floated barrel
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: floated barrel

ok so I just purchased a R700 SPS tactical last thursday and scoped it in at 100 yards. i know my barrel is floated but I was reading some reviews elsewhere about my model and it stated that if you use a bipod on the front swivel stud it will cause the barrel to not be floated anymore (i'm assuming from the weight on it). is there any way to avoid this other than purchasind a different stock

Ya if you modify your stock. I remember reading a forum thread where the guy took bedding compound and filled the foregrip with it. But before all this he put some long metal rod in the foregrip before filling it with bedding compound.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

Quote Originally Posted by Winxp_Man
    Ya if you modify your stock. I remember reading a forum thread where the guy took bedding compound and filled the foregrip with it. But before all this he put some long metal rod in the foregrip before filling it with bedding compound.
    ok i looked up what you were talkin about. is this sort of what it was?
    http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/bedding.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I have a HS stock for sale if you feel the need..

Well thinking of it you are best off buying a new stock. Most bedding compounds will not stick to the stock. And if you get it to stick it will not last long because it will eventually break off the stock because the stock it's self has is not a stiff stock, it moves here and there. You would waste your money more than anything.

Firearm Pimp

thanks yall. i guess i'll just wait until i step into a little more money and get a new stock haha. i still gotta get me a decent scope for it too

I have a Hawke scope on mine and I have a small review here on this forum I think under tactical scopes. I paid 389.00 USD shipped home.

Firearm Pimp

yeah dude thats a pretty tight scope. was that grouping at 100yds? all i've been shooting is the same federal 150gr sp too cause thats all these places sell around here.

Quote Originally Posted by legibson
    ok so I just purchased a R700 SPS tactical last thursday and scoped it in at 100 yards. i know my barrel is floated but I was reading some reviews elsewhere about my model and it stated that if you use a bipod on the front swivel stud it will cause the barrel to not be floated anymore (i'm assuming from the weight on it). is there any way to avoid this other than purchasind a different stock
    The Hogue over molded stock will flex and contact the barrel if you mount a Harris (or similar) bi-pod to either sling swivel. You can relieve the stock in that area by removing it an using a dremel sanding bit. You will eliminate contact, but, that stock is crap.

The best thing to do is stash away a few hundred clams and get yourself an HS Precision, or Bell and Carlson after market set up.

I did, and I'm not sorry at all. I skim bedded the B&C A2 aluminum bedding block and the effect was awesome.

I used the Brownwlls acra glas kit and just followed the instructions. The rifle action is now stress free to the bedding block. the effect on how smooth the bolt runs and the sub .4 MOA accuracy was well worth it.

Do yourself a favor and ditch the factory tupperware......you won't ever look back.:cool:

Quote Originally Posted by legibson
    yeah dude thats a pretty tight scope. was that grouping at 100yds? all i've been shooting is the same federal 150gr sp too cause thats all these places sell around here.
    Ya this is all at 100 yards. I hardly shoot under 100 yards. But that 150 gr sp federal is some really great ammo for what it is and the price. Now in doing just reloads and they are great :D

Firearm Pimp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast