308 or 30-06
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 308 or 30-06

308 or 30-06

So here is my dilemma. I am looking at building a new system and have been thinking about whether or not to get back into reloading. And If I do. should I go with the 700 Long range in 30-06 vs a sps varmint in 308. Both have the twist rate and 26" barrel I want but the 06 has more ability to develop a hotter load within range the firearm will tolerate. I will have to thread the barrel either way for the can anyway so that is a wash. The long range has a much better stock then the varmint IMHO so it delays getting the chassis system I want until later down the road and leave me to get the base rings and scope first(30 moa).
    Yes I will be trying to stretch it and myself as far as possible 1000+
    I am not wanting to step up to 300WM or RUM but given the 7mm has better bullet BC maybe even go that route? a 162gr a max is something like .55BC correct?
    Yes i am capable of and have shot 1000+ before but that was long ago in another life for uncle sam. This is purely for my enjoyment and occasional hunting. Granted for deer etc the range would be limited to how far I can keep 1100FPE ish. I am wanting to keep the gr weight around 160-180.

Just thoughts I am having and settling before I buy the main rifle part.

Thoughts please??

If you are looking for the most consistent accuracy hand loading, I would go with the .308. The shorter case will give you better "Filling" of the case and more consistent burns.

Just my 2 cents. Bob
    Winxp_Man and Str8shot like this.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

If I were to build another 30 caliber rifle it be one of these.

A 30-06 with 26-30 inch barrel. Bullet would be a 185 gr Berger Juggernaut.

A .308 built on a Long Action with 26" barrel. Same bullet but loaded farther out in case. With the long action one can load the .308 with a bullet seated out long enough so that the bullet base doesn't extend below the case neck/shoulder junction yet still be able to feed the rounds from a magazine.

Yes, the 30-06 holds more powder but the .308 seems to burn it better. Using the longer barrel(s) allows for different powder selection (slower burn) than most standard .308 offerings.

The .308 is a cartridge that can be loaded so close to 06 performance that it's really taken over the market the old case used to enjoy. Newer powders and better design on heavier bullets has allowed the .308 to perform well with out having to go to the painful magnum calibers for ranges up to 1k or so. Beyond that, be prepared to shoot something that costs you $3.00 - $7.00 per pull of the trigger.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

DS if one reloads you have the 7mm magnum or 300 WM that are still reasonable to shoot if you reload though. Because match ammo is hard to find for these calibers. Plus you do not feel bad shooting a .308 win ever because ammo is still pretty cheap even match ammo.
    Str8shot likes this.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

I've kind of been leaning towards the 308 more but in a 26 inch barrel plus Titanium Yankee Hill Phantom. That or 7MM that I reload myself. Thoughts?

In my part of the country the 7mm magnum is a dying caliber. Those that have them merely leave them in the safe, buying a .308 or going all the way to a .338 LM.

300 win-mag is also falling out of favor here. For that matter ANY cartridge that uses a belted case is on the "I'll never buy another one of those" list.

Belted cases are notorious for short case life and difficulties in properly sizing when reloading.

I admired the 7 X 57 back in the day. What's the deal with the 7mm-08?

If I were simply paper punching, I'd say 308. If you plan on hunting, I prefer the 30.06.

My daughter and I love our 30-06's! We shoot a lot of calibers but mainly fall back to the '06

Quote Originally Posted by sixpointeightfan View Post
    My daughter and I love our 30-06's! We shoot a lot of calibers but mainly fall back to the '06
    I have multiple rifles in multiple calibers. Among them 270, and 30-06. They are great weapons but this is going to be a ground up long range shooter. Not soft point bullet guns. I have my fathers old Remington model 74 in 06'. But like I said, I'm making a long range gun.
    Side question is where ya at in Wis? I used to live in Minocqua and the family is still there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast