Zoom wheel....
Join Today

Thread: Zoom wheel....

Zoom wheel....

The zoom wheel on my scope is VERY HARD to move...

More often than not I have to grab it full handed to make it turn...

Now my question is this....

I've seen guys use two fingers to turn them on other scopes. Do they 'loosen' as you use them? Or is there an adjustment? I never thought of myself as a weakling... Lol... But I'm thinking about coming up with a way to add a 'lever' to it so it's easier to use.

Or is this normal, and you shouldn't move it once your aiming...

Again, I'm new to shooting, still learning, it just seems like it should be a little easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

you looking for a cat tail

Rifle Scope Accessories | LaRue Tactical

universal cat tail or switchview for scope 2 for20

just do a search on google for "cat tail for rifle scope"
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
    - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

OK..here we go...what type of scope are you running...? some pics would be nice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

This could be a toughie. When a scope adjustment becomes difficult after it was working easier this can be a sign that the sealing o-rings have swelled up due to exposure to gun cleaning chemicals or just filled with dust to make a glue like mix out of the original lube used when assembled.

There really isn't an adjustment on most scopes. It often takes a trip to the manufacturer for repair.

On some scopes that's a bigger hassle than their worth. On others it's more than worth it and with the higher priced scopes it can often be a "free service".

It's all going to depend on the scope.

As for me, I rarely change magnification. Only use two settings as a rule. One for the calibrated ranging function and the rest of the time it's at MAX.

It has always been hard to move... It just seems like it should be easier to move... But leaving it at max makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
    OK..here we go...what type of scope are you running...? some pics would be nice.
    I think more than 'Is my scope broke?' I'm really asking is it normal for the zoom to be tight, or should it be more or less easy to move?

It is a 'Redfield' revenge... It has always been hard, and I just thought I would see what the thoughts are on it. (The hard adjustment, not the scope.)

I tend to set it before I shoot and not mess with it, but I don't know if that is because it's hard, or because I just don't move it.... Bit of a chicken and egg thing. That's why I was asking

The other issue might be that the grease inside the scope is to much and when you turn the magnification ring the erector inside has a hard time moving. If you say its always been like this then either is broken inside or the grease theory (because I dont have the scope to look at it personally) will be the issue. Redfield should have warranty on their scopes no? Not to familiar with their warranty service they have on their scopes. But if its LL warranty I would send it back and have them fix it.

Another thing that happens on exposed turret scopes (this is a different part of hard to turn problem) is like you stated here Histoshooter is they also get hard to turn and especually in the winter and reason is grease. Maybe try warming up the scope with warm cloth or some other way you might have an idea about but get it warm and see if that changes the way the magnification ring rotates.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

Thanks for the extra information. If you have a hair dryer, use it to put some direct heat around the parallax adjuster and see if it loosens up the turning effort. Also, if there is a set screw that allows you to remove the cap itself, you may be able to see if excess grease is the problem. If it has a "O" ring seal, you can inspect that as well.