Sun shade for scope
Join Today

Sun shade for scope

Does anyone use a sun shade for their scope? If you do what length do you use and is it helpful? I found a 3 inch and a 5 inch shade for my scope I am considering.

I used to use them but found them to just get in the way. Not only that, the extra length on the objective can lead to more damage should you ever drop the rifle. More leverage.

Consider an ARD (anti-reflective device) instead. They're little "Honeycomb-like" devices that fit between scope and scope cap. Best of them are made by Tenebraex and sold by Europtic.

[/url]http://www.eurooptic.com/tenebraex-ard.aspx[/url]

They not only cut down on glare on the lens but will also keep your quarry from being alerted due to flash from the front lens in the light.

To add, Tenebraex makes some of the best scope lens covers out there. I put a set on my NightForce and found them well worth the money. Several times more expensive than the Butler Creek "commodity" scope caps but you'll probably never have to buy another set again, as long as you own your scope, regardless of how badly you handle it.

As always, just my thoughts on the subject based on a lot of years "playing with guns"

Thanks for the input. I will probably lean towards the ard that way I don't have the added length to a already long scope. Will the Leupold ard fit a redfield? I haven't seen any redfield scope add ones

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I use shades on my 700's. They're about 3". I believe they came with the scopes - don't hold me to that. I would'nt be without one for the long range rifles.

I can't compare to ARD because I haven't used one.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler — 1933

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy jack View Post
    Thanks for the input. I will probably lean towards the ard that way I don't have the added length to a already long scope. Will the Leupold ard fit a redfield? I haven't seen any redfield scope add ones
    If you can lay your hands on a sun shade from a Leupold of the same objective size, see if it will screw in. If so you can then use the Leupold adapter.

If not, there are ARD's that fit between scope objective and a Butler Creek scope cap. You may have to go that route as this type of ARD doesn't need threads for mounting.