R700 SPS Tactical Build (6.5 Creedmoor)
Join Today

R700 SPS Tactical Build (6.5 Creedmoor)

I want to participate in some state PRS matches here in Alabama. I already own a RPR in 308, but I want to run a Rem 700 in 6.5 CM. Note, this not a custom build with blue printing and custom barrels etc. Essentially I am taking a R700 barreled action from Eurooptic and assembling a rifle with off-the-shelf parts

The criteria so far:

Build for PRS/NRL matches
    6.5 Creedmoor
    R700 SPS Tactical AAC-AD (barreled action)
    KRG Bolt Lift
    Some kind of muzzle brake (recommendations welcome)
    AICS style mags (probably Pmags for cost savings)
    Harris 6X9 bi-pod

From here, I having been battling the pros and cons of stock vs chassis. Price wise, depending on choices I have been researching: XLR for the chassis and Bell & Carlson for the stock.

My budget is coming in at around $2500 total, to include an optic, reload dies etc, in order to support and shoot this rig.

For the XLR chassis, I am pricing out the Element and Evolution, as they both strike my fancy. For the Bell & Carlson, there is a competition/target stock or the M40 that will accept an M5 bottom metal ste up.

Have I provided enough data to elicit your help and/or guidance?

I’m currently considering a build and am curious about the same choices.

I’m not a chassis shooter nor do I shoot PRS but what the heck, here’s 2 cents worth based on my considerations. Do standard stocks fit you well? Since you will be using different shooting position will a standard stock be the best compromise? The nice thing about the chassis is the ability to change grips, buttstock shape and length of pull. Is weight a consideration?

Please let us know what you decide.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

I am pricing a multitude of options; right now I have an email into Bell & Carlson about a stock or two that I like. Specifically the Tactical Thumb Hook. I was looking to see if I can special order it with an M5 bottom metal in-letting. If not, the Target/Competition stock does comes with M5 in-letting, and remains a possible contender.

The R700 barreled action should be in later this week, I'm not sure just how much I will work with it, while I await other parts. I suppose I could send to a gunsmith and see about blue-printing and installing a larger recoil lug. Then again, a good cleaning and deburring might just be all that is needed.
    Last edited by DRAGON64; 02-11-2020 at 06:06 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

A tricked out Chassis, will give you a lot of options for Fit as Doom has pointed out. I do find that my Chassis in .308 Palma, being lighter weight, does not absorb as much of the recoil as my heavy laminated stocks. In my opinion, it should fit you comfortably, but most important be set up so that it correctly holds the action and floats the barrel.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

The chassis I have been evaluating is the XLR Element. I was leaning towards the Evolution as well, but that hand gaurd, I feel, may present a problem if I go PRS or NRL. In the videos I have watched, it would seem that most anyone that shoot these type of matches run with open barreled chassis

My .308 Palma is built on this Chassic.

https://jlenterprise.net/product/pdc...ition-chassis/

I have the optional fully adjustable comb as well as the front upper and lower rail and a palm rest.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

I am still undecided on a chassis vs a stock option; but on a lighter note, the barreled action is sitting at my FFL, so hopefully I will get to pick it up this evening.

My FFL is Magnus Bullets, a small company that makes lead bullets for a number of firearms. They have a couple boxes of 158gr 38-Special Semi Wadcutter hollow points for me (very similar to the FBI round), looks like I get to do a lot of playing indoors this weekend!

I ran across an obscure post on another forum about aluminum clam shell bolt knobs for Remington rifles like the 700 & 783, and since I was about to pull the trigger on another KRG bolt lift, I thought I would investigate. Ebay has a listing for aluminum clam shell bolt knobs, that resemble the Badger Ordnance knobs (only bigger), and they are lightly knurled. I picked up two, one for this build, and one for my Long Range R700 that I have. I will report more on these items when I get them; in the meantime, here is a link to the knobs I purchased:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-7...MAAOSwA3dYmi6O

There are other options on Ebay, so shop around if you are interested.

s-l500.jpg
    Last edited by DRAGON64; 02-13-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Here is a video I made of about the bolt lift I received from the ebay purchase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6bV...re=em-comments