Hello everyone Newbe hear
Join Today

Hey Everyone Newbe here from Indiana. I've been a shooter for about 20 years but limited to handguns and M1A's, predominatly. Love my M1A's.
    I had a HK MP5 clone which I recently traded someone for a Sig 556 Swat Tactical. I was actually wanting a nice bolt action 308. Which brings me here. I was at the toy store that I frequent (all too much). They have a few Rem 700's, one in particular that caught my eye (without any touchy feelie of any of them) was a 700 SPS Tactical, with a threaded bbl which had a brake already installed.

I asked to see it, shoudered it, dry fired a couple of times ( very different that what I'm used to, but still felt good, not havining any experiece).

Now with my favorite M1A I'm good to 500 yrds. So initally, after reading alot on the net I was wanting a 23-26" bbl, looking for maximum accuracy. Then after talking to a couple of the guys, they mentioned that regular shooters that ger the longer barrels usually come back and have their barrels cut down.

So here's my dilemma...I'm like the Sig (coolness), but I really like the 308. At the toy store I thought I see what I would get for a trade ( I realize I can get more selling outright), but the owner offered me an even trade for the SPS Tactical with the brake. He's got a price of $719 on the Tactical.

Now keep in mind this will be my entry into & 1st bolt action. So I'm looking for opinions and/or suggestions.

Welcome to the forum.I have a remington sps tactical 20in 308 i love mine. I payed 600 for mine shipped from grabagun.com if you dont want to go with the sps tactical i would go with the remington 700 5R iv heard many good things about them to. note the sps tactical stock are cheap and you most likely will want to replace it .Also the sps tac is 1-12 twist and the sps tac aac is 1-10

Remington 700 SPS 308 Win 20 HB AAC with flash hider
    http://grabagun.com/rem-700-sps-308w...aac-bo-fh.html

Remington 700 SPS 308 Win 20 HB
    http://grabagun.com/long-guns/rifles...0-hb-mblk.html

Remington 700 SPS TACT AAC 308 Win 20 inch HB
    http://grabagun.com/rem-700-sps-tact...win-20-hb.html

Welcome to the forum. I bought the 700SPS in the varmint 26" bbl and 308 and love it! To each their own...

That said, I bought mine through Davidson Gallery of Guns and thought the price was reasonable, you might look there. Their on-line system works well by my experience.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler — 1933

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Yea this is the one he is willing to trade for the Sig 556 . Realistically I only have about $800 in the Sig.
    http://grabagun.com/rem-700-sps-308w...aac-bo-fh.html

Or may just wait till after the election and see what (if any) prices do with Black Rifles.

I've read lots about the stocks, but since I'm just beginning this format I doubt I'd notice the difference. Once proficient, If I feel that a different stock will be worth the investment , by what I've read maybe a Bell & Karl stock.

I did begin to look at the Savage, but then realized that I still have the old school thinking about them. Though everthing I've read seems to be superb.
    I just can't seem to get that 700 out of my head. Don't get me wrong, I like that Sig but it's only a 223. I have a fair supply of 308 Ammo and am starting to get into reloading accuracy rounds. I've found that paying a few $ for surplus ammo ( when I can find it) is worth it to me. Plus I've got about spent 3000 Win. casings.

So how would the Remington realistically to the Savage (just out of curiosity)?

Hey TR, thise are some nice groups...are those from the bench or prone?

I may be getting a cheek weld if needed, my M1a's all have them.

The tightest group was from a bench - I had one out of the group and that was probably operator induced. The other was prone.

The Grabagun prices look pretty good.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler — 1933

Yea I noticed that , but I kind of went alot out of budget this year on hobbies,
    Though i suppose I could wait and save!
    As for the trade deal...any thoughts?

If you could hang on to the Sig - I would. Those can be hard to come by and may get harder (depending on elections).

It's hard to be patient. I have gotten rid of guns I wished I hadn't. The one that comes to mind is a Dan Wesson 44 mag 10" barrel that I shot silhouettes with years ago.
    Adolph Hitler — 1933