Scope for shooting out 1000 yards
Join Today

Scope for shooting out 1000 yards

OK Guy's I'm in the market for a new scope. I have an old Jap Tasco 8-32x50 World class plus with the target turrets, its a very nice piece of glass its of 1999-2000 vintage. But it has the very fine cross hair and a fine centre dot, more of what you would call a bench rest scope so I'm thinking i need something like a mil dot scope was looking at the bushnell Elite 4.6-30x50. At the moment I'm shooting 100 200 and 300 yards but would like to shoot out to 1000. I get the chance maybe once twice a year to shoot out to a 1000. What do you guys use?

cheers Alun
    DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Night Force NXS mil dot

Cool thats one thats on my list to look at what max mag would you go for i was also looking at the Vortex scopes. What id really like to know for you guy's that shoot the longer ranges is what scopes you use and what made you pick that scope. Price mag reticule etc?.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

For 1,000 Yard paper punching or varminting, depending on your budget and weight restrictions, if any, I like the Nightforce 12-42x56 Benchrest and the Competition models. About $1,000 difference between the two. There are a few goot reticles that you might like.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    For 1,000 Yard paper punching or varminting, depending on your budget and weight restrictions, if any, I like the Nightforce 12-42x56 Benchrest and the Competition models. About $1,000 difference between the two. There are a few goot reticles that you might like.

Bob

I use one of these for ALL my LR shooting regardless of the target. Great scope. As for reticles, take a good look at the MOAR with smaller "lines" than the NPR-"x" reticles. Kind of a combination of "Tactical" and "Benchrest". If you even THINK you will ever want to range-find with a reticle get one with MOA or Mils for reticle and turrets. BR scopes are nice but you are hamstrung if you ever need to "range" with it.

I have the 12-42 BR with the NP-R2 for my 40X In 6mmBR Norma. I use a separate range finder if I do not know the ranges, but where I shoot, even for woodchucks, we have range markers out on the fields from our shooting position.

My 15-55 Competition has the FCR-1 Reticle. That is on a Borden BRM action in 6.5x47L

Love Nightforce scopes and Burris Signature Rings. Though there is a Davidson set up on the Borden,

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Cheers guy's ill be using this just for target paper punching only i do really like the NF but i think these may be way out of my price range. Ive found a x42 mag but over here in the UK its like £2500. And you really don't see them second hand as people tend to hang onto them.
    AL

Quote Originally Posted by speedthing View Post
    Cheers guy's ill be using this just for target paper punching only i do really like the NF but i think these may be way out of my price range. Ive found a x42 mag but over here in the UK its like £2500. And you really don't see them second hand as people tend to hang onto them.
    AL
    Another brand that is often overlooked but has great "glass" is Sightron. You can get a scope that is clear enough to see 1k for about half the price of a NF.

The Sightron SIII SS 10-50x60 Side Focus Long Range Riflescope sells at Amazon for just over $1100 USD. A lot of them have been used here by the Benchrest Shooters. You might check to see if they have a UK distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by speedthing View Post
    OK Guy's I'm in the market for a new scope. I have an old Jap Tasco 8-32x50 World class plus with the target turrets, its a very nice piece of glass its of 1999-2000 vintage. But it has the very fine cross hair and a fine centre dot, more of what you would call a bench rest scope so I'm thinking i need something like a mil dot scope was looking at the bushnell Elite 4.6-30x50. At the moment I'm shooting 100 200 and 300 yards but would like to shoot out to 1000. I get the chance maybe once twice a year to shoot out to a 1000. What do you guys use?

cheers Alun
    Do yourself a favor and fork out the money for a Leupold 3.5x10x40. You cant go wrong and you can effectivly get out to the range your looking for, (1K) No problems!
    V/R
    Chris

Cheers guys thats given me a few scopes that i might of passed on my local RFD is a Sightron dealer so ill defo have a look at those ill also have a look at the Leupold as well but they tend to be harder to come by.
    AL