Anyone used Witt Machine Muzzle brake?
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone used Witt Machine Muzzle brake?

This is a Clamp on one. Anyone? Thanks Wayne

http://wittmachine.net/index.php?mai...0smr9s5ql1ek45
    Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308 | 20 MOA EGW Base | Burris Rings | 6x20x56 Springfield Armory Gov Mil-Dot Scope | Archangel Stock w/20 rd Mags | Timney 510 Trigger

nobody has used this?
    Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308 | 20 MOA EGW Base | Burris Rings | 6x20x56 Springfield Armory Gov Mil-Dot Scope | Archangel Stock w/20 rd Mags | Timney 510 Trigger

Kind of hoping someone does chime in with their experiences with this brake. Am thinking seriously on adding one to my .308, not so much because the recoil is excessive, just so I can stay on target easier for following shots.

Pretty good looking piece if you don't mind a large brake out front. Also kind of interested in any comments by people who've experienced any side blast from the Witt itself. Some brakes can be pretty nasty to the shooters on either side in a range environment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Looking at the design it will work. Most good brakes will do what they are made to do. So I would say its more of a preference over how it works. Most of the brakes I have used where are a similar like this brake that is in the link. I do not like the long clamp on the brake though. I can post a link to vide's I have made using such design.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

I just received my order after Thanksgiving. I installed it on my SPS TAC but haven't shot it yet. It fit perfectly. I ordered it in the white and Dura coated it from the rattle can. I spoke with Ken Witt on the phone, he's a real good guy. Don't hesitate to call him up with questions before you order, he will take the time with you.

Quote Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
    I just received my order after Thanksgiving. I installed it on my SPS TAC but haven't shot it yet. It fit perfectly. I ordered it in the white and Dura coated it from the rattle can. I spoke with Ken Witt on the phone, he's a real good guy. Don't hesitate to call him up with questions before you order, he will take the time with you.

Just out of curiosity, did you fit it first then remove to duracoat? I'm interested in how much it might mark up the barrel metal and finish (duracoat/cerracote).

Just curious. If I do purchase one I probably will never remove it other than to touch up the crown and then immediately reinstall so marking will be moot but I kind of like to have all the info I can

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did you fit it first then remove to duracoat? I'm interested in how much it might mark up the barrel metal and finish (duracoat/cerracote).

Just curious. If I do purchase one I probably will never remove it other than to touch up the crown and then immediately reinstall so marking will be moot but I kind of like to have all the info I can
    I fitted it in the white, but did not torque the screws. Based on the measurements I sent, it was machined perfectly, so no issues with the finish on the barrel. I duracoated and re-installed. I used a level to make sure everything was square to the bore and torqued to 40 inlbs. in sequence...center screw first, muzzle end, then chamber end...using blue Loctite on the threads. Ken does recommend if the brake is tight on the initial fit up, to coat the barrel end with blue Loctite as a lubricant, to avoid any finish damage. Mine was absolutely perfect so I omitted this.

I used a micrometer to take the barrel measurements. He wants the OD at the barrel end, and then another measurement exactly 1.5" from the end. I am traveling on business, but I will post some pics next week when I get home. I am also planning a trip to the range during the holiday break, and I will post a range report on this thread as well.

regards

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
    I fitted it in the white, but did not torque the screws. Based on the measurements I sent, it was machined perfectly, so no issues with the finish on the barrel. I duracoated and re-installed. I used a level to make sure everything was square to the bore and torqued to 40 inlbs. in sequence...center screw first, muzzle end, then chamber end...using blue Loctite on the threads. Ken does recommend if the brake is tight on the initial fit up, to coat the barrel end with blue Loctite as a lubricant, to avoid any finish damage. Mine was absolutely perfect so I omitted this.

I used a micrometer to take the barrel measurements. He wants the OD at the barrel end, and then another measurement exactly 1.5" from the end. I am traveling on business, but I will post some pics next week when I get home. I am also planning a trip to the range during the holiday break, and I will post a range report on this thread as well.

regards

Steve
    Appreciate the feedback. I'm going to pull the pin on one right after the first of the year. Too much going on until then. I've looked at a lot of designs out there and this one looks like a lot of thought has gone into it. I can't see buying a Roedale or Kahntrol for way more $$ when the only apparent benefit is "Name" and "cosmetics".

Thanks again.

So, got the brake installed and I couldn't be more impressed. POI did change slightly ( 1 o'clock hole), but a few clicks of adjustment and sub MOA @ 100. The difference being the rifle feels like a .223 rather than a .308, and it's nice to watch the bullet strike.

I'd just have the muzzle threaded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast