Magpul Hunter 700
Join Today
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tarster

Thread: Magpul Hunter 700

Magpul Hunter 700

Hello fellow shooters. I treated myself to a Rem. 700 SPS Tac. in .223 for Christmas. I am looking at getting the Magpul Hunter 700. Any pro's or con's? This is going to be my "Critter Gitter" (woodchucks & yotes) and range gun out to +-300 yards. I am not in a position to throw my checkbook at it, but would like to build a relatively accurate gun on a budget.

Thanks in advance for any help and input.
    Tom

Almost ANY stock will be an improvement over the "Gumby" stock that Remington ships with the SPS tac's.

I have no experience with the Magpul but what I've looked at is impressive. I personally use the B&C Medalist "Tactical" A-5. Similar look and construction but it includes an accessory rail on the bottom of the forend. Makes for easy adjustments of sling attachment points and bipod position. Being able to move a bipod forward or back can help greatly in the balance of a firearm. All the way forward for LR shooting and back a ways for critters that may be running across your field of view and require some ability to swing the rifle easily.

The B&C is almost twice the price but has a lot of good, usable, features similar to the Magpul. I think the real differences will be in materials with the B&C being a solid composite "layup" and the Magpul being more of a molded product using parts/pieces from their AR line-up. The Magpul is 3# and the B&C is 5#. That extra 2# translates to a lot of "sturdy" and "recoil absorbing".

Thanks for the info DS2. $500 is a little over budget for me. I would assume all of the B&C stocks are of the same quality, so it would be personal preference as far as which model I would buy. I was looking on their site at one that is more in line with my budget, I think it was the M4 (B&C #1000). Thoughts on that one?

TIA,
    Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Have a look at this recent thread:The Magpul Hunter Stock – Has Anyone Used

Thanks Johnny. Just read through the post and the photos you posted. Looks like a nice setup to me. I think I'll pull the trigger on one.

I think you'll be pleased. I believe you're approaching the release dates for different color options on the Hunter; just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by brctom1 View Post
    Thanks for the info DS2. $500 is a little over budget for me. I would assume all of the B&C stocks are of the same quality, so it would be personal preference as far as which model I would buy. I was looking on their site at one that is more in line with my budget, I think it was the M4 (B&C #1000). Thoughts on that one?

TIA,
    Tom
    You are correct that the B&C stocks are great quality across the line. As to which model, one should pick what fits their style of shooting and personal needs.

I chose the "A-5" because I spend a lot of hours per week "snuggling up" to my stock and that design just fits me and the type of shooting I do. For a rifle that's mainly a "Hunter" with some target shooting, there are lots of lesser cost stocks but you aren't giving up "quality" if you choose from the B&C line. There are other mfr's as well, I just know the B&C line fairly well.
    Last edited by Deadshot2; 01-08-2016 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks you very much Deadshot2 and Johnnypockets for taking the time to give me your insight. Without being able to check out the B&C stocks in person to get a feel for what "fits" me, I am going to go with the Magpul. The cheek riser and pull are adjustable on it so I should be able to make it work for me without too much trouble. Maybe in the future I can find someone or a store that carries B&C so I can check them out in person for fit and feel.

Again, thanks guys for the advice!

Honestly for me the magpul stock because of the mag well add in plus the price is just the best deal for me. I picked one up for my 223 and found out that they have not made a magazine yet for it but I wouldnt imagine they will here shortly. I pulled off the stock and put it on my 308 and it is just a beauty.. no problems with staying on target when I load the bipods, as far the gumby stock.. I was shooting 1.3 in groups out of my 223 with the gumby stock at 200 yards.. so it will shoot just fine with the original stock.. it does shoot better with a better stock but not by that much.

20150728_222316.jpg
    brctom1 likes this.

Does anyone actually know the release dates for the other colors?? Im thinking hard about one of these stocks.. This is rifle is gonna be a moderately priced upgrade from a stock boomstick while I get back into scoped rifle shooting..
    "Do No Harm.... Do KNOW Harm!!!"