What is the difference between a military ribbon and a military medal
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What is the difference between a military ribbon and a military medal

For example, there is a Good Conduct Ribbon and also a Good Conduct Medal. If a soldier is given a Good Conduct Ribbon as an award, does it also give him a Good Conduct Medal as a decoration?

Quote Originally Posted by sheltonbenjamin
    For example, there is a Good Conduct Ribbon and also a Good Conduct Medal. If a soldier is given a Good Conduct Ribbon as an award, does it also give him a Good Conduct Medal as a decoration?

One is a Ribbon, the other is simply that, a Medal. Ribbon(s) are displayed when wearing either Class A or Class B Dress Uniforms. Army class A Dress Uniforms include the Dress Jacket on which the ribbons are displayed, a Class B Uniform is the Dress uniform minus the jacket and the Ribbons are worn on the dress shirt, normally a short sleeve dress shirt. The Medals are worn when wearing the Dress Blue Uniform. Most Ribbons when awarded include the Medal along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sheltonbenjamin

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

im pretty sure this guy is spam guys

Quote Originally Posted by REM700FSTF
    im pretty sure this guy is spam guys
    Sounds like someone who's looking to get a Stolen Valor charge on their record.

Asking about the difference between medals and ribbons and then asking how to get dog tags for her "boyfriend"? Sounds all a little fishy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomVet
    One is a Ribbon, the other is simply that, a Medal. Ribbon(s) are displayed when wearing either Class A or Class B Dress Uniforms. Army class A Dress Uniforms include the Dress Jacket on which the ribbons are displayed, a Class B Uniform is the Dress uniform minus the jacket and the Ribbons are worn on the dress shirt, normally a short sleeve dress shirt. The Medals are worn when wearing the Dress Blue Uniform. Most Ribbons when awarded include the Medal along with it.

Dress a short sleeve dress shirt. :D

The ribbon is a representation of the medal. We are awarded the medal. In a Dress-Mess uniform we can wear the full award with the long ribbon hanging with the medal on the end. If we are wearing our class-a's or class-b's we wear just the little ribbon's in rows of three.
    unclesarge58 and Sebastiaan like this.

updated

Coincidentally I forgot to mention, so the ribbon (small) can be worn as a representation of the medal, but coincidentally we can wear two deferent versions of the medal. There is a shorter/smaller ribbon with medal affixed to the end and a larger/longer ribbon with medal affixed to the end.
    Sebastiaan likes this.

1+ on the Stolen Valor item. Any real GI or spouse would know or could get help from the real source, not this forum.

Sort of an off-topic comment but still somewhat related is that of Medal Proliferation.

Anyone have an idea of how many medals are now awarded for basically "just showing up"?

Were it up to me there would only be medals for Valor along with the Purple Heart. But then what would all those Generals and Admirals do with all that empty space on the left breast of their dress uniforms?

It's my personal belief that the proliferation of medals has essentially cheapened them to a point. Keep the special insignia that's been earned through special training or combat but why do we need "national defense medals" for example. Isn't that a role we all played when we put on the uniform?

I may be in the minority on this but to me (a Vietnam Vet) the way medals are handed out for other than valor is getting to be like trophies in little league sports and the Boy Scout badges.

Look at the Bronze Star for example. Here's a telling article. Up to 2007 68000 were awarded in Iraq and Afghanistan. Look at the bottom of the article, at the ration of bronze stars to deaths by service. Seems that the Air Force hands out a lot.

Oft-awarded Bronze Star’s significance suffers, some say

Hey, call me crazy but I still salute MOH recipients when I encounter one. Have several living recipients living around me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast