Vortex viper scope bases and rings
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vortex viper scope bases and rings

Scope came in and I'm still restoring the gun. Still waiting on Jewell trigger (back ordered). Give some recommendations on what to mount with. 30mm tube 50 mm lens. Putting on stock model 700.

You could go with some pretty inexpensive rings that would hold the scope on the rifle but I seriously don't recommend it.

My recommendation would be to get a good heavy duty picatinney rail that has full width slots and no slot down the middle. Something like the EGW HD rails that sell for around $70. Made of 7075-T6 aluminum that is more than strong enough. Steel will set you back $50 more for not much more gain in durability.

For the rings, I would suggest a set of "Picatinney ONLY" rings, not those that will also fit on Weaver mounts. The true Picatinney rings have a wider cross bolt or stud on the bottom that fits the picatinney rail nice and snug. No fore and aft movement. Many make rings that fit both weaver and picatinney rails. The cross bolt is narrow enough to fit the smaller weaver slot therefore they are sloppy on the picatinney rails.

I would take a good look at Seekins or Badger rings. The Seekins are less expensive than the Bagder but are every bit as durable. These rings are machined in pairs and serial numbered as sets. No lapping required as you'll find with a lot of the less expensive rings. Vortex also offers a good set that are similar in price and design to the Seekins.

An added note on the design, Seekins and the Vortex Precision Matched 30mm rings do not use a cross-bolt to secure them to the rail. They use torx screws (T-25 on the Seekins) and this gives you a nice clean setup. No 1/2" "head" sticking out the side to snag on your gear. Much nicer setup.

As they say at the Seekins website, base and rings are often overlooked as to their importance. People will buy a good scope, put it on cheap mounts, then blame the scope when there are accuracy or repeat-ability issues.

Take it from a guy who has a box full of inexpensive rings, pay a few bucks extra and do it right the first time around.

If you can post some info on the rifle and also what you are willing to spend or a rough number. Then if you want a 0 MOA base or a 20 MOA base.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

That's for all the info, good stuff. Not sure about moa's on the bases? It's a 270 win. Proberly not going to be shooting past 500 yards. I was thinking zero moa on the bases. I like the Seeking's bases and rings. Nice n clean. First time doing a build. Was going to go ground up but the guns a real shooter. Figured all the goodies would transfer one day if I start buying Barrells and new receivers. Here's a group at 100 yards before I started, the one on the right.. I'll keep you posted. I'm having fun right now, wife don't care much for it! Hehe. Ps: do I need moa built into my bases?
    Last edited by Calledin2tn; 03-09-2015 at 04:47 PM.

MOA built into a base is not a bad thing to have even if you only shoot at 100 yards. Reason I say this is if you ever want to extend the distance you have the base installed and ready to go. Most people think Oh I dont really need it I only shoot short range. Well what happens if you all of a sudden want to go long? Buy another base?

The thinking is that a 20 MOA base will not let you shoot at 100 yards. Wrong it will work just fine. Its like saying your a millionaire and have two options a nice car with 500 HP or one with 800 HP. I'm willing to say not many that will say well I only want the 500 HP car because I only drive 55 MPH and no more. Well what happens if you have some open road and you want to step on it a bit.... Ok maybe not the best analogy but you can understand my drift

Firearm Pimp

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I'll get 20moa. Good stuff! Thanks for the help.

Should I just go with a 30 moa ? I'm looking the EGW mpn80103 pica tinny rail from optic planet?

Quote Originally Posted by Calledin2tn View Post
    Should I just go with a 30 moa ? I'm looking the EGW mpn80103 pica tinny rail from optic planet?
    20 MOA is fine. 30 MOA you will be over doing it.

Firearm Pimp

Thanks!

Ok I pulled the trigger on EGW HD bases and rings, had to swallow real hard for that price! I think I made the right choice. Not real happy with there beefy looks but was willing to sacrifice looks for true alignment bases and rings. Can't find a trigger anywhere? I guess the remington trigger prob. Has them all sold out. When I get the stock done I'll post some photos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast