Need a Whidden Die Expert
Join Today

Need a Whidden Die Expert

I decided to convert all of my FL sizing dies using the Whidden's new click-adjustable locking ring.
    I read the instruction card that comes with each ring and was OK up to getting to the part that has you get the inner and outer ring flush on the bottom. The instruction says that I should expect only the outer ring to contact the press.
    Here's where the confusion comes in. If I do the coarse adjustment on the press with both rings flush, the only adjustment allowed is to raise the die, giving less shoulder bump. Screwing the outer ring down does not allow the die to sit lower allowing more shoulder bump.
    Here is where the confusion stars. Looking at Whidden's video on setting up a die with these rings, it shows the inner ring to be touching the press and the lower edge of the outer ring is about halfway up the inner ring. This would allow the die to be moved in either direction but nothing in the video or the instructions indicate to set it up like this. Any insight would be appreciated. I guess I can call Whidden in the morning.
    Bitter Gun Owner
    Bitter Clinger
    Armed Infidel

Give Whidden a call. The Whidden family is always happy to talk to users (or potential users) about their product. I only use custom Whidden dies, but I am not sure how to answer your question.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

That was my next move. Waiting on a callback from them..

Edit:
    Spent quite a while on the phone with one of his employees going over the instructions and the setup of the die/ring. Finally figured out there were two errors on the video and one on the instruction card that came with the ring. I know he was getting frustrated because I was, but he was vary patient and helpful, so Kudos to Whidden Gunwerks. It's a class company.
    For those interested, in the initial setup of the locking ring, the inner and our ring has to start out being flush at the top, not on the bottom. Once we figured that out the rest was simple and the locking ring does what it's represented to do. This won't mean much unless you watch his video, but hopefully it will help someone. These are the ticket to convert your existing sizing die to be click adjustable when setting shoulder bump. No more trial and error moving the die up and down. I'm a happy camper.
    Last edited by rlandry6; 04-22-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    Bitter Gun Owner
    Bitter Clinger
    Armed Infidel