other rifles....
Join Today

other rifles....

ive got a yugo sks and a mosin nagant that i traded a glock23 for ...mosin shoots pretty accurate with open sights but sks is all over the place. first pic is mosin 5 rd group at 50 yds
    IMG_0309.jpg

second pic is sks....rounds in bottom left cardboard were aiming bullseye....and rounds in actual target were aiming top right of cardboard....this is ridiculous
    IMG_0308.jpg

anyone else ever have issues like this with an sks??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jarhead4lyfe; 03-15-2015 at 04:35 PM.

The SKS are built pretty loose to begin with. You could have the barrel and chamber checked, as well as the gas system. Not saying this is what happened-but some times previous owners find it fun to shoot clip-after clip-after clip, getting these so hot they lose a lot of accuracy. The 7.62 x 39 ammo surplus is sometimes loaded kinda so-so. I think Wolf is probably closer to a more consistent "surplus" round. Just My opinion. However a new barrel is pretty cheap. let us know what you find.

#1 reason i dont trust old milsurp ammo from other countries....this was first round fired from my mosin..split the case at the shoulder...switched to new monarch ammo and had no further issues..
    IMG_0310.jpg

and was actually stacking rounds with open sights at 50 yds...not bad for a 65 year old rifle

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

What you are seeing is the basic difference between a Bolt action and a Semi. With a bolt action nothing moves other than the trigger/firing pin when you fire it.

With a Semi the action starts to unlock and open before the bullet actually leaves the barrel. This extra movement can affect accuracy greatly. Only the semi's that have been heavily re-worked approach the basic accuracy of a bolt action.

As for the Mosin, it's one of the strangest rifles ever built. Primitive at best. Has fought against itself in two world wars ------ and won each time. The darn thing is sure a "fire breather". Even my wildest hand-loads with slow burning powders don't throw out as much flame as a Mosin.

I'd buy one if I didn't have to buy a separate safe to store it in. Wouldn't want any of it's "Ugly" to rub off on my other rifles

hey deadshot i wonder if i moved the gas button to the grenade position so all gas is passed out barrel instead of back to bolt if that would help with accuracy..and only use it like a single shot

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead4lyfe View Post
    hey deadshot i wonder if i moved the gas button to the grenade position so all gas is passed out barrel instead of back to bolt if that would help with accuracy..and only use it like a single shot
    I haven't done it but I believe it would. I'm considering the build of a single shot only AR-15 with NO gas system. Either use an un-drilled barrel or plug the gas hole and do away with the gas block. Install an actual bolt handle at the front of the BCG. Pull bolt handle back to charge the weapon, fire, then pull handle to eject and re-charge. Will loose the semi-auto feature but will be able to shoot 30 rounds from something more like a regular bolt action without having to change mags. Should be able to lighten it up a little by discarding the buffer. Only need the spring to push the bolt forward and keep it closed.