I need help upgrading my 700P in 338 Lapua
Join Today

Cheers all. I just stumbled across this forum and much to my amazement, my work firewall doesnt block it so I am trying to get some suggestions on upgrades for my 700P MLR / 338 Lapua.

I am interested in upgrading the following but I am definately open to other recommendations.

Muzzle device:
    I have the understanding that the stock muzzle device has to be heated and broken free by sticking a screwdriver through the port holes?? This may be a more primitive way of removing it but it is one of the ways I have seen others remove it???
    I am looking at replacing it with the Surefire MB338SS but I need to confirm which model and which thread pitch??

Stock/ Chassis :
    I have grown attached to the idea of utilizing one of McRees offerings but I am open to other suggestions.
    I am really likeing the G5 TMAG Carbine which will allow the use of an AR15 receiver extension, stock and grip.

Bolt: Looking for an upgrade to the stock one. I am open to suggestions.

Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Black, I have the same rifle, when I first got it, after three rounds in the prone it would start excavating. I put the Badger Ordnance FTE brake on mine. The stock I left, it fits me pretty good, I also put the Tacops bolt handle on mine. If youre handy with tools m its pretty easy to do. The brake is a major pain to get off, I let the gunsmith do it, he had to turn the barrel a little for the FTE anyway. This is the rifle that got me into the Lapua, now I have a Accuracy International AW also. The 700 will shoot right alongside it all day. Mine has the Warne 20 mil base on it , drilled out to take the 8-40 screws, and a Leupold MK 4 TMR Illuminated reticle, 8 to 25.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman0714
    Black, I have the same rifle, when I first got it, after three rounds in the prone it would start excavating. I put the Badger Ordnance FTE brake on mine. The stock I left, it fits me pretty good, I also put the Tacops bolt handle on mine. If youre handy with tools m its pretty easy to do. The brake is a major pain to get off, I let the gunsmith do it, he had to turn the barrel a little for the FTE anyway. This is the rifle that got me into the Lapua, now I have a Accuracy International AW also. The 700 will shoot right alongside it all day. Mine has the Warne 20 mil base on it , drilled out to take the 8-40 screws, and a Leupold MK 4 TMR Illuminated reticle, 8 to 25.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have heard allot of good things about the Badger FTE over on Snipers Hide. I have heard the brake is a PITA to get off.
    I am looking at the TAC-OPS bolt knob as well although I did stumble across a drop-in bolt upgrade from Superior Shooting Systems(David Tubb) called the "precision high performance remington 700 bolt". They make a right or left hand,long action bolt with the Lapua bolt face.
    Like you, the 700 introduced me to the Lapua and allowed me to graduate to 1000k yards with crappy optics, so I know in its current stock configuration that it can out shoot most people that sit behind it, including myself. With that said, the rifle doesnt really "need" anything accept a good scope and a competent shooter but I have an itch to invest a little in its longevity since this rifle is going to be passed on to my child one day.
    I did get the same Warne base you mentioned.
    Thanks again for the reply, keep em coming.

SALUS

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Whats your reload for it? I actually still have some of the original Hornady brass I bought with the rifle. I took the plunge and got 250 Lapua cases. I found both my rifles shoot the same reload well. I use 250 gr Lapua lockbase, I found 4 500 bullet boxes at a gun show for cheap and settled on 88 grains of H4831 SC, with the FED 215M primers. The Sierra Match king is another good one. The hornady brass tended to stretch quite a bit, I think it was kinda soft, but it was cheaper, and easier to get at the time. The two of them will eat up a 8 pound can of 4831 in a short period of time. I experimented with the 300 gr match kings, and found that the 250's out shot them in my rifles