R700 SPS Tactical Build (6.5 Creedmoor) - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: R700 SPS Tactical Build (6.5 Creedmoor)

Slowly coming together, the Timney arrived and was installed, and the KRG Bravo will be next.

KRG_Timney.jpg
    mayor likes this.

As of my last post; When I made the last post, I turned my rifle over to a local gunsmith to have the action trued/blue printed, the bolt lapped, and to have a small relief cut to the muzzle so that a muzzle brake could seat properly to the barrel. 15 weeks later I picked up what I would call a mess:

Action was supposedly trued, but the recoil lug and barrel were never trued, so the barrel was no longer centered in the stock channel. Cold blue was used to cover damage to finish caused by the barrel slipping in the vice. The bolt was briefly lapped, yet the lugs still make little to no contact with the action... Due to my complaints, all monies were refunded.

I talked with my FFL, the owner of Magnus Bullets here in Toney, AL; I asked for a good gunsmith recommendation. I visited the said gunsmith, described what I had hoped to achieve with my build, and now I believe I have a path forward:

True blue print of action, lug, barrel and bolt plus Parkerizing of the entire action.

More to come when I get the rifle back in hand.
    mayor likes this.

Dragon64,

We would enjoy pictures once smithy completes the work. You using the factory barrel or custom?

Since you're in Alabama ever shoot @ CMP Shooting Park @ Talladega? I received CMP e-mail, the pictures are awesome so many shooting activities offered by CMP.
    Last edited by mayor; 12-25-2020 at 06:42 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mayor View Post
    Dragon64,

We would enjoy pictures once smithy completes the work. You using the factory barrel or custom?

Since you're in Alabama ever shoot @ CMP Shooting Park @ Talladega? I received CMP e-mail, the pictures are awesome so many shooting activities offered by CMP.
    mayor - I will be using the factory barrel for now, unless it proves to be junk. As for the CMP; I have shopped the CMP many times in person, but I have never been to the Talladega store and range. I do have a goal to attend one day, as I hear that it is an awesome venue.

Trying to be patient, as I would really like to get this rifle zeroed and on the range.

Doyle Anglin in Georgia has done a number of 700 actions for me. He knows what he is doing.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Late entry here, sorry
    I think you are doing the right thing by shooting the factory barrel for the first year. It seems to me that this sport can be extremely addictive and expensive. Like any other competition go shoot a few. Everyone there is helpful and will point the way. See if you like it! You maybe dumping money into what ends up being an over the top hunting rifle!
    Save the money. Get a decent optic. Get a couple of good shooting bags. Put the receiver on the KRG like you said. Go have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12