New member - I bought a used ADL that will not fire
Join Today

New member - I bought a used ADL that will not fire

Good morning. I bought a used ADL in 30-06 that appears to function fine but will not fire. I've cleaned the rifle, thinking that it may be a fouling issue but it still will not go bang. The bolt appears to be fine and the firing pin is revealed 1-1.5 mm when placed into the fired position. When I examine the back of the bolt the firing pin guide is recessed approx. 5 mm when out of the rifle, but only 2-3 mm when "fired" in the rifle. Obviously something is impeding the full movement of the firing pin. The sear depresses when I pull the trigger and press down on it. The safety works as it should when engaged/disengaged. There is just no indentation noted on the primers.

The rifle appears to be a July 1972 manufacture when I look the SN up online. It was obviously well cared for as the rifling is sharp and the wood stock is in good shape. I bought it from someone that does not know the history of the rifle.

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

Thanks.
    Last edited by MSGB545; 05-12-2020 at 10:29 AM. Reason: incomplete information

Welcome to the Forum from New York.

Might be the firing pin spring in the bolt. Do you know how to disassemble the bolt?

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Thank you Bob. I had disassembled the bolt previously and found nothing there.

Last evening I went further with the disassembly, removing the scope and Leupold base- and finding that one of the Torx screws was too long. Approx. 0.5 mm of the screw penetrated into the breech and impeded the movement of the lug- preventing full closing of the bolt. I visited the grinder with this screw - Problem solved! I wish I would have thought of this sooner.....

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by MSGB545; 05-15-2020 at 08:12 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Glad that you fixed it.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

That’s a new one to me ,thanks for sharing.