floated barrel
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: floated barrel

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    15
    ok so I just purchased a R700 SPS tactical last thursday and scoped it in at 100 yards. i know my barrel is floated but I was reading some reviews elsewhere about my model and it stated that if you use a bipod on the front swivel stud it will cause the barrel to not be floated anymore (i'm assuming from the weight on it). is there any way to avoid this other than purchasind a different stock

  2. #2
    Senior Member Winxp_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sack-Of-Tomatoes(sacramentoCA)
    Posts
    2,799
    Ya if you modify your stock. I remember reading a forum thread where the guy took bedding compound and filled the foregrip with it. But before all this he put some long metal rod in the foregrip before filling it with bedding compound.
    shoot to kill not wound !

    Firearm Pimp

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Winxp_Man
    Ya if you modify your stock. I remember reading a forum thread where the guy took bedding compound and filled the foregrip with it. But before all this he put some long metal rod in the foregrip before filling it with bedding compound.
    ok i looked up what you were talkin about. is this sort of what it was?
    http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/bedding.html

  4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    121
    I have a HS stock for sale if you feel the need..

  6. #5
    Senior Member Winxp_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sack-Of-Tomatoes(sacramentoCA)
    Posts
    2,799
    Well thinking of it you are best off buying a new stock. Most bedding compounds will not stick to the stock. And if you get it to stick it will not last long because it will eventually break off the stock because the stock it's self has is not a stiff stock, it moves here and there. You would waste your money more than anything.
    shoot to kill not wound !

    Firearm Pimp

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    15
    thanks yall. i guess i'll just wait until i step into a little more money and get a new stock haha. i still gotta get me a decent scope for it too

  8. #7
    Senior Member Winxp_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sack-Of-Tomatoes(sacramentoCA)
    Posts
    2,799
    I have a Hawke scope on mine and I have a small review here on this forum I think under tactical scopes. I paid 389.00 USD shipped home.
    shoot to kill not wound !

    Firearm Pimp

  9. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    15
    yeah dude thats a pretty tight scope. was that grouping at 100yds? all i've been shooting is the same federal 150gr sp too cause thats all these places sell around here.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by legibson
    ok so I just purchased a R700 SPS tactical last thursday and scoped it in at 100 yards. i know my barrel is floated but I was reading some reviews elsewhere about my model and it stated that if you use a bipod on the front swivel stud it will cause the barrel to not be floated anymore (i'm assuming from the weight on it). is there any way to avoid this other than purchasind a different stock
    The Hogue over molded stock will flex and contact the barrel if you mount a Harris (or similar) bi-pod to either sling swivel. You can relieve the stock in that area by removing it an using a dremel sanding bit. You will eliminate contact, but, that stock is crap.

    The best thing to do is stash away a few hundred clams and get yourself an HS Precision, or Bell and Carlson after market set up.

    I did, and I'm not sorry at all. I skim bedded the B&C A2 aluminum bedding block and the effect was awesome.



    I used the Brownwlls acra glas kit and just followed the instructions. The rifle action is now stress free to the bedding block. the effect on how smooth the bolt runs and the sub .4 MOA accuracy was well worth it.






    Do yourself a favor and ditch the factory tupperware......you won't ever look back.:cool:

  11. #10
    Senior Member Winxp_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sack-Of-Tomatoes(sacramentoCA)
    Posts
    2,799
    Quote Originally Posted by legibson
    yeah dude thats a pretty tight scope. was that grouping at 100yds? all i've been shooting is the same federal 150gr sp too cause thats all these places sell around here.
    Ya this is all at 100 yards. I hardly shoot under 100 yards. But that 150 gr sp federal is some really great ammo for what it is and the price. Now in doing just reloads and they are great :D
    shoot to kill not wound !

    Firearm Pimp


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Standard "thin" Barrel on a heavy barrel channeled stock??
    By PapaRey11 in forum How To's and Modifications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Search tags for this page

scope for a remington sps r700 20 barrel

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •