What Scope to I need
Join Today
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rkittine

Thread: What Scope to I need

What Scope Do I need

So, I have copied and pasted this from another thread. Keith posted:

Ok for a post filler. I've always hunted squirrels, deer, coyote, flying dragon spawn that eat a calf while it's being born. I target shoot when I get a chance. Heck I've got guns I've owned 10+ years and never shot just because they were too cheap not to buy. Now my dilemma , I never was any Optus person. Drs always said I had exceptional vision. Over the last few years that has left me. Old age. Now knowing less than squat about optics. Where do you say good enough. Spent more than the gun cost for scopes for a .300 Win mag, a 6.5 Creedmore and a .270 BDL. I could justify the $$ on the .300, if I want to kill from a distance then I need to up my game. Same with the 6.5 Creedmoor, if I want to pinch holes in paper or coyote from a distance I need to up my game. I'm luck if the stars align just right I can shoot a 809 yard shot on One place on my farm. The rest are 150-200 yard shots. How much can I justify spending on say 250-300 yard at best shots. Problem is I love guns. Will buy a bargain even if I have 2 just like it in the safe. But I have 7-8 non-black rifles in different calibers and with these eyes need optics on them all. So all you Yodas of Optics Please point me in a good general direction of decent affordable scopes so I can get 5-6 rifles mounted mainly just fro punching holes in paper or the occasional coyote killing. Thanks, Keith
    Last edited by rkittine; 03-16-2019 at 06:27 AM.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Hi Keith and welcome to the Forum. With the exception of some Woodchucks, I really do not hunt, but I do shoot 100/200/300 yard short range bench rest as well as 600/800 and 1,000 yard bench rest.

I am of the school that your optics have to be as up to the task as your rifle. Of course then you add the ammo, your ability and the weather conditions. Many of my scopes cost more than the rifles they are mounted on.

Back when I owned a gun shop, Leupold and Unertl were top of the list, with lots of scopes underneath that. Today there are a myriad of high quality scopes in various price ranges.

For me, though there are more expensive scopes, Like Marsh, most of the scopes mounted on my precision rifles are Nightforce. I have 8x36, 12x42 benrch rest models as well as 15x55 Competition Models. New they are going to run from about $1,200 to $2,500 a piece, but on sites like www.AccurateShooter.com you can find them used on a regular basis.

My next step down is to the Sightron Line of scopes, which I think are great scopes regardless of price.

Below that I have some of the higher model Vortex Scopes, but they are on my wood chuck guns.

When weight is an issue, like in Light Varmint, short range benchrest, I go to fixed powder scopes. 36X Weaver Target Models are actually excellent for the money as are the 40X and 45X Leupold and the 40 Sightron.

With Burris Signature Zee Rings and inserts, I can mount a scope, not worry about ring marks and set up the inserts for 0 or plus or minus moa increments so it is easy to shift from one shooting distance to another.

I am not a fan of cranking scopes to their limits on vertical and prefer to have them somewhere in mid-range, so if I am shooting 100/200/300 I am set up for 200 yards and don't mind on a quality scope with a lot of range, cranking down to 100 or up to 300, but I change the mounting when switching to 600/800 and 1,000 so at a sight in of 800 I can crank down to 600 and up to 1,000.

That is my 2 cents on scopes.

Other thoughts?

Bob
    Robert Kittine

The Sightron scopes are very hard to beat. I have them on all of my rifles with the exception of one Vortex. I wanted to try one just to see if they lived up to the Sightron. They ae OK, but IMHO not any better at the same price point. The Sightron S-TAC line is an excellent scope and I have had shop owners recommend them over Vortex. At count, I have five of them. I also picked up a Sightron SIII, again just to compare, and for my shooting needs, it is not a lot better than the S-TAC at half the price. I'm not a long range shooter. If I were, a upper range scope may be in order, but I don't currently need a $1000+ scope.
    Both Sightron and Vortex have a no question lifetime warranty, others may also but I havn't looked at anything else.
    You won't see a lot on Sightron on the web because I'm guessing they do not spent a lot of money on advertising. They may be actively advertising in the gun mags, but I don't read any of those. I probably should.
    Last edited by rlandry6; 03-15-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    Bitter Gun Owner
    Bitter Clinger
    Armed Infidel

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Your buying habits sound a little like mine, a few years ago I bought 300 rounds of assorted factory.243 Win Ammo,with the majority of it 100 gr. Core-Loct at a moving sale for $40.00 and I didn’t own a .243 until about 2 months ago,had to get a rifle for the ammo.
    Anyway most of my shooting is under 400 yards,and I lean toward the Burris Fullfield ii and vortex vipers for those scopes.
    When I shoot target out to 800 yards I use the higher end Vortex on 2 of my .308’s I won’t take a hunting shot over 400 yards.
    I thought about removable mounts to swap scopes but if I get it sighted in good I don’t like messing with it,so I leave them alone and buy more scopes ha ha.

If you have the budget, that is the way to go. I only change scopes (really rings and bases) when I want to radically change the yardage that I shoot at.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Supporting Vendor
    Good morning
    As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss different options and what might be the best for you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, and let's see what's the right fit for your need and budget
    Thank you for your continued support.
    If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
    Doug
    Camera Land
    720 Old Bethpage Road
    Old Bethpage, NY 11804
    516-217-1000, 212-753-5128
    Please visit our web site @ www.cameralandny.com
    Long Islands Largest Camera and Sports Optics Superstore

Please visit www.PelagicOutfitters.com for your Fishing Tackle needs

Now many different technologies have been invented based on the user's needs and various binoculars are made with different functions. Binoculars Bushnell 197842 Legend Ultra HD E-Series 8×42 https://opticzoo.com/best-hunting-bi...r-200-reviews/ designed for people wearing glasses. I myself had such a task I read many reviews. This model with a long eye relief and an ultra-wide field of view presents comfortable viewing as well. The twist-up eyecup is also easy to adjust adding to the comfort it delivers even for people wearing glasses.

And if you are not signed up for Camera Land's drawings for free stuff, go to their web site and do that. Fortunately for me I live on Long Island.

Bob
    gr8fuldoug likes this.
    Robert Kittine