"Cheap" factory stock on milspec 5R
Join Today

"Cheap" factory stock on milspec 5R

Hi all. Newb to the site, long time rifleman, kind of a newb to the 700.
    So I got what I'll call a "gen 1" 5R milspec special with a "S" serial # prefix, manufactured in 2002 according to a factory rep. I have two questions I am hoping you more experienced folks can help with:

1. Did these come with a 40X trigger ? The factory guy said it very well could be but they don't have records. Is there a way to tell?

2. I want to use one of the inexpensive plastic factory stocks on this one - for reasons I won't bore you with - so how bad would I be "shooting myself in the foot" in terms of performance ? I will be really happy with 1moa as long as the groups don't wander around. Remington put an awful lot of those stocks on various heavy Bbl. "tack drivers" so I'm wondering how bad could they be ?

Thanks for your time, Stan

I bought a 5r .308 in 2005 it did not have a 40x trigger, I installed a Timney. It came with a HS precision stock which I really like.
    Other 700’s I’ve purchased have had the (cheap houge stocks) and in my opinion are total pieces of crap.
    They were replaced by Bell & Carlson m40 and Alaskan stocks with good results.

Even with the plastic stocks on the ADL’s the rifles are usually 1 moa or better.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Freefloat View Post
    I bought a 5r .308 in 2005 it did not have a 40x trigger, I installed a Timney. It came with a HS precision stock which I really like.
    Other 700’s I’ve purchased have had the (cheap houge stocks) and in my opinion are total pieces of crap.
    They were replaced by Bell & Carlson m40 and Alaskan stocks with good results.
    Yeah, I know what you mean about some of those stocks - and I'm usually the last guy you'd see at the range with something like that. Mine came with the HS Precision also but does not fit well because the trigger pin holes in the receiver were drilled pretty far off "true". The cheap stocks fit (for all the reasons that make them "total pieces of crap"). I've had this rifle stashed sitting NIB for 15 years and figure it's past time to start enjoying it. Guess the thing to do is start shooting and see what results - go from there as to a next course of action. Anyway, Thank you for your time, Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    Even with the plastic stocks on the ADL’s the rifles are usually 1 moa or better.
    That's kinda what I'm hoping for with this rifle. 1moa will do me fine as long as the 1moa stays in the same POI all the time. I understand these rifles can do a lot better when fed enough Love and Money. Just need to start shooting and see what kind of "Love" she's got the way she sits now. Thank you for your time - Stan

What they usually need the most is Hand Loads correctly developed for them.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    What they usually need the most is Hand Loads correctly developed for them.
    Definitely.

I actually had better luck with the hard plastic on the ADL Varmint than I did with the Hogue oversold on my SPS Tactical. The fore end on the Hogue was so flimsy that with a bipod it would sometimes deflect enough to touch the barrel and sometimes not.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill