.308 for coyote?
Join Today

is my .308 overkill for coyote? i've been using it for about 5 years now and ive noticed that the prices i get for my furs suck lol. last year i used my .17hmr and i got alot more money out of my furs but it wasnt as much fun hunting with it as my .308. of course i know alot of my fur damage is due to using 150gr. nosler ballistic tips, is there a better bullet to load with to keep damage down but still ensure a clean kill?
    remington 700 adl synthetic .308
    savage model 93 .17hmr
    savage mark2 .17hm2
    remigton 870 20 gauge aka ole\' faithful

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood88
    is my .308 overkill for coyote? i've been using it for about 5 years now and ive noticed that the prices i get for my furs suck lol. last year i used my .17hmr and i got alot more money out of my furs but it wasnt as much fun hunting with it as my .308. of course i know alot of my fur damage is due to using 150gr. nosler ballistic tips, is there a better bullet to load with to keep damage down but still ensure a clean kill?
    .308 isn't overkill. What you have is a Nosler ballistic tip bullet traveling at a pretty fair clip and may expand too rapidly causing more damage to the pelt then you want. If you reload may I suggest a slightly heavier bullet like a Sierra GameKing 165 spitzer point boat tail. Depending on distance if you load it on the lighter side it has a better rate of expansion and less damage to your pelt. If you maintain 1500 FPS to target this bullet is supposed to perform properly. If your harvesting its better to have a less dramatic kill then to see parts flying for fur sake!
    \"Embrace the suck!\"

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 & 870 Express Noveske N4 AR-15 Ruger 10/22T
    Ruger .357 Blackhawk Ruger .22 single six 3 screw Glock 21 .45

parts flying is an understatement. shot two yotes last weekend. first one was a head shot at 276 yards needless to say there wasnt much left of the head. the second one was 150 yards quartering away running after my buddy shot over him, i dropped it full run but the problem was my bullet exited out the front right shoulder almost taking the leg off. im half tempted to switch to a full metal jacket boattail and stick with head shots.im still trying to figure out how my buddy missed his shot at 90 yards broadside, it was a perfect opportunity.
    remington 700 adl synthetic .308
    savage model 93 .17hmr
    savage mark2 .17hm2
    remigton 870 20 gauge aka ole\' faithful