What do I need to mount my scope?
Join Today
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rkittine

Thread: What do I need to mount my scope?

Question What do I need to mount my scope?

I am going to sound like a total newbie, because I am. Just purchased my rifle and I am looking to ad a scope to it. Looking online and I can't tell which mount I need to go with....? The scope mount will screw directly to the top of the barrel, so which method is this called? Also, is it better to go with the pair of rings, or one piece? Thanks in advance.

Hi Rusty and welcome to the Forum.

I used to live in Franklin and though not that close, spend a good amount of time sucking down BBQ in Memphis.

A lot of what you do to mount a scope is personal preference. But lets start with the basics.
    What rifle are we talking about? (Important to know the action we are talking about)
    Is it a single shot or repeater?
    What Caliber (I ask this because of the size of the opening of the action for extraction?
    What type of shooting will you be doing?
    What yardages?
    What scope are you thinking about using? Power and Objective size will influence the ring size you need.

My benchrest rifles are all single shot and to be able to get off many shots quickly if the winds are changing, I do not like a rail across the action if it is top opening like a Remington 700. If it is a side port, than that is a different story.

A rail will help align your mount better if the screw holes in the receiver are slightly off. If they are way off (which some times does happen) get new ones drilled and tapped by a competent gunsmith if you don't want problems.

If you are going to shoot Long Range - 500 yards or more, than you should have a mount with some elevation already built into it like a 20 MOA rail. Scopes work best when the adjustments are somewhere in their mid point range, not cranked all the way to the most adjustment they can have.

If you are doing precision target shooting a long ranges, most shooters will hand lap or even bed their scope rings. I find that the Burris Signature Z rings with MOA adjustment inserts will do a few things for you.
    First you will not have to lap your rings and the inserts will slightly compress and eliminate that need.
    Second, you will end up with NO, ZERO, NADA ring marks on your scope
    Put on a 20 MOA mount and depending how you set the rings, you will be able to make adjustments and use your scope at a broad range of yardages say 50 to over 1,000.

I only use a hand torgue driver so I can set the screws at exact pounds to make sure the scope is effectively mounted, but not damaged.

Now, I am a purist when it comes to rifle accuracy. If you will be using the gun for hunting at 50 - 150 yards etc., many will go to the store, bout a set of Weaver Standard Mounts for the action they have and a package of rings in the appropriate height for the size of the objective of the scope they are using.

Give us some input and I think you will get plenty of suggestions.

Bob
    digger likes this.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

What brand and model of gun?
    What scope are you going to put on it?
    And depending on the above, will determine what rings you need.

With the above information, you will get better information.

Good Luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

It is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. Scope is a Vortex Viper HS-T. I would like to reach out to 1,000 yards eventually.

Set it up right and you will be able to shot 1,000 yards with that cartridge, gun and scope.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBolt View Post
    It is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. Scope is a Vortex Viper HS-T. I would like to reach out to 1,000 yards eventually.
    20 MOA Scope base. I would personally use a scope base that has a pin or some form of stopping lug built into it. As for rings steel or aluminum they both work. I would look into the Leupold Mark 4 rings very solid. I have been using their steel rings for a long time.

As for mounting a scope I would suggest you look into a torque wrench system. What I sell through my business is the Fix-It-Sticks. There is a version that has the multi torque in one tip. They are a bit pricey but its a must have tool if you're shooting long distance and in need for precision. SO with that said the best way to mount a scope in my opinion is a plumb line drawn on a bigger sheet of paper. And align the scope crosshair with the line on the paper. The paper can be set at about 50 yards its what I do. This way if the bottom of the scope turret house is not quit square you will be okay. Incase the you're trying to level the scope off the turrets they to can be off by a bit. Point being you want that crosshair as square as possible. This is so when you dial up your turrets they are moving in a straight line. One other thing is after mounting the base you will want to get a level system that installs on the scope base to have the rifle level when leveling the scope.

I can really sit down and write a manual if need be to help you get it all done right. But if this makes sense thats fine to.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp