Need Help at 1000 yards
Join Today
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Deadshot2

Thread: Need Help at 1000 yards

Need Help at 1000 yards

I am looking for a little help. I am trying to get my SBS to 1000 yards. I went with 185gr Berger with a BC of 0.560. I thought they would be better than the 175gr because of the better BC. I am going to use RL-17. Any thoughts? Is 175gr better? Any help would be great.

The 175 SMK does fine out to 1k. Now if you want to get creative get the new Sierra 175 TMK bullet. They have a listed BC of .545 and that's at only 2400 fps!!! Also you have to remember what fps you can push certain bullets give you certain BC numbers. So to just read the first BC number I would say is not really accurate. Let's take the 175 SMK. At fps over 1800 and up to 2800 you get .496 BC. Now over 2800 is where you get the .505 BC.

Now the Berger 185 is listed at .560 but what speeds is that listed for??? Berger does not state this info. So I'm willing to bet that you might not get that top end BC with the 185 being that's a pretty heavy bullet for a cartridge that allows only so much powder. (.308 Win) Its why I tell people that for a .308 Win case I would say up to the 178 amax is the heaviest I would shoot personally for long range. Now for short to medium range what ever floats your boat being you will be push most bullets fast enough.

But anyways check out the 175 TMK. I personally just bought a box of 500 and can't wait to try them out.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

One more thing to consider when jumping from 175 gr to 185 gr bullets, especially the Bergers. The 185 gr is longer and may end up displacing powder capacity in a .308. Not a problem with larger capacity cases but since you didn't mention caliber I'll just go with the lowest common denominator.

Berger 185's also come in several flavors. The higher BC you mentioned indicates you might be looking at the VLD's. They're very hard to work with as they have definite need to be loaded to the correct COAL. If you have a factory chamber this could be problematic. Too long a leade and you won't get them far enough out.

Too short and you loose powder capacity.

If you're shooting a .308 I'd strongly recommend that you get the 185 gr hybrid form Berger they call the "Juggernaut". Part tangent ogive, part secant ogive. More forgiving on COAL and in some circumstances can be loaded to magazine length yet still get superior performance.

I've found that either the 175 SMK, 175 Nosler Custom Competition, or 178 gr Hornady A-Max are all I need to reach out to the long ranges. High BC numbers are only a small part of the equation. They usually make a difference as to whether you'll have a supersonic round at 1200 yards or maybe 1400 yards with a .308. At 1K you're usually GTG. for speed so a BC in the high 400's is more than enough.

One thing to consider is not BC alone but how UNIFORM the BC is within the bullet production lot. The ballistic tip on the Hornady A-Max enhances that characteristic and is perhaps the reason so many are using this bullet for LR shooting.

I've been playing with the 185 gr Berger VLD's and find they and RL-17 are a great match.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I will probably never get to shoot out to that range ever (reliably). Sure wish a selection/ballistic of bullets like we have now had been around many years ago-when my health was better. What kind of groups are you guys seeing now-a-days. Just curious. Thanks for you time.
    Last edited by kawzak; 03-09-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks for the info, I bought the "Juggernaut's". I hope they work. I am going to look at the 175gr as well. Maybe load up a few of each and see what happens.

Thanks, I will check out the 175 TMK

Quote Originally Posted by kawzak View Post
    I will probably never get to shoot out to that range ever (reliably). Sure wish a selection/ballistic of bullets like we have now had been around many years ago-when my health was better. What kind of groups are you guys seeing now-a-days. Just curious. Thanks for you time.
    The last outing I was on I think I got about a 4-5" group at 843 or 848 yards can't remember. This was shooting 168 SMK FGMM ammo hahaha!
    I recently went on a shopping spree and bought about 1k bullets for my .308 Win and a few more thousand for my other rifles.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

Quote Originally Posted by Winxp_Man View Post
    I recently went on a shopping spree and bought about 1k bullets for my .308 Win and a few more thousand for my other rifles.

Did the same not long ago. Had to find another place to store them though. Was using the bottom shelf of my reloading bench which takes up one whole wall in an upstairs room but when the last order came in I noticed a crack starting to form at the corner of the room's door. Door started to stick too.

Moved some to other "corners" of the room and the door doesn't stick anymore. Maybe I need to shoot more and lessen the "load".
    Str8shot likes this.

That's funny. Maybe better relocate to a lower "floor" level, where you will be on concrete, then you could load up even more!.
    Last edited by kawzak; 03-10-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kawzak View Post
    That's funny. Maybe better relocate to a lower "floor" level, where you will be on concrete, then you could load up even more!.
    Only ground floor area in my house with concrete is the garage. Too freaking cold in winter and too sweating hot in summer.

Besides, that's where I keep the 50 Cal boxes with loaded, "clipped", and bandoleer'd, ammo for my AR-15's. Amazing that I still have room for a car and truck as well

The upstairs bedroom is great for my loading. Was lucky enough to find a nice large, 4-bedroom house that was near new and a forced sale. Just the wife and I so I get a room for my hobby, my wife gets her own office, and we still have a guest bedroom in case one of he grand kids needs an "overnight".

I do think I might have to build a small block building in the back yard for powder storage though. Am currently right at the limit for powder and primer storage according to the State Fire Marshal's "rules".