Join Today
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Deadshot2
  • 1 Post By Deadshot2
  • 1 Post By hillman
  • 1 Post By Deadshot2

Thread: working up a accurate load

working up a accurate load

I am trying to work up a load for my new 308. Got me thinking , What steps do you do in working up and finding your most accurate load?
    Lots of variables. You have the obvious primers .powder and charge weights and of course bullet selection. but then you get into seating depths, re sizing measurement and i am sure a lot more things I don't even know about.
    Thanks

There are lots of posts concerning favorite powders for the 308, and is a pretty good place to begin. Favorite powders are IMR4064, IMR4895, Reloader 15, Varget, and a few others. Mostly, I find that accuracy depends more upon the bullet than your powder selection. When I am choosing a powder for a caliber, I look to see which gives me the fastest velocity in the starting load column, and normally there will be 3 to 5 powders near each other.

To begin loading, I use the bullet manufacturers suggested starting charge, primers and overall length. Then try upping the powder charge in 2 or 3 grain increments until I see the groups shrink, using 10 to 20 shots each-that takes away flukes which might be seen in 3 or 5 shot groups. When I find the charge weight it likes, I then begin changing the overall length .005 to .010 longer to dial it in.

Some like to fully resize their cases, and others neck size depending on how warm the load is. If you find your best groups near suggested maximums, I recommend setting up your resizing die to push the shoulder back just a few thousandths. It works the brass less and will chamber easily. I also recommend you trim your brass initially to the same length and re trim when it gets close to the max case length. If you are going to use military brass, keep the loads 1.5 to 2.0 grains less than the maximum charge weight listed-military cases are generally thicker and so have less capacity. Winchester brass and Lapua seem to be among the 2 most favored, although I am trying out Hornady Match brass with good results too.

For target work, the Sierra Match King is a pretty forgiving bullet in the 168 to 175 grain weights with all of the above in play.

Working up a load is best done from the beginning. That means you have to decide on the brass, primers, powder, and bullet you want to use FIRST.

Second step is a "Ladder Test". This is done to identify the basic accuracy nodes that exist in your rifle.

Next you do what has become to be known as the OCW test. This involves shooting groups of each powder charge rather than just single shots ike done in the Ladder Test.

Final step is to adjust seating depth for the absolute best possible load from your components.

Here's the "Ladder Test"

Creighton Audette?s Ladder Test | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Here's the OCW information:

OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

For the seating depth adjustments, just start with the bullets seated as you did with the OCW test then adjust seating depth by small amounts (.003" -.005") at a time, longer or shorter, until your groups shrink to their smallest.

IMPORTANT---- Only perform ONE test at a time and in sequence from Ladder to seating depth. If you do more than one test at a time you'll end up chasing your tail until you disappear up your own -----------.

If you follow these guidelines you will be able to make just about any brass, primer, powder, bullet, combination shoot well. I know, I do it regularly.
    Last edited by Deadshot2; 03-13-2015 at 09:18 AM.
    hillman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

(Good stuff, D2.) I'll just point out that when you have completed the described process, you have 'worked up a load' for that combination of components only. If you are, or become an accuracy-nut, changing a component restarts the process. Thanks be to the God of Ballistics.

Quote Originally Posted by hillman View Post
    (Good stuff, D2.) I'll just point out that when you have completed the described process, you have 'worked up a load' for that combination of components only. If you are, or become an accuracy-nut, changing a component restarts the process. Thanks be to the God of Ballistics.
    This is not an "absolute". When components became scarce I did one "experimenting". I took the three different cases I use regularly and did some serious data gathering with my chronograph. Swapping primers while using the same case, powder, and bullet, then recording speeds, SD's, ES, gave me some primers that work so close I now use them interchangeably. CCI, CCI BR's, Wolf, Fed, Tula, are so close I don't change my loads at all and still get awesome accuracy. Winchester and Remington primers are the only ones that drastically change my load performance.

Not to say that one shouldn't pay attention to load differences when changing cases and primers but the primer differences among standard primers is slowly going away as manufacturing techniques become more uniform.
    realistic likes this.

Ah. I had figured that the primer would be the smallest variable. Interesting that Remington and Winchester open up the spread. Also interesting that CCI and Federal are 'so close'.
    realistic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hillman View Post
    Ah. I had figured that the primer would be the smallest variable. Interesting that Remington and Winchester open up the spread. Also interesting that CCI and Federal are 'so close'.
    Can't speak directly to the Remington primers but the Winchester primers are definitely "hotter". They're designed to light off Winchester powders which are ball type and notoriously difficult to obtain uniform ignition with.

As for the Remingtons, all the information I've read call them "Magnums" and the only non magnum is the 6-1/2 for the 22 Hornet.

Actually, when looking for absolute accuracy, which is another word for "consistency", the largest variable is "neck tension". Not just as measured by the ID of the case neck prior to seating a bullet but the consistency of the metal itself. Ever wonder why, when all the necks are the same thickness, same ID after sizing, the actual seating force is different from bullet to bullet. Sometimes not much and sometimes requiring some real effort.

This is a result of case necks being work hardened to different levels of hardness/strength. Annealing fixes this of course but many people focus their efforts on components.
    hillman likes this.