New member, new rifle
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New member, new rifle

Exclamation New member, new rifle

Hey guys,

new to the forum and excited to learn. I've been around firearms my entire life but growing up in Illinois where i can only hunt with slugs, bolt guns (espically larger calibers) were toys and unneeded. The only bolt gun i had any significant experience with was my fathers old Winchester 30-06. I've built AR15s glocks and all sorts of shotguns and decided that now that I'm in school out in Wyoming i have an excuse for a good 30 cal rife. I first began looking at the more budget rifles like the Ruger american, mossberg patriot, and remington 787. They all seemed good for what they were, but I've never built a half ass firearm and decided now wasnt the time to start. As the 700s are legendary i decided what better place to start.

While i was initially looking for a .308 or .30-06 base rifle i stumbled upon a Remington 700 XCR Long Range Tactical 26" .300 Win Mag barreled action with the adjustable trigger. The bolt had been fluted with a threaded handle and a precisoion arms m4-72 comp and 20 MOA rail installed. I picked it all up for $400.

My plans so far are to throw the Magpul stock and magwell kit on this rifle and then look for a decent piece of glass. I have the magpul stock on my Mossberg 500 and love it so im pretty set on that (BTW anyone looking to offload a LA Magpul stock or magnum mag kit DM me). However, I am lookin for opinions on glass... I have a Nikon P223 on my primary AR and its my favorite. incredibly clear and i love the bdc. So Im looking into the buckmaster series for the .300WM. any other suggestions?

I'm excited to further build this rifle and will turn to this forum many times i am sure.
    Last edited by farmhanddunc; 04-24-2017 at 01:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add caliber. .300 Win Mag

Welcome, So what caliber is that in? I have owned about every brand of scope that there is. First order of business is what kind of shooting are you planning on doing at what yardage. If weight is not an issues as in making a class weight, then you have all kinds of options. I am partial to Nightforce and Sightron Glass, but have had March and other high end scopes. A lot will depend on your budget.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

.300 Win Mag sorry for that

I don't compete so weight is not a problem. This gun will be for hunting deer elk and cats as well as target. Zeroed for 100-200 meters. Most shots will be inside 350m but I would like to be able to reach out into the 700m mark if needed on a hunt and to continue to develop my skills as a shooter. For all the more this rifle will be used I would like to keep the scope price around $250.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

OK, Forget the ones I mentioned. There are very few inexpensive scopes that will fit the bill as far as amount of latitude in changing from 100 yard point of impact to 700 yard. Again, what caliber? I do not even like adjusting way beyond mid-range on my scopes, so I have a couple of Change Scope Rifles with 0 MOA bases and with standard rings for 100-300 or so yards and then with 25 MOA rings for 500 yards out.

I don't hunt but for target acquisition and then shots out to that yardage, I would only use a variable of at least 6x24 or more. I will let someone else comment on decent scopes in the $250.00 price range.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

its chambered in .300 Win Mag

All the more reason to have a good scope that will be OK with the recoil.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    I will let someone else comment on decent scopes in the $250.00 price range.

Bob
    I have had some great results with house branded scopes from Cabela's. Keep your eyes open for a clearance model that they've lowered the price into the $250 range. I have two scopes I picked up from them, one made by Meopta and another supposedly made by Leupold, with the Cabela's brand on them. Both were right on the $250 price point with nice clear glass, crisp reticles, and tracked decently.

The only downside is that you have to keep watching Cabela's website to look for the "deals" and perhaps settle for a different reticle than you had your mind on.

BTW, same for other online retailers like Optic's Planet, etc. Look for the sales around "New Model" time.

And write a review of a past purchase on OpticsPlanet and get a 7% off coupon that they honor on anything not on closeout.
    Robert Kittine

Sounds like a pretty good deal at $400.I own 3 Burris full field 2's 4.5x14x42 with bdc reticles oa they are my under $300. Go to scope.The last one I got last year I payed $230 for with free shipping online I've had great performance from these scopes.

anyone have any experience with the Nikon Buckmasters?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast