Anyone used Witt Machine Muzzle brake?
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone used Witt Machine Muzzle brake?

  1. #1
    Junior Member Dragman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    10
    This is a Clamp on one. Anyone? Thanks Wayne

    http://wittmachine.net/index.php?mai...0smr9s5ql1ek45
    Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308 | 20 MOA EGW Base | Burris Rings | 6x20x56 Springfield Armory Gov Mil-Dot Scope | Archangel Stock w/20 rd Mags | Timney 510 Trigger

  2. #2
    Junior Member Dragman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    10
    nobody has used this?
    Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308 | 20 MOA EGW Base | Burris Rings | 6x20x56 Springfield Armory Gov Mil-Dot Scope | Archangel Stock w/20 rd Mags | Timney 510 Trigger

  3. #3
    Senior Member Deadshot2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    2,334
    Kind of hoping someone does chime in with their experiences with this brake. Am thinking seriously on adding one to my .308, not so much because the recoil is excessive, just so I can stay on target easier for following shots.

    Pretty good looking piece if you don't mind a large brake out front. Also kind of interested in any comments by people who've experienced any side blast from the Witt itself. Some brakes can be pretty nasty to the shooters on either side in a range environment.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Winxp_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sack-Of-Tomatoes(sacramentoCA)
    Posts
    2,799
    Looking at the design it will work. Most good brakes will do what they are made to do. So I would say its more of a preference over how it works. Most of the brakes I have used where are a similar like this brake that is in the link. I do not like the long clamp on the brake though. I can post a link to vide's I have made using such design.
    shoot to kill not wound !

    Firearm Pimp

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    221
    I just received my order after Thanksgiving. I installed it on my SPS TAC but haven't shot it yet. It fit perfectly. I ordered it in the white and Dura coated it from the rattle can. I spoke with Ken Witt on the phone, he's a real good guy. Don't hesitate to call him up with questions before you order, he will take the time with you.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Deadshot2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    2,334
    Quote Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
    I just received my order after Thanksgiving. I installed it on my SPS TAC but haven't shot it yet. It fit perfectly. I ordered it in the white and Dura coated it from the rattle can. I spoke with Ken Witt on the phone, he's a real good guy. Don't hesitate to call him up with questions before you order, he will take the time with you.

    Just out of curiosity, did you fit it first then remove to duracoat? I'm interested in how much it might mark up the barrel metal and finish (duracoat/cerracote).

    Just curious. If I do purchase one I probably will never remove it other than to touch up the crown and then immediately reinstall so marking will be moot but I kind of like to have all the info I can

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did you fit it first then remove to duracoat? I'm interested in how much it might mark up the barrel metal and finish (duracoat/cerracote).

    Just curious. If I do purchase one I probably will never remove it other than to touch up the crown and then immediately reinstall so marking will be moot but I kind of like to have all the info I can
    I fitted it in the white, but did not torque the screws. Based on the measurements I sent, it was machined perfectly, so no issues with the finish on the barrel. I duracoated and re-installed. I used a level to make sure everything was square to the bore and torqued to 40 inlbs. in sequence...center screw first, muzzle end, then chamber end...using blue Loctite on the threads. Ken does recommend if the brake is tight on the initial fit up, to coat the barrel end with blue Loctite as a lubricant, to avoid any finish damage. Mine was absolutely perfect so I omitted this.

    I used a micrometer to take the barrel measurements. He wants the OD at the barrel end, and then another measurement exactly 1.5" from the end. I am traveling on business, but I will post some pics next week when I get home. I am also planning a trip to the range during the holiday break, and I will post a range report on this thread as well.

    regards

    Steve

  9. #8
    Senior Member Deadshot2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    2,334
    Quote Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
    I fitted it in the white, but did not torque the screws. Based on the measurements I sent, it was machined perfectly, so no issues with the finish on the barrel. I duracoated and re-installed. I used a level to make sure everything was square to the bore and torqued to 40 inlbs. in sequence...center screw first, muzzle end, then chamber end...using blue Loctite on the threads. Ken does recommend if the brake is tight on the initial fit up, to coat the barrel end with blue Loctite as a lubricant, to avoid any finish damage. Mine was absolutely perfect so I omitted this.

    I used a micrometer to take the barrel measurements. He wants the OD at the barrel end, and then another measurement exactly 1.5" from the end. I am traveling on business, but I will post some pics next week when I get home. I am also planning a trip to the range during the holiday break, and I will post a range report on this thread as well.

    regards

    Steve
    Appreciate the feedback. I'm going to pull the pin on one right after the first of the year. Too much going on until then. I've looked at a lot of designs out there and this one looks like a lot of thought has gone into it. I can't see buying a Roedale or Kahntrol for way more $$ when the only apparent benefit is "Name" and "cosmetics".

    Thanks again.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    221
    So, got the brake installed and I couldn't be more impressed. POI did change slightly ( 1 o'clock hole), but a few clicks of adjustment and sub MOA @ 100. The difference being the rifle feels like a .223 rather than a .308, and it's nice to watch the bullet strike.






  11. #10
    Senior Member JFComfort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    600
    I'd just have the muzzle threaded.


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. muzzle brake
    By TSwire in forum General Model 700's
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 08:23 AM
  2. REM 700 .308 muzzle brake
    By rcs9250 in forum How To's and Modifications
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 07:09 PM
  3. New guy: Muzzle brake for AAC-SD
    By tc1684 in forum SPS Tactical
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 11:18 AM
  4. New guy: What muzzle brake for AAC SD
    By DMAXCHASE in forum SPS Tactical
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 01:04 AM

Search tags for this page

whitt machine muzzle brakes reviews
,
witt clamp on muzzle brake failure
,

witt machine

,
witt machine clamp on muzzle brake review
,

witt machine muzzle brake

,

witt machine muzzle brake problems

,

witt machine muzzle brake review

,
witt machine muzzle brake reviews
,
witt machine review
,

witt muzzle brake

,

witt muzzle brake review

,

witt muzzle brake reviews

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •