MagPul Hunter 700 After Action Report
Join Today
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Robert_K

Thread: MagPul Hunter 700 After Action Report

MagPul Hunter 700 After Action Report

So a little after shooting report.

First I want to insist that I'm not some professional precision shooter. As a matter of fact I would rate myself on the total opposite end of that spectrum. Most of my training has been defensive training and mainly with a red dot. So to get behind a bolt action and large magnification rifle is all new to me.

Specs: Remington 700 SPS Tactical 16.5" .308
    MagPul Hunter 700 OD Green w/ MagPul Magwell
    Vortex Optics Viper HS 6-24x50 w/ EGW 20MOA Rail, Vortex Medium Rings and caps
    Crux Suppressors Nemesis 30cal Silencer w/ Crux PWS Breke
    Harris Bipod w/ MagPul M-Lok Bipod Mount
    KRG SV Bolt Knob
    Hornady 168gr BTHP Match .308

The MagPul Hunter 700 with the MagPul magwell... I honestly can only compare it to the factory Hogue stock. And for $300 its a great upgrade. It is a very solid stock. Not rubbery like the Hogue. Installation is very easy and give it a DIY level of one out of five.

Using Magpul M-Lok bi-pod made it easy to attach the Harris bi-pod. The foreend is nice but some texture would be beneficial for adding grip whether barehand or gloved.

If you get the magwell as well, the trigger guard is large enough for a gloved hand. I've heard some have to Dremel out the inside of the trigger guard with certain aftermarket triggers. I have found loading and unloading the AICS Mags to be a bit tight. But I'm sure with use it will free up. Same goes for working the bolt. More use will "wear" down the polymer and make everything smooth.

The grip is nice but I would like to see a bit more aggressive texture. I do love the notches to rest you thumbs if you prefer not to wrap your hand around the handle. Again, needs texturing on those thumbs rest.

The stock itself is great. I ended up ordering the medium (.50") and large (.75") cheek riser kit from Magpul as well. I run medium Vortex rings so using the medium cheek riser helps get a better view of my scope. It comes with the small (.25") cheek riser which for those using low and some medium rings will work perfect. I did find today while shooting my cheek sliding on the cheek riser. I think some rubber texture like what Talon Grips offers for the Glock pistols would help. Stippling might be too aggressive on the face.

I ended up getting anywhere from 0.50" to 1.25" groupings at 100yds with Hornady 168gr BTHP Match ammo. Again, I'm not the best shot and I still need a lot of practice.

Overall for $310 (tax/shipped) I think it's a great choice. Maybe some more professional precision shooters will find there are better options. But for the shooter that just wants to plink or hunt, I don't think you'll be upset.

Hope this helps and I'll do my best to answer questions.
    1911ly and Webfoot like this.

[quote] I did find today while shooting my cheek sliding on the cheek riser. I think some rubber texture like what Talon Grips offers for the Glock pistols would help. Stippling might be too aggressive on the face.

A couple suggestions:

1. Grow a beard. The facial hair will help with the rough stippling and your cheek will slide more smoothly. (also gives you that "Operator Look" )

2. Get some 600-800 grit wet/dry sandpaper and using a sanding block, smooth down the area where your cheek will rest and slide. Won't take much to smooth this out and won't harm the looks at all. If you sand from grip notch to recoil pad, from center of comb, down to the lowest part your cheek will contact, the result won't look like "wear", it will look like it was planned. If you want real smooth, just finish with some 1500 grit wet/dry. Use water while sanding to keep the paper from getting loaded with plastic.

On the mags not sliding in or out of the stock, try rubbing some candle wax on the contact points. You can also use the sandpaper I recommended above to smooth the rough edges. A few minutes with the paper on your finger or wrapped on a popsicle stick will make the mags slide in/out with ease. I have the reverse issue with a Magpull magazine fitting into the aluminum magwell on my TAC-21 chassis. I just smoothed out the mag. Call it "accelerated wear-in"

[QUOTE=Deadshot2;36425]
    I did find today while shooting my cheek sliding on the cheek riser. I think some rubber texture like what Talon Grips offers for the Glock pistols would help. Stippling might be too aggressive on the face.

A couple suggestions:

1. Grow a beard. The facial hair will help with the rough stippling and your cheek will slide more smoothly. (also gives you that "Operator Look" )

2. Get some 600-800 grit wet/dry sandpaper and using a sanding block, smooth down the area where your cheek will rest and slide. Won't take much to smooth this out and won't harm the looks at all. If you sand from grip notch to recoil pad, from center of comb, down to the lowest part your cheek will contact, the result won't look like "wear", it will look like it was planned. If you want real smooth, just finish with some 1500 grit wet/dry. Use water while sanding to keep the paper from getting loaded with plastic.

On the mags not sliding in or out of the stock, try rubbing some candle wax on the contact points. You can also use the sandpaper I recommended above to smooth the rough edges. A few minutes with the paper on your finger or wrapped on a popsicle stick will make the mags slide in/out with ease. I have the reverse issue with a Magpull magazine fitting into the aluminum magwell on my TAC-21 chassis. I just smoothed out the mag. Call it "accelerated wear-in"
    Full-time firefighter. Can't grow a beard. Not only part of our dress and appearance SOPs but our facemark wouldn't get a seal.

Thanks for the other ideas.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=Robert_K;36433]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post

Full-time firefighter. Can't grow a beard. Not only part of our dress and appearance SOPs but our facemark wouldn't get a seal.

Thanks for the other ideas.
    Got it on the beard part. My Son-In-Law is a full time firefighter for Boeing Aircraft. Talk about a "No WorK" job. When a new plane undergoes taxi tests he has to sit in the truck alongside the runway. Every once in a while it's his turn to 'put on the suit' which can be a little uncomfortable but the rest of the time he just sits there 'texting'.

He too is a 'gun nut' just like your's truly but is totally incompetent with a screwdriver so he calls me to bail him out.

BTW, the 'grow the beard' was just a little humor

Thank you Robert K for posting this. I just picked up a 700 SPS and have been looking at the Magpul stock.

I've fitted one to my 308 and love it.
    The only problem I've found was when fitting the stock was the mounting screws from my blind magazine variant rifle were too short to get enough threads into the receiver.
    I've had the counter sunk screw blocks in the stock machined down slightly but I intend to order a longer screw set from Remington.
    Has anyone glass bedded their Hunter stock yet or is it even worth doing? I'm in the process of setting mine up to hit a 12" target at 1000 meters or as close to that as I can get.

I agree with most of what Deadshot is recommending except the wax for the mag insertions. Try armor all on the outside of the magazine body, I put a coating of it on the inside of my kydex holsters like the Blackhawk or Blade-Tech type for a smooth draw. Also put to good use on polymer Glock mags that tend to hang up. Spray it on and wipe off just like your car.
    The tree of liberty should be refreshed from time to time with the blood of tyrrants.

Everything is working great. Probably have close to 140-160rds through the rifle now. Getting sub ½" groupings with Hornady 168gr BTHP Match ammo. And sub 1" groupings with various other rounds.
    “A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.” ~Theodore Roosevelt