Crazy Hunting stories ............ everyone is invited to tell
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Who ever wants to post some of there crazy hunting stories that they have been through or know family that have been..........

I will start with two of mine :D

This is not my story but my fathers. He came here from Romania. This adventure took place there. It was one winter when my father and his older brother went out to hunt European boar. Now these beasts get to be some big animals with no mercy. Well after a hour or two of walking my father spots a Boar about 50 yards away from them. He then takes aim and shoots and bam head shot ( this was with a shotgun slug in commi countries no rifles were allowed to the common people) . My father told me that the boar was in the squatting position and it just buckled. As my father and uncle are walking towards the boar this thing gets up out of no where and starts to run towards them and he said the damn beast was pretty pissed off. The only thing they were able to do is climb up some big trees. They got stuck there for about 45 minutes -1 hour. finally after the boar was done being pissed it finally left. Now they climb down with caution and go to the spot were the boar buckled and they found the slug flattened and were the boar was squatting there was a dead fresh born piglet. He was telling me if he only knew what was going on he would of never taken that shot.

As for me the only crazy thing I have done was in North Carolina. I got to hunt at the land where my ex girlfriends parents live. It was towards the evening and I got out with a 30-30 her brother let me use. I'm heading out about 1/4 mile away from the house and sit in the woods. Well out there its either sex. So out come two does one was slightly lager than the other so I watch them come down to the stream and then lose sight of them. Now I guessed they only had one way to leave and for me not to see them. So as I'm looking for about 10-15 minutes I for sure thought that they left the way I cant spot them. That was until I turn my head and bammm right behind me. That was for the first time in my life when I witnessed how sneaky deer can get when the leafs in the forest floor are damp. It was just a miracle that I turned my head. So I take aim at the smaller one and booommm she does down without a kick. Ok to explain why I took the small one I was alone and had thought of how to get the doe out by myself. So I called my ex's brother and asked how long it will take him to get to me and it was about an hour time which I didnt want to wait. So I grabbed the 60-80 pound doe on my back and with the 30-30 in my right hand I start walking back the 1/4 mile to the house. In all this I even had to cross a creek and a hill not fun at all So finally I get to the house and started to tie the doe up for skinning and my ex girlfriends dad come home surprised at what I got out of his back yard basically hehe Then looks at my back and starts laughing and saying I look like a serial killer because of all the blood that was on my back. This was my one man adventure not to special but a little crazy carrying the doe on my back for the distance and blood everywhere :D
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

My old Buddy Red Martin and I were calling Coyotes up in Kane Springs out side Las Vegas. It was early morning when we started and getting close to noon when we got to the spot where we would make our final stand. Red had on his brand new Down jacket his wife had bought for his birthday and once the sun started to get high in the sky he decided to take it off and lay it on the ground next to him. We had opened a can of sardines and poured the oil on our boots when we walked into the stand, then tossed the sardines around the area to help kill out scent.

We got settled in and I began to play on the dying rabbit call. Within a few minutes, a small bobcat came creeping through the sage and Red alerted me with the squeaker. We were sitting back to back so I couldn't see what was going on.

The cat came right up to Red's boots and was sniffing the sardine oil. Red decided that the bobcat would make a great live trophy so he grabbed his jacket and used it to cover the bobcat. The fight was on. When I heard the commotion, I jumped to my feet and saw Red and the bobcat rolling around on the ground with goose feathers flying every where. In less time than it take to tell, the Bobcat was in high gear headed to Reno and Red was sitting on the ground holding a few scraps of cloth and surrounded by goose down.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrschmitt
    My old Buddy Red Martin and I were calling Coyotes up in Kane Springs out side Las Vegas. It was early morning when we started and getting close to noon when we got to the spot where we would make our final stand. Red had on his brand new Down jacket his wife had bought for his birthday and once the sun started to get high in the sky he decided to take it off and lay it on the ground next to him. We had opened a can of sardines and poured the oil on our boots when we walked into the stand, then tossed the sardines around the area to help kill out scent.

We got settled in and I began to play on the dying rabbit call. Within a few minutes, a small bobcat came creeping through the sage and Red alerted me with the squeaker. We were sitting back to back so I couldn't see what was going on.

The cat came right up to Red's boots and was sniffing the sardine oil. Red decided that the bobcat would make a great live trophy so he grabbed his jacket and used it to cover the bobcat. The fight was on. When I heard the commotion, I jumped to my feet and saw Red and the bobcat rolling around on the ground with goose feathers flying every where. In less time than it take to tell, the Bobcat was in high gear headed to Reno and Red was sitting on the ground holding a few scraps of cloth and surrounded by goose down.
    I dont care who you are, thats some funny shit right there! LMAO!!!
    BATTLE BORN SHOOTERS http://battlebornshooters.boards.net/- Nevada\'s Newest Shooting Forums!

\"In a man to man fight the winner is the one who puts an extra round in his magazine\"
    -Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

A friend from years back told the story of a deer hunt. He had been in his deer stand when he spotted a fine deer with a Large rack. He made his shot and climbded down from his stand. He approached the deer and all seemed fine. He stood admiring the deer and began to imagine it hanging over his fireplace with his deer rifle in the antlers. So, he walked up to the deer, set his rifle in the rack, stepped back to admire what was soon to be over his fireplace, when the deer jumped up and ran away with his rifle......never to be found. He swears this is true. I don't think I would have told anyone.

Some classic stories hahahaha !!! Nice. They gave me a good laugh!

Firearm Pimp

Ok. There's a place in NC called Pungo. It's federal land or something and it's in 2 or 3 different counties. Anyway, you apply for a permit to hunt it and they notify you by mail if they draw your number. I got drawn back in '95 or '96, I don't know, for a 3 day hunt in September. Lucky me, right...WRONG. I go with 2 other guys. It's a shotgun only zone and it's full of these little canals and bears. It's also full of some of the strangest people I've ever seen. There are very few trees, very thick areas, very barren areas and "hunters" who have obviously made this little pilgrimage before. You get to go in the day before the "big hunt" to scout, set up or whatever. Our set-up wound up being like a lot of other people's; a 5 gallon bucket to sit on along a dirt road. No motor vehicles allowed are in, so, there were guys on bicycles with homemade trailers hauling every conceivable type of treestand you can imagine. The next day there was someone in every tree out there. It was cold in the morning, hot during the day and the flies and mosquitos were big enough to put saddles on. I'm a veteran and have spent time in some pretty adverse conditions and spend most of my time outdoors year round but this place was just plain different.

One morning one of the guys that invited me to go, was looking at something on the ground in front of him and said something like, "What's a pheasant feather doing around here?" I walked up looked down then backed up. Pheasant feather...no. A very straight and cold timber rattler...yes. I was also lucky enough to watch 8 grown men with firearms climb into one of those little fiberglass 8 foot Bass Hunter boats and float themselves across a canal. The top of the boat was literally an inch or two out of the water. A fart, sneeze or cough from any one of those fellas and it would have been all over except for the cryin'. I couldn't take my eyes off of them until they got across. They made it.

When it came to the bears, I remember one of the Ranger's exact words, "If you shoot a bear out here, you better have claw marks on your ass or you'll go to jail". I recalled these words as I was standing alongside the road and I heard something in the brush behind me. I turned and saw a pretty good size bear emerge, cross the road and swim the canal on the other side and disappear. Apparently these bears travel in pairs because when the second one came out and stood up about 25 feet from me I was getting ready to claw my own ass (jail was also an option). I'm 5'10" and it was pretty close to that. It too, crossed the road, swam the canal and was gone.

Anyway, people were everywhere. They were still-hunting, driving, stalking, walking and anything else you could think of, all at the same time. God forbid if someone spotted a deer because they were launching lead everywhere. The guys that invited me were sitting on buckets along the road while I was standing on the edge of the "woods" just taking it all in. All of a sudden people are yelling, guns are blazing and a 6 point buck comes running over the crest of the hill in the middle of the dirt road. He was panting and his tongue was hanging out of his mouth. He ran straight to one of the men I was there with, who leveled his shotgun while still sitting on the bucket and squeezed one off. The shot cup hit the deer in the chest along with the buckshot. It was magical. He was pretty close and for this reason I believe it was suicide on the deer's part, it seems he just wanted it "over with". We took ol' boy's prize to the check-in station. As I was standing there a man in a pick-up pulls in and asks if this is where you check-in. I said "Yes" and he reaches into the bed of the truck with one hand and pulls out a deer by the back legs, I mean he lifted it over the tailgate. It was either a deer or a big chihuahua dog.

We bring our "prize" back to the motel. It's field dressed, but that's all. It needs to be skinned and cut up, so what do we do? If you haven't guessed, I'll tell you. We clean the tub, fill it full of ice and go to work. By now, alcohol is involved and the manager was probably wondering "Why so many trips to the ice machine?" By the time we finished, the white tile bathroom looked like a crime scene. Of course, we cleaned up. These are just the highlights of that little expedition. I got invited back the next year but I already had "other" plans and respectfully declined. You can't make this stuff up. In case your wondering.... NO, I didn't take any of the meat.

For a sec I thought I was reading a Spec Ops mission report :D :D :D :D :D :D :D hahahaha nice!!! :D

Firearm Pimp

Another "Me & Red" tale.

After my first trip to Viet Nam, I got stationed at the Weapons storage site up behind Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. Red was still in the Corp and I was a Gunners mate in the Navy. We went back up to Kane Springs out side Las Vegas to spend a week shooting jacks and calling coyotes.

We drove up a side canyon and came to a small mine shaft. There was a canvas lean-to and a box covered with a tarp. Red was going to pull the tarp off the box when I had a brain storm. The box was full of rattle snakes and we should fill it with bullet holes first. Red, being the smarter of the two, said that would just ruin what ever was in the box. He found a stick and gently lifted the tarp off the box.

There were about 40 sticks of gelatinite leaking nitro in the box. One shot would have set us in orbit.

Now the dilemma, Do we leave it there for some kids to find who would probably blow themselves up or do we take it to the base for proper disposal or do we blow it in place? None of those sounded like the fun thing to do, so we took option four.

We packed a few sticks into a ground squirrel hole and when the little squirrel came out to see what was going on, we fired it off with a round from my .243.

That was fun so we packed 10 sticks at a time in the holes and waited for the critters.

One of the most "FUN" days I have spent in the wilds.

There I was 20 feet up a tree hunting public land as the sun came up. No wind, just the cold end of November day in Wisconsin. I was on the edge of a large grass area with forest on two sides.

About an hour or so after sun rise the first of ten trucks pull into the area I was hunting. The army of hunters in blaze orange organize and the deer drive is on. The group drive the wooded area to my east, from east to west so the drive is in my direction. After an hour, only one shot heard the 30 or so hunters gather and leave.

About 40 minutes after the first hunting party leaves a second party takes their place but drive the same woods from south to north, one shot heard.

About an hour after the second hunting party leaves a third group shows up and drives the the same woods from east to west. In the mean time a group of guys show up and park between the woods and me, just out of my sight but I can hear them clearly telling jokes and banging around in the bed of the truck.

frustrated and thinking if there were any deer in the area they'd been shot by the first two groups or chased out of the area earlier. I climbed down and packed my hunting gear in my truck.

I drove no more than 150 feet when I heard a very loud and close gun report. As I heard this I passed a mound and was looking at a young teen pointing a rifle at me about 30 yards away. At the same time a perfect heavy horned 10 pt buck jumped the road in front of my truck about 5 feet away. One way to get grilled venison I suppose.

A lot just happened and I didn't feel anything but I needed to make sure I didn't have any leaks in my body from a bullet. Once I realized I was intact I got out to check my new truck. No holes in the truck.

I looked back at the hunter just as dad, or uncle, or big brother, or whoever kicked the kid in the hind end lifting him off the ground. I didn't need to get involved there as I suspect the kid was done hunting that day and learned a lesson.

I turned to watch the 10 pt buck no one shot run to the base of the tree I just descended ten minutes earlier and stop.

The first time I ever went hunting was for pheasant my sophomore year of high school. I didn't have any guns at that point, borrowed my friend's spare 20 ga o/u. Had a lot of fun, basically didn't see anything for most of the day, but around late afternoon started getting lucky...and not just me, everyone in our group was dropping birds.

I walked around a tree and scared a bunch of them up, only to then notice my friend pointing his shotgun directly at the birds...and me. I had one of those OH NO moments and he actually pulled the trigger (!) but someone must have been looking out for me because he hadn't reloaded. He didn't mean it, but he freaked out and became physically ill...since then he moved out of state and I lost contact, but I am pretty sure he never hunted again after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast