Rounds from AAC-SD striking Surefire Muzzle brake...
Join Today

Rounds from AAC-SD striking Surefire Muzzle brake...

My guess is that Remington did not do too good a job threading my barrel. At first I was having problems zeroing and grouping. I wasted a ton of handloaded and factory ammo and at first thought it was my rounds and or the scope, but I did a process of elimination and couldn't figure it out; everything checked out. I was really focusing on my fundamentals trying to be sure it wasnt me (I'm an experienced shooter, US Army AMU / Sniper trained with years of experience) and then a civilian range master approached me and said pieces of copper jacket from my rounds were hitting people behind me. I looked and I could see that the rounds had been striking the new Surefire muzzle brake I had just installed so I immediately removed the brake and sent it back for a replacement.

A few weeks later I installed the new brake, but I PCS'D before I could test it. Last month I finally hit the range with the second brake and the marks on the brake weren't as bad or noticeable, but again I could not get a consistent group or zero and then a piece of jacket ricocheted and landed in my back. It f-ing hurt and I had to use two mirrors and tweezers to get it out after the range.

Both days, as soon as the brake was removed, I was able to group and zero; I mean I was clovering at 100 yards.

The rifle is less than three years old, but probably not under warranty anymore.

So now im wondering, do I pay a gunsmith to verify my barrel's threading concentricity, circularity, and cylindricity and possibly change out the barrel before I install a Silencerco ASR Brake? I'm about 6 months away from my Hybrid 46 tax stamp and don't want to risk a baffle strike...

Welcome to the forum. I would have a gunsmith check the threads and if that is causing a misalignment or if the brake was incorrectly machined. The brake can possibly be opened up slightly to solve the issue, but if the threads are the problem, than a new brake is not going to solve it. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

There are 2 sets of threads involved here: 1. Those on the Barrel, 2. Those on the Break. Either set or both can be out of align with center of bore. Who cut the barrel threads? Remington? Who cut the break threads?
    Opening up your break may prevent projectile v break strikes but the effect of gas flow around the projectile will still be uneven.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I have brakes that are caliber specific ... that's to say the brake's opening is specific to the caliber of the bore. I could put a 6.5mm on one of my 30 caliber barrels because the threads are cut the same. Is it possible that the brake isn't the correct one for the caliber bullet you're shooting?