Cleaning a brand new 700 SPS AAC-SD

Cleaning a brand new 700 SPS AAC-SD

Hey guys,

I'm completely new to the platform, in fact I just picked up the rifle.

Question before I can put any lead down range.. I use FrogLube on my other guns, should I give her a good cleaning with this prior to firing? I hear that from the factory it might have been treated with some solvents and should really been cleaned prior to first use.

If FrogLube isn't sufficient, any suggestions?

Frog it up with heat and paste. Just make sure you pull the barrel through with a clean cloth before firing. I use Froglube solvent (not de-greaser) thereafter everywhere and like they say....it just works. Froglube is the best product I have ever used in 45 years of shooting.

Just use any solvent to clean it and 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil and STP to lube and you are good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AverageJo View Post
    Just use any solvent to clean it and 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil and STP to lube and you are good to go.

Excellent..I'm new to this platform and just learned something..thanks my man..

Definitely clean it before shooting. If you don't have any cleaning gear go buy a basic kit like those from Hoppe's that are on the store shelves everywhere.

The most important thing is to clean and lube after shooting. WHAT you do it with is less important. Everyone claims to have the "best" product but did anyone ever consider that there are only one or two that have been used for decades while other "magic juices" are no longer available?

When you get right down to it, most cleaning is done by "elbow grease" rather than the solvents. Maybe that's why Hoppe's #9 has been on the market for so many years. If you don't clean often enough then you could have hard carbon buildup as well as copper fouling. Remember what I said about "elbow grease"? For those hard fouling buildups you may need to resort to things like Sweets 7.62 (for copper) and J-B Bore Cleaner for Carbon, but for most other magic formulas, they don't do much more than cost you more money. Take it from someone that shoots well over 5,000 rounds of ammo per year in just my bolt actions and has tried all the "magic sauces". My favorite is still the quart bottle of Hoppe's along with a bottle of Sweets and some J-B Bore cleaner.

BTW, the ony oil I use on any of my Bolt Actions and AR's is what I drain out of the bottles after changing the oil in my truck. Mobil-1 5W-30. One oil change can give me enough leftover oil in the bottles to lube a dozen weapons for a year or more.

I have invested in Mike Lucas Bore Guides and quality cleaning rods to protect all my actions and trigger assemblies from harsher solvents when needed.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post

BTW, the ony oil I use on any of my Bolt Actions and AR's is what I drain out of the bottles after changing the oil in my truck. Mobil-1 5W-30. One oil change can give me enough leftover oil in the bottles to lube a dozen weapons for a year or more.

Lets drink to that!!!

I use Hoppes for oil and cleaner (or motor like DS2 posted ) As for copper cleaner (which should be the only strong cleaner you need to put down the barrel of a rifle) is KG12 which eats copper real fast and does not harm the steel in barrel. I have used a bunch of other stuff... ie Shooters Choice, Sweets 762 and so on but KG12 kicks but and its easy to use. But carbon does have to be cleaned out before running it through a barrel to make the job easier.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

Quote Originally Posted by Winxp_Man View Post
    I use Hoppes for oil and cleaner (or motor like DS2 posted ) As for copper cleaner (which should be the only strong cleaner you need to put down the barrel of a rifle) is KG12 which eats copper real fast and does not harm the steel in barrel. I have used a bunch of other stuff... ie Shooters Choice, Sweets 762 and so on but KG12 kicks but and its easy to use. But carbon does have to be cleaned out before running it through a barrel to make the job easier.
    I recently tried some of the Bore-Tech products. Their "Eliminator" seems to be a great cleaner that doesn't stink up the house . Also like the Chamelion Gel as it indicates what type of fouling is left in the bore. It turns blue for copper and black for Carbon. When clean it stays light gray.

Also tried some C-4 to remove a hard carbon buildup in one of my barrels. Put a Sinclair "Plug" in the chamber and filled the bore with the C-4. Cleaned it out the next day after a really good soak. It too did a great job without stinking up the house.

I was just curious about this product line as I'd heard a lot of good reports on it. Decided to give it a try as I am starting to get lazy. Anything that makes cleaning easier is good for me. I still won't give up on my Hoppe's and Mobil-1. I'll just have to use the Hoppe's out on the back deck and hope the neighbors don't call the cops when they see me cleaning my "Arsenal".