What's on your reloading bench
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's on your reloading bench

During the lock down earlier in the year was able to cope with it spending almost every day prepping cases, tumbling brass, resizing cases, cleaning primer pockets, dropping powder and seating the bullets. I went through every piece of brass, mostly .223, .45 ACP, 9 mm, 30 carbine and then rolled AA Trap and Skeet loads on the MEC 9000's.

After so many years of metallic on the Hornady classic single stage it was time to go the progressive route. While favored the Hornady LNL AP did look over the Dillion's on You Tube and sought opinions of fellow shooters who load on Dillion's. My timing worked out well as scored a LNL AP as ammo dried up so did reloaders and components. Now I had the press loaded most of my brass in the cabinet and exhausted most of my primers.

Lucky me, my brother shoots @ an Indoor Range, doesn't reload as the range sweeps up the brass in 5 gal bucket for the dumpster. When he shoots they allow him to sweep up the brass and he sorts it out. Now with fresh 1x fired range brass time to set up the AP. Even if you have experience reloading their was a learning curve going progressive with metallic. I use Lee 4 Die Carbide sets so buying new Die sets wasn't required as compared to Dillion Die tools. I'm a fan of the final crimp die for hand guns. Another good feature about the AP, while you have to add a light for the loading plate but its designed the back frame bar @ a angle so you can observe powder has been dropped in the case. I've only loaded 9 mm & .45 and thinking of .30 Carbine since they are straight wall. I shot CMP style events @ my former club with M-1 Garand and 1903A3 but now just the carbines. While the AP is saving me a ton of time will continue to load bottle neck brass on the single stage.

Guys I shoot with that don't reload were comfortable with buying flats of ammo when prices were reasonable now they have been forced to scale down their shooting while those of us that reload are not feeling that pinch as bad if you have primers.
    Last edited by mayor; 11-29-2020 at 06:16 PM.

I have three loading benches set up. One for precision rifle, one for shotgun and one for pistol. I don't like auto indexing progressive presses, but with some 25 shotguns, I do full size my shotgun loads, so I have 5 MEC Grabbers in 12,16,20,28 and .410.

For rifle I have a combination of things. Foster Coaxial Press, K&M Arbor and a Harrells "C". All my dies for bench rest are Custom Whidden, cut for my chamber / reamers and for my non-bench rest rifles, Whidden stock die sets. Also have the normal complement of support stuff. Wilson Micrometer Trimmer, K&M Neck Turners, Lyman Case Prep Machine, Concentricity gauge, inside and outside micrometers etc. Baring Surface Gauge, Hand Micrometer Priming Tool, Old fashion large Thumbler's Tumbler for brass pistol brass and commercial ultrasonic for bench rest brass. Annealing Machine (I think this winter I will upgrade to a Giraurd flameless induction Annealer) Plus all the bits and pieces for primer pockets, powder weighing and throwing, neck size bushings etc.

For pistol, I have a conventional turret press for calibers I don't shoot often and mainly use Lee Carbide 4 Die sets as Mayor does. But, for my Bullseye Pistols I use Star Presses and have been since the 70s. I have one in .38 WC, one in .32 S&W Long Wad Cutter and one in .45 Semi-Wad Cutter.

Once the winter weather really sets in, I will be restocking my ammo for the upcoming outdoor season.

And, although I do not reload rim fire, I do sort ammo by weight, concentricity and rim thickness, not in that order.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Bob,

Your far more precise on your rifles, that's understandable considering your rifles, calibers and yardage. I don't weigh my cases, rifle case COL + or - few thousands while over all bullet COL is precise for throat. I use a RCBS charge master for rifle and checking the Hornady LNL AP pistol drops, it was a fine investment.

I don't about your clubs while Action Pistol, shooting steel plates on a timer very popular around here why I had to go progressive loading 9mm and .45 after factory ammo triple in price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I use Dillon, RCBS, Lyman & Pacific on my bench. I've downsized a bit over the last few years as equipment goes but still have too much.

Nice - I do have a RCBS Chargemaster and an Omega Auto-Trickler, plus a Scott Parker Beam Scale, a Gempro 250 and an FX120i. I have a couple of powder throwers that I use for pistol and one for short range bench rest.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Quote Originally Posted by Nahum View Post
    I use Dillon, RCBS, Lyman & Pacific on my bench. I've downsized a bit over the last few years as equipment goes but still have too much.

That's a wonderful set up, all you need is a TV mounted on the wall .................................

Exactly what you don't want. I try to keep all distractions or things that cause distractions out of my reloading room. Way too much chance of making a mistake if I get distracted. Now in the gun room / man cave, that is a different situation.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

We talk often about reloading safety. That picture brings up an interesting subject. Powder storage. Most building codes and insurance companies require compliance with NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) 495 as a minimum. Local codes can be more restrictive. In the event of a fire, if it’s determined that powder was improperly stored the insurance company may challenge any claim and the owner may possibly be liable for damages to other property or persons. The link below is a SAAMI document that describes the basics of storage per the 1996 version of NFPA 495.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...ess-Powder.pdf

NFPA 495 also has requirements for primer storage and is available for view online.

I am not a lawyer and the above is not to be considered legal advice. I did spend 35 years in design/construction/operation of commercial/ industrial facilities.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

I built a powder magazine, for just that reason and keep my loading room powder to what code in my area allows, which the insurance company will honor. (28 pounds here)

Bob
    Robert Kittine

50 pounds here, wished I had 50 pounds would be worth a fortune in todays market
    Last edited by mayor; Yesterday at 01:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

lockingdown a reloading bench

Click on a term to search for related topics.