Anybody got a xhr?

Anybody got a xhr?

So, I have this 700 xhr I bought new discounted a few years ago. This has been a work in progress,this thing doesn't like to group consistently.I put a B C medalist stock on it, and that helped,however I think it should be more consistent.i think it's a neat package and dont want to give up on it. Averages about 3 inch at 100yrds,the cold shot is great, it spreads out after the first round if you don't wait for it to cool. The barrel is floated to the recoi lug.it is a 7mm 08. Anybody else have a xhr? What do you think of it?

The triangular barrel has been hit/miss for most. Some can get better groups with a full choked 12 ga and others claim it's a tack driver. Regardless the barrel is considered a "Sporter weight" and needs plenty of cool down time between shot strings. I'd go buy a sand filled "Egg Timer". Shoot a round then turn the timer over. Don't fire another round until the sand runs out. Repeat for a max of 5 shots then take a coffee break. Most any sporter weight barrel will heat up pretty quickly and isn't really the best option for target or varmint shooting. The stock may improve it somewhat but the stock won't make the barrel heavier or make it run cooler

It has a nice action but the only real cure may be something like Benchmark, Bartlein, Krieger, barrel in a much heavier profile. Sendero, Heavy Varmint, Heavy Palma, or my favorite, an MTU profile.
    Last edited by Deadshot2; 07-17-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks for the reply Deadshot2.before the stock change it was a 6 1/2 inch group on a good day. I don't know anyone, or talked to anyone who has one of these,maybe they don't want to admit they payed down some coin on one.I'll play with it some more and if no success, might rebarrel to a 260 rem. And try the 6.5 thing for fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    The triangular barrel has been hit/miss for most. Some can get better groups with a full choked 12 ga and others claim it's a tack driver. Regardless the barrel is considered a "Sporter weight" and needs plenty of cool down time between shot strings. I'd go buy a sand filled "Egg Timer". Shoot a round then turn the timer over. Don't fire another round until the sand runs out. Repeat for a max of 5 shots then take a coffee break. Most any sporter weight barrel will heat up pretty quickly and isn't really the best option for target or varmint shooting. The stock may improve it somewhat but the stock won't make the barrel heavier or make it run cooler

It has a nice action but the only real cure may be something like Benchmark, Bartlein, Krieger, barrel in a much heavier profile. Sendero, Heavy Varmint, Heavy Palma, or my favorite, an MTU profile.
    This! I have a sporter 30-06 that starts stringing shots after 5. The first shot is always a flyer. But I can shoot 1 MOA for 3 shots after the first flyer. It's been that way since it was new. It has a few thousand rounds threw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freefloat View Post
    Thanks for the reply Deadshot2.before the stock change it was a 6 1/2 inch group on a good day. I don't know anyone, or talked to anyone who has one of these,maybe they don't want to admit they payed down some coin on one.I'll play with it some more and if no success, might rebarrel to a 260 rem. And try the 6.5 thing for fun.
    TBH, It should shoot better then that out of the box. A rebarrel and getting the action trued will turn it in to a new gun. It's worth the effort. Especially if you are looking for accuracy.

I don't have the XHR but i do have the VTR i love i got rid of the swiss cheese stock that it comes in and swapped it out for an AI stock and junked that XMP trigger for Timney its a really sweet rifle to shoot but yes it does heat up fast.
    DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Gonna rebarrel the XHR, Thinking about a barrel from Nemesis Machine .
    Anyone have any history of doing business this company?

After trying many, the only barrels I now buy are Krieger ....... Except for Rim Fire .......... Then it's a Bartlein

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York