Rounds from AAC-SD striking Surefire Muzzle brake...
Join Today

Rounds from AAC-SD striking Surefire Muzzle brake...

My guess is that Remington did not do too good a job threading my barrel. At first I was having problems zeroing and grouping. I wasted a ton of handloaded and factory ammo and at first thought it was my rounds and or the scope, but I did a process of elimination and couldn't figure it out; everything checked out. I was really focusing on my fundamentals trying to be sure it wasnt me (I'm an experienced shooter, US Army AMU / Sniper trained with years of experience) and then a civilian range master approached me and said pieces of copper jacket from my rounds were hitting people behind me. I looked and I could see that the rounds had been striking the new Surefire muzzle brake I had just installed so I immediately removed the brake and sent it back for a replacement.

A few weeks later I installed the new brake, but I PCS'D before I could test it. Last month I finally hit the range with the second brake and the marks on the brake weren't as bad or noticeable, but again I could not get a consistent group or zero and then a piece of jacket ricocheted and landed in my back. It f-ing hurt and I had to use two mirrors and tweezers to get it out after the range.

Both days, as soon as the brake was removed, I was able to group and zero; I mean I was clovering at 100 yards.

The rifle is less than three years old, but probably not under warranty anymore.

So now im wondering, do I pay a gunsmith to verify my barrel's threading concentricity, circularity, and cylindricity and possibly change out the barrel before I install a Silencerco ASR Brake? I'm about 6 months away from my Hybrid 46 tax stamp and don't want to risk a baffle strike...

Welcome to the forum. I would have a gunsmith check the threads and if that is causing a misalignment or if the brake was incorrectly machined. The brake can possibly be opened up slightly to solve the issue, but if the threads are the problem, than a new brake is not going to solve it. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York