Magnification range
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Magnification range

Magnification range

I'm looking to buy my first scope ever its going on my vls for mainly coyote hunting out to about 450 yards I've narrowed it down to the vortex viper hs but I'm trying to figure out if I'd be better off with the 2.5-10x44 or the 4-16x44. I know the 2.5 will give me a better field of view for short range but I am worried that the 10x won't be enough at longer ranges The gun will be used in farmers fields only not in the bush any advice would be appreciated

I have used 10x scopes out to 550 yards and could spot a 3" red dot really well.... Heck I would see a 10" target out to 850 yards on 10x. You will be good to go.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

Thanks for the response it helps put my noob mind at ease

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

A 10x fixed scope was the standard for mil snipers for years.

That being said from what you described. I would go with the 4x14. The little extra mag might help pick out your target against the background. On 4 power it should still give you good field of view to about 50-75 yards. I used a 4x on top of my 30-30 for years deer hunting in the woods.

But you would not be wrong with either of those scopes.

I have to agree that you can't go wrong with either scope but if I had to chose between the 2 I'd go for the little more magnification. The difference between 2.5 and 4 isn't that much and having the extra magnification on the higher end is "nice" although not "needed" as I know everyone I have ever heard say 10x is more then enough for 600-800 yards. Of course being able to compare them side by side would be the best option if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCameraMan79 View Post
    I have to agree that you can't go wrong with either scope but if I had to chose between the 2 I'd go for the little more magnification. The difference between 2.5 and 4 isn't that much and having the extra magnification on the higher end is "nice" although not "needed" as I know everyone I have ever heard say 10x is more then enough for 600-800 yards. Of course being able to compare them side by side would be the best option if possible.
    That extra magnification can sometimes be more than just nice. I like the 42X on my scope because I don't have to lug around a spotting scope anymore
    TheCameraMan79 likes this.

100% with you there ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    That extra magnification can sometimes be more than just nice. I like the 42X on my scope because I don't have to lug around a spotting scope anymore

Unfortunately the local shop just has the 2.5 in stock so I can't do a side by side comparison but I think I'm going to go with the 2.5-10 for the larger field of view thanks for all the advice

If you can't directly compare them at the top end to see the added magnification benefit its easy enough to look through it at 2.5 and then set it to 4 and look through it to see what you'll "lose" FOV wise with the 4-14. Just a suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdog243 View Post
    Unfortunately the local shop just has the 2.5 in stock so I can't do a side by side comparison but I think I'm going to go with the 2.5-10 for the larger field of view thanks for all the advice

How important is parallax adjustment the 4-16 has it but the 2.5 doesn't it is set to 100 yards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast