Are we Dinosaurs? or The Death of the Bolt Action Rifle (Ode to Good Bye (Again)
Join Today

Are we Dinosaurs? or The Death of the Bolt Action Rifle (Ode to Good Bye (Again))

After reading Bob and Freefloat's last posts I began to think about how the shooting world has changed in the last 11 years since I became re-involved. I belong to a private range and back then most of the rifles that were on the range were bolt action with an AR or AK showing up once in a while. When I did my rifle qualification back then a lot, really almost all of the younger people were showing up with AR's, Mini14's, or AK's or SKS's. Nowadays, as an RSO as I look down the firing line I see mostly AR's or the new rage of Precision bolt action rifles. Along with this trend I see more factory ammunition used especially in the semiauto 556's and 7.62x39's.

There used to be a lot of discussions on upgrading rifles with new stocks, trueing lugs, freefloating barrels, and even upgrading triggers, but now the the upgrading guide seems to be the Magpul catalog.

When I saw Winxp_Man's post it brought back memories of my first days of reloading and how much his information helped me. I was reloading 308 and the brass variations were giving me fits and his posts helped clear up all the misinformation I was getting and gave me specific data related to the brass. Load development was a much discussed subject as were the various methods. It seems to me in the forums where hand loading is discussed today the trend is to seek "the load" without putting in the time to actually develop a load for a shooters specific rifle.

Seven or eight years ago on the practical riflery forum we had a discussion on the staying power of the 308. At that time the newer 6.5's were popping up but the 308 was still the preferred cartridge. Can't say I've seen many new 308's, 30-06's, or even 270's show up recently. Oh, there was A Garand! History buff!

Forums reflect the trends and the popular culture of society in general and also specific topics. I think in the case of this forum the trends have probably moved on and left us as a dying breed to waste away among the ads.
    Last edited by Doom; 06-12-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

You might be on to something Doom. I do find that the public ranges are over run with ARs and AR type "Black" rifles, but go to any Bench Rest Club and you will still see young and old guys AND gals, shooting bolt action rifles with loads made Exactly for the specific rifle. I stopped going to public ranges a long time ago.

I still shooting Short Range BR with a 6PPC
    A 30 BR for Score short range and 300 yards,
    A 6BR for 600
    A .308 Palma and a 6.5x47 Lapua for 800/1,000
    And they are all Bolt Action Custom Rifles, all with loads specifically tuned for each individual rifle.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Where I shoot the younger crowd show up with AR’s and AK’s and saturate their targets rapidly,and drive off ,they just blast the targets anywhere from 50-100 yards.They really don’t care about real accuracy if it fits in the 12 inch target it’s good enough for them, Really all they do is waste ammo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

We still see some younger, at least relative to my 67 years, bolt gun shooters for some of the matches we host but many of the youth today are starting out on 10/22’s, and almost all of the 20 somethings show up with semiautomatics.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

I started out with a single shot .22 rim fire,My Dad wanted me to manually load the rifle so I would always know if there was a round in the chamber.
    When I passed all his safety test,he would let me use a semi auto.
    I’ve introduced a few Youths to shooting and used the same formula.

I started out with a .22 Target Rifle with Peep sites and still have all the medals and patches from the program. I was lucky to grow up in walking distance of an IBM Country Club (My dad was with them from right after WWII until he retired) and there I learned to shoot, got my Ham Radio License, learned to play gold and how to develop and print my own photos all for $3.65 PER YEAR!

I good 10/22 can be a fine starting target rifle as can a Garand shooting in Camp Perry type matches. Long Range I started in the Nation Shooting Program and shot initially an O3-A3 Springfield in three positions at West Point on the 300 and 500 yard ranges. Then to the Garand.

Still plenty of Bolt Actions in the hunting ranks too. Sign up at www.BurntPowder.com if you are a hunter and like bolt guns and www.accurateshooter.com if you are a bolt target gun kind of guy. Remington 700s only is a little restrictive, especially considering what had happened to this site.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

I would have to say 90% of the hunters around here use bolt rifles, even the younger crowd,
    You see a few use AR’s on the fur bearers,for running shots but everything else is mostly bolt rifles.

I agree that the hunters are still predominately bolt but not being a hunter myself I’m not sure how many younger shooters are actually hunters around here.
    Winston Churchill

Most true target shooters are bolt gun shooters too. The AR guys like to put a lot of rounds down range to hear a lot of Bang Bang Bang. Not my thing. I don't really get the attraction. For a home defense weapon I would rather have a handgun or a shot gun.

Bob
    Robert Kittine