area allowing you to adjust projectile extension. All my rifle dies are custom Full Length sizing, made to the dimensions of my chambers, but also have bushing neck section. Decades ago it was common practice to only size the neck after the first firing, assuming that the case would fireform to your chamber and be more precise. The current trend is to fully resize after every firing. Certainly will produce more consistent ignition and pressure.

For a new build, I fire cases 3 times with only neck sizing. I then send the brass to Whidden along with my reamer spec sheet and they make a custom FL / Neck Bushing dies for me that keeps the working of the brass while resizing, down to a minimum.

Bob
    AverageJo likes this.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Good info but let me ask the original question again. Does a neck sizing die only size the neck or does it bump the shoulder also?
    Bitter Gun Owner
    Bitter Clinger
    Armed Infidel

I will try to answer your question succinctly just as you asked it. I mainly use Redding dies and a neither a standard Redding neck-sizer nor a Redding Bushing neck sizer will bump the shoulder (they are not designed to do this). A Redding technician told me that there is an exception to this if your rifle's chamber is outside of SAAMI tolerances (which then allows the case shoulder to blow out on firing). In such cases, because these dies are machined to close tolerances, you may find that the neck sizing will bump the shoulder back. I use a Redding Ultramag Press and a Redding T7 Turret press. I have also in the past used Lee Collett neck sizing dies and know that if these fine dies are used correctly they will not bump the case shoulder. The instructions that come with Lee Collett dies do not suggest that they will bump case shoulders back.
    Doom likes this.

Sorry that I told you how to build a watch rather than what time it was, but if you wade through what I posted, kanondonkie said it more directly. A neck sizing die, bushing or otherwise is not made to bump the shoulder back on SAMMI spec chamberings. I am only responding again to include that in order to not damage the shoulder, most do not size the neck all the way down to the junction of the shoulder to insure no shoulder damage. The only time I use a neck Sizing die only is when I am loading at the bench to modify loads for conditions and only use an arbor press for that job.
    Last edited by rkittine; 02-01-2019 at 06:55 AM.
    Robert Kittine

Quote Originally Posted by rlandry6 View Post
    No. Neck dies do not bump the shoulder back, they only size the neck. I've had pretty good experience with Redding neck dies. If they don't work then I go to my Lee Collet Dies neck dies. To bump the shoulder back I would recommend the Redding Body Die (often referred to as a bump die). Depending on how hot a load, the particular brass and run of brass, and the chambering you are loading for, you will need to bump the shoulder after 1 to 5 firings generally. Usually bumping back .001 to no more than .002. Only sizing the neck will help the brass last longer, especially if you anneal the necks after 4-5 firings. These days with most brands of brass I often anneal the necks after the first firing.

The Hornady Headspace Gauge is what I use to measure the length at the shoulder.

In the 60s and 70s I neck sized only until the case got too hard to extract. That was the norm. Today, I full length resize and bump back on every reload getting consistent case volume and more consistent accuracy results. Times change.

Bob
    Robert Kittine